So what's the deal with Gigapets?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I've got a question, are Gigapets worth it, or are they just a knock off Tamagotchi? I know some people really like them, but I'm not sure if its better than the average Tamagotchi ripoff.

Thanks!

(also the reason this is here is I didnt know where else to post it lol)

I found the modern ones to be good fun, but I never liked the originals because they were far too demanding. If you pick up a modern Giga Pet (or "Giga Pets AR"), be sure to look for a "Version 2" release, as these fixed some problematic bugs!

Have the Giga pets a growth chart or evolution stages too? Or is it just feed, play and care?

I’m a bit late but in my opinion GigaPets aren’t as good as Tamagotchi, but they are different enough that trying a GigaPet is worth it.

The currently available ones are inexpensive and if you like the particular animal it can be a fun and easy pet to run if you feel burnt out on Tamagotchi which are more demanding than a modern GigaPet. The old ones are indeed demanding and I’d only recommend seeking one out if you wanted to see for yourself the differences. I don’t have many old ones, but one of my favorites is Floppy Frog and they just released a new frog not to long ago so it is nice to me to have both. I feel the frog really lends itself to this type of vpet, and for me I just like the color green and it gives me Keroppi vibes on a budget price :)

If you like farming games GigaFarm is one of my favorite vintage GigaPets too. It lets you raise a couple animals and crops simultaniously.

Of the modern ones my other favorites are Starcat-Compukitty and Tech T-Rex. I also like the Trolls but I had issues with getting one with a good screen (my first one was very faint but I got it replaced).

I wasn’t thrilled with the Pixie. I thought it looked cute, but the wings and antenna make it harder to store for me. I got a second one and removed the wings and like it a lot more to play, but it does have gaps in the plastic. The gameplay is also a lot more demanding. I’ve held off giving this one to my 6-year-old till hes a bit older. He has really enjoyed the others (dino, unicorn, dog, frog, cat). I love rainbows and unicorns but Virtual Unicorn was my least favorite of the ones I’ve played. They each have different tricks and games and I just didn’t prefer it myself. I haven’t played the dog.

Last edited:
Have the Giga pets a growth chart or evolution stages too? Or is it just feed, play and care?
Their evolution stages are minor basically baby stage and after a few days adult stage. The unicorn is unique as turns into a winged unicorn if your care is high enough (I believe between 90-100) so it will dip in and out of that during the day as you care for it. The frog has more stages compared to the others. These are basically feed, play, care as you describe.

The pixie has an evolution path. Depending on the potions you use will determine which character you get. It will turn into the character Thorn with a low care score, and with higher care it will transform back into whichever character you are on.

Last edited:
Personally I love the Giga pets, I had one of these first, before I ever had a Tamagotchi or any other sort of vpet. The 90's pets are harder to care for, but the newer edition pets are charming and more forgiving. I only have the Pixie at the moment, I have one of the older AR Unicorns and it is buggy, so it's a no-play for me. I don't mind the wings that much on the Pixie's shell. I hope to eventually get the Frog as well, and maybe the T-rex, too. Pixie has cute sprites and a very nice evolution line. Most of the Gigas don't really evolve that much, with the exception of the Frog, as others have said. Gigas are easy to care for, but they do require a few naps throughout the day. Hope that helps!

I found the modern ones to be good fun, but I never liked the originals because they were far too demanding. If you pick up a modern Giga Pet (or "Giga Pets AR"), be sure to look for a "Version 2" release, as these fixed some problematic bugs!
How do you know what version in on sale right now? i just brought the pixel puppy

i have the origanal baby t rex from 1997 from the lost world, i have it running at the moment and yes there are very demanding u cant leave it for more than an hour max and all the bars are empty, and if u dont feed as soon as it wakes in the morning it gets sick within minites , i do love it though i am on day 7 and evolved 3rd time

I have the cat (star cat has lived since February and I assume will live forever unless I let it die or removethe battery), t rex, puppy (I have my original someplace) and unicorn. My biggest complaint is that they really go through battery but I buy big packs from Amazon so I always have a drawer full when I need them.

I have the cat (star cat has lived since February and I assume will live forever unless I let it die or removethe battery), t rex, puppy (I have my original someplace) and unicorn. My biggest complaint is that they really go through battery but I buy big packs from Amazon so I always have a drawer full when I need them.
does the star cat evole?

No it goes from a kitten to a cat but it does get wings occasionally I don't know if it's like the unicorn where it depends on care.
cool, the older ones from 1997 well my dino one changed 3 times so far his on day 8 doing well one that one, also started a tamagotchi 2 days ago and that died this afternoon :-( i must have left it and it for sick and died i guess but wasnt more than an hour or so crazy

Latest posts

Back