Suggestions on getting the tamagotchi anime series subbed in english

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klonoa13

Reaction score
So as I'm sure many of you are aware, the tamagotchi anime series has had an unfortunate situation of hardly being subbed by any subbing team outside of the first four episodes that were subbed by fandom services thanks in part to Emery, who commissioned the team to sub said episodes. As you can recalled, they had decided to scrap the idea of donations and decided to form a team of their own in order to get the rest of the series subbed in english.

Of course as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been much updates regarding on whether they're still trying to form a team or not. (Of course understandable that they are likely just super busy with RL priorities.)

But I do thankfully have a friend of mine who is actually offering to help translate the episodes with english subtitles. The only setback to this plan is that he needs someone to be able to do the timing for the subtitles, which from what I understand, is a very tedious process when it comes to subbing an anime. I did have another friend of mine (who will remain anonymous) who was offering to help do the timing for the episodes, but as of right now I haven't heard from whether they're still on-board to help with the timing or not.

So I was making this thread to see what you guys think would be the best option. (And of course if anyone here is familiar with doing timings for anime subs and willing to help out, we'd definitely love to hear from you!)

I had debated on whether to look for another person that can help with timing, or to try and commission a team if possible, much like what emery did originally. (Of course the setback is that we don't know how much it would take to commission someone to sub the entire anime series, and I don't know if people would be comfortable with the idea of opening up a donation to get the funds needed.)

But if anyone is willing to help out with the timing and knows the workarounds to doing so, definitely send me a message if you're willing to volunteer to help, otherwise let me know what you guys think would be a good option to do.

Last edited:
I've only done minimal video editing so admittedly I don't know much about the subject, but as a fan of old or obscure anime/manga I understand the frustration and desire for localisations and subs. Since a lot of these are fuelled by fans and not done by professionals, this often takes a while (life, waning interest in the production, difficulty finding a place to upload them, ect.) My best suggestion is to hire someone who already does edits for fan subs if the project interests them (though some might drop out of the project due to the reasons mentioned earlier) or learn the ropes of the most commonly used video editors for this kind of project (which would probably provide more consistent results, but might be more difficult).

I've only done minimal video editing so admittedly I don't know much about the subject, but as a fan of old or obscure anime/manga I understand the frustration and desire for localisations and subs. Since a lot of these are fuelled by fans and not done by professionals, this often takes a while (life, waning interest in the production, difficulty finding a place to upload them, ect.) My best suggestion is to hire someone who already does edits for fan subs if the project interests them (though some might drop out of the project due to the reasons mentioned earlier) or learn the ropes of the most commonly used video editors for this kind of project (which would probably provide more consistent results, but might be more difficult).
I honestly would LOVE if Discotek Media could get their hands on the tamagotchi anime license, as they're well-known for re-releasing obscured anime series and provided them with brand new official subs for home video releases (usually blu-ray) even anime series that had never once been dubbed before.

You'd be amazed at their catalog, a lot of the stuff they tend to release are anime series that have never been dubbed before, or were part of a series that did get dubbed, but never had everything dubbed in english or so. (Like they went and made sub-releases of those Zatch Bell Movies that Viz Media never dubbed before.)

But yeah, as I said, it's really the timing that he would need help on. If it wasn't for that, he probably would have already been releasing new subbed episodes left and right. He's got the translation work and everything else down, it's just timing that's preventing him from going forward with the idea.

Yeah that also worries me, bringing in someone who might end up losing interest or just end up having to drop out due to other reasons, especially considering tamagotchi is an anime series with I believe 271 episodes, so that already makes me a little worried knowing the amount of episodes there are.

iirc there WAS someone back in the day adding subs to the tamagotchi anime but it was far and few between, an anonymous individual calling themselves "mametchi", but afaik they could've stopped subbing as they asked for people to kindly not distrubute it(?).. thats all i can recall, iirc they subtitled the opening(and likely episodes)of tamagotchi yume kira dream.

That's....odd that they would be so secretive about not distributing their subbing work to the public, especially since if they already translated some episodes and the translation itself is accurate, then it would save us the trouble of subbing those exact episodes.

That's....odd that they would be so secretive about not distributing their subbing work to the public, especially since if they already translated some episodes and the translation itself is accurate, then it would save us the trouble of subbing those exact episodes.
They may have been concerned about getting some sort of legal repercussions; they may have even received a cease and desist.

They may have been concerned about getting some sort of legal repercussions; they may have even received a cease and desist.
I kinda find that hard to believe considering I don't recall ever seeing anyone receiving a C&D over subbing episodes, and the company behind the anime never seem to go out of their way to get the episodes taken down, especially considering the first four episodes that did get subbed are still available on YT even now.

I kinda find that hard to believe considering I don't recall ever seeing anyone receiving a C&D over subbing episodes, and the company behind the anime never seem to go out of their way to get the episodes taken down, especially considering the first four episodes that did get subbed are still available on YT even now.
Even if they didn't get a C&D letter, sometimes people can get weird about it. That said, if they're also the ones with the videos on the channel and it's not a reuplod, that's even more peculiar.

Even if they didn't get a C&D letter, sometimes people can get weird about it. That said, if they're also the ones with the videos on the channel and it's not a reuplod, that's even more peculiar.
I just find it really weird that they even reacted like this. I know a friend of mine did sub two episodes from miracle friends, but didn't do more after that. But I'm pretty sure those episodes are still available on YT right now.

I've been eager to see/get subs available for the anime for a long time and would be super down to help with setting up the timings for the subtitles. I'm not a professional or anything, but I was working on a personal project of translating the Nana Moon anime (Chinese bootleg tamagotchi franchise that had its own anime) so I managed to learn my way around making subtitle files, the only thing that really stopped me with that project is I don't speak Chinese and was doing it all myself translating and setting up the subs (My own background is in linguistics so I was able to interpret/translate the best I could it was just a very time consuming process and was limited to really conveying just the vague messages without any nuance or details that an actual Mandarin speaker/translator would get.) The creating of the subtitles themselves was the most managable part I found and if I was able to get a Mandarin speaker on board I'm positive I would've finished it (I'd still like to one day tbh.)

If I could be of any help at all with producing subs for the Tama anime I'd be more than happy to help out as it's something I've wanted to see done for a long time now! If you were more after a professional subber or someone with more experience though I completely understand, but I'd very much be down to contribute towards this out of just passion so the offer is there anyway!! Best of luck with this regardless though, would be amazing to have this accessible for the community after all these years!

I've been eager to see/get subs available for the anime for a long time and would be super down to help with setting up the timings for the subtitles. I'm not a professional or anything, but I was working on a personal project of translating the Nana Moon anime (Chinese bootleg tamagotchi franchise that had its own anime) so I managed to learn my way around making subtitle files, the only thing that really stopped me with that project is I don't speak Chinese and was doing it all myself translating and setting up the subs (My own background is in linguistics so I was able to interpret/translate the best I could it was just a very time consuming process and was limited to really conveying just the vague messages without any nuance or details that an actual Mandarin speaker/translator would get.) The creating of the subtitles themselves was the most managable part I found and if I was able to get a Mandarin speaker on board I'm positive I would've finished it (I'd still like to one day tbh.)

If I could be of any help at all with producing subs for the Tama anime I'd be more than happy to help out as it's something I've wanted to see done for a long time now! If you were more after a professional subber or someone with more experience though I completely understand, but I'd very much be down to contribute towards this out of just passion so the offer is there anyway!! Best of luck with this regardless though, would be amazing to have this accessible for the community after all these years!
Oh no as I stated, my friend is already taking care of the translation job so we're good on the translation, it was just the timing he needed assistance with that's really preventing him from moving forward with this idea.

If you're able to do timing and are willing to offer your services to him, then definitely hit me up and I can put you in contact with him! : D

Latest posts

Back