Summary of Tamagotchi Movie (spoilers)

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joepet

Reaction score
Just got back from watching the movie with my daughter. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Here's a quick summary:

The movie starts off fast, with Mamatchi finishing off his new invention. At the same time in another world, Tampopo is off to deliver a forgotten item to her mother. Both are about to become an older sibling, and both are wondering if they can handle the responsibilities.

Memetchi and Kuchipatchi arrive at Mametchi's house just in time to see Mametchi try out his new "Forwarding Machine" for the first time (the reason he invented this will become clear later). In the 60 seconds between activation and the start of "forwarding", several unlikely yet hilarious events (involving Kutchpatchi, of course) result in the aim of the Forwarding Machine to go off course, and Tampopo is brought into the Tamagotchi world. After everyone gets over the should of the situation, she is thrilled to see her favorite tamagotchis in person, but soon realizes that cannot get home. Fortunately, Mamechi's papa, mama, and their egg come in, and Papa Mametchi explains that they will invent a rocket and a way to send her back at the exact time she left. Relieved, Tampopo looks forward to the time she will spend living with Mametchi in Tamagotchi world until she can return home. The next day Tampopo gets a thrilling tour of Tamatown, which is bustling with preparations for the King's birthday.

Tampopo goes to Tama School to learn with the others (she sits next to Kuchipatchi). During the science class, an explosion plunges the room into smoke and darkness. Everyone is fine, but Mametchi crouches on the floor in terror. Later while eating with Tampopo, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi, Mametchi explains that since he was a small child who was once trapped in a dark place, he has been afraid of the dark. He tried many ways to get over his fear, but could not, and he fears he will be an embarassment to his little brother or sister. So he built the Forwarding Machine to bring himself his own private sun to follow him and give him light. The others are sympathetic, and Mametchi vows to begin experiements to make a little sun for himself.

One day, Papa and Mama go out, and Mametchi and Tampopo stay home to watch the egg (but not before giving Tampopo the "kizuna no kagi", a key that will take her back to the time when she was forwarded to Tamagotchi land...all she needs now is the rocket, which is still being built) Though several unlikely yet hilarious events, the egg bounds out the window, rolls down the street, and eventually falls into some ballons that end up caught on the top of a very high building. Repotchi breaks the story on live TV, and soon all of Tamagotchiland is watching Mametchi try to save the egg. Mametchi catches the egg, but falls off the building. Tampopo catches Mametchi, but they both fall. Memetchi throughs a rope to stop their fall, but she falls as well. Fortunately, KuroMametchi is watching and, through an ingenious use of Kuchipatchi, everyone is saved. The parents are not angry, as Mametchi took responsibility and did what it took to save the egg...which soon hatched into Mametchi's sister, Chamametchi.

A montage of events follow, as Mametchi grows to a kindergarden age tamagotchi while Mametchi finally succeeds in creating "Mametaiouchi", a little sun that will follow Mametchi everyone and always provide him with light. But just as this happened, the real Taiouchi (Tamagotchi land's sun) was flying overhead...

The next morning, it was dark outside. Taiouchi was nowhere to be found, and thus Tamagotchi World had no light from it's sun. Mametchi and the others found this odd, but went to school anyway. Somehow Chamametchi followed Mametchi to school, and after a short argument Mametchi agreed to let her come for the day. During more preparations, the Tamagotchi's were violently thrown into the air and heard a strange sound. It was soon discovered that Tamagotchi World had caught a cold. Mametchi ran to the Mame Invention Center to try to help, and overheard Mimizu kocho explaining that Taiouchi had left a note that said "I heard that Mametchi has finally succeeded in eventing a new sun. So I am going away. Goodbye." Mametchi is crushed, thinking that all of the current problems are his fault, and goes to bed without talking to anybody.

(I have to go now, but I will try to finish this up later...) :ph34r:

Wow Joepet, the movie sounds better than I expected it to be! Thank you so much for telling us about it.

I can't wait to read more! :)

~OM21

OK, here's some more! Before I continue I forgot one plot point in the last paragraph...the rocket for Tampopo had been completed, and Papa Mametchi handed Tampop a manual for working the rocket. When Mametchi and Tampopo ran to the Mame Invention Center, Mametchi said he wanted Tampopo to stay until she could see the birthday celebrations for the King.

Mametchi spent some time brooding in his bed...until finally coming to a decision. He snuck out of the house by himself and went to the completed rocket. He tried to launch it himself, but without the manual he couldn't figure out how. Suddenly, Tampopo, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi appeared. They all knew that Mametchi was thinking of going to search for Taiouchi and wanted to help. With the manual that Tampopo brought, they were about to take off...but just before the countdown ended, Chamametchi boarded the rocket, and they had no choice but to take her with them.

From above Tamagotchi World, they could see a slightly different sight: instead of drool coming from it's mouth, there was water running out of Tamagotchi World's nose. Suddenly, Papa Mametchi and the other scientists appeared on the video screen and demanded that they return. But when Mametchi tells Papa about how he knew that Taiouchi leaving was his fault, how Papa was not angry about the egg incident because of Mametchi taking responsibility, and that he's doing the same here, Papa Mametchi reluctantlly agrees. But Papa Mametchi also tells Mametchi that the scientists had worked all ngiht developing medicine for Tamagotchi World, and had mounted it on top of the rocket. They have only one medicine capsule, and only one chance of administering it to Tamagotchi World. Mametchi says he will push the button to launch the medicine...but as he's about to do so, Chamametchi jumps into his lap, and the medicine is shot well below it's mouth. All appears to be lost for the tamagotchis, but as luck would have it, the gob of runny nose liquid dips down low enough for the medicine to get stuck to the very bottom, and Tamagotchi World sucks it all up into his nose, and the medicine is somehow successfully administered.

At this point, Mametchi is about to go in search of Taiouchi...but while the medicine is doing its work inside of Tamagotchi World, it's nose gets tickled, and it lets out a mighty sneeze that sends the rocket far, far away, and outside of radio contact with the Tamagotchi World. Mametchi finally reaches the breaking point and rails against Chamaetchi, yelling at her to be quiet, and that she is to blame for always following him around and not listening to him. Tampopo tells Mametchi he said too much, and takes Chamatechi into another room to comfort her. Meanwhile, Memetchi and Kuchipatchi are actually relieved, because they were worried that Mametchi and Chamametchi had not been fighting, that it was natural for siblings to get on each others nerves, but that they were family, would eventually make up, and their bond would be stronger as a result.

Mametchi and the others join Tampopo and Chamametchi for several minutes of heartwarming bonding, where Mametchi and Chamametchi make up, and Tampopo now knows what's in store for her when her younger sibling is born and is no longer afraid of that responsibility. But the bonding comes to an abrupt end by the violent shaking of the ship, and they return to the command center to find that there are all sorts of objects flying towards them, and that they are drifting towards Mametchi's worst nightmare...a BLACK HOLE!

Will they get away, will they save Tamagotchi World, and will Tampopo return to her world!? Turn into the final installment to find out!

But I will say that at least one of the characters in the rocket will end up being sucked inside. :furawatchi:

And now, the conclusion!

Mametchi attempted to fire the retro rockets, but they could not escape the pull of the black hole. Suddenly, communications with the Mame Invention Center was restored, and they were also with many of Mametchi, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi's family and friends. Mametchi explained that they were being pulled towards a black hole...but one of the scientists looked and realized that that was not a black hole...it was Blackholechi! Blackholechi was sleeping, and sucking in everything around him, and they realized that the only way to save themselves was to wake him up. Mametchi activated the loudspeaker and every on the ship screamed out to try and awaken Blackholetchi...but a meteroid slammed into the ship and blocked up the hole so that no sound could come out. In desperation, Mametchi and Tampopo put on spacesuits to go out and try to dislodge the meteroid, and Mametchi left his Mametaiouchi behind to provide light and watch over the others. Tampopo and Mametchi were successful in dislodging the meteroid, but another hit saw Mametchi get sent flying away from the ship. Tampopo jumped off and caught Mametchi just as Mametchi's tether broke, but Tampopo and Mametchi were still in a very perilous situation.

With the meteroid dislodged, Memetchi, Kuchipatchi, and Chamametchi started shouting at Blackholechi again. Soon all of the people in the Mame Invention Center joined in, and the calls started spreading throughout Tamagotchi World (this is where most of the bit Tamagotchi characters such as Nonbiritchi and Kirinchi make their cameo appearances) Up to this point Mametchi himself has been paralyzed by fear, but at the pleading of Tampopo, he is finally able to overcome his fear of the dark, and joins in the call to awaken Blackholechi. However, Tampopo's tether also breaks, and Tampopo and Mametchi are sucked inside of Blackholechi.

After several seconds of everyone registering the shock, Chamametchi starts screaming for Blackholechi to wake up once more, and soon all of Tamagotchi World has joined in the call of "WAKE UP BLACKHOLECHI!", to the point where Tamagotchi World himself makes a loud cry. This finally reaches Blackholechi, who finally awakes from his slumber with a deadpan response "That was a good rest!" At that point we hear Mametchi calling out from within Blackholechi, and the universe's largest tamagotchi apologizes and returns them to the ship.

Just when all appears to have been resolved, communications are once again cut off, and a bright light appears in the cabin. From back in the Mame Invention Center, they note that the rocket has used up all of its power, and thus has no way of returning to Tamagotchi World. Everyone starts crying, but suddenly Mametchi's voice is heard announcing that they have returned! The light that had entered their cabin was that of the returning Taiouchi, who brought them all back to Tamagotchi World (Taiouchi later explained that the real reason he left was to go on a hot springs tour, adding "isn't my skin smooth now?"), and finally everyone is able to rejoice once more.

The celebration for the King's birthday can now begin, and a spectacular parade through TamaTown is shown. But midway through, Papa Mametchi finds Tampopo and tells her that, while the rocket will require a lot more time and repairs to get ready, Cometchi is about to fly by Tamagotchi World is willing to take Tampopo back to Earth. Hastily Tampopo, Mametchi and his family, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi go to the meadow to meet Cometchi. Tampopo finally opens up the bag that she was supposed to be taking to her mother, and sees it is the dress that she had worn when she was a newborn. Chamametchi cries that she doesn't want Tampopo to go, and a tearful farewell is had by all, with the Tamagotchis promising to never forget her.

Tampopo is back at her desk in her room, at just before the time she was forwarded to Tamagotchi World. She wonders if it was all a dream until she sees the "Kizuna no kagi" key that they had made for her. Just then her mother calls, and Tampopo tells her she's about to deliver her bag.

The credits roll to a montage of scenes from The Earth and Tamagotchiland, showing the Mametchi, Chamamtchi, and friends adjusting to life after Tampopo's departure, and Tampopo's life with her family and new baby brother. In the end, Tampopo is in her room when a light shines from a box, and she sees her Tamagotchi toy that she had left behind in Tamagotch World (which did not work in Tamagotchi World itself for some reason) From it she receives a letter from Mametchi telling her that she's returning her item, and that they will use this to tell them about the events of Tamagotchi World from time to time. Tampopo returns a message in her mind, saying that he little brother is loud and selfish, but that she loves him very much just the same.

I'll have some more thoughts and impressions in another post when I have time.

^_^ This is SO awesome! Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this, it's great! Can't wait to read more. :eek:

~Xx-Tama-Girl-Beth-xX

Wow...the movie sounds much better and interesting than I had originally predicted.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. ;)

~OM21

Some more ranmdom thoughts...

This was a rather well produced movie. The animation quality did not disappoint, and I thought that the voices fit the characters well. I was little worried about the voice of Kuchipachi that I heard on the original movie trailers, but it seemed to be "fixed" to something more "Kuchipatchilike" (for lack of a better descriptive word!) The voice of Repotchi changed greatly from the trailers, as they inserted talent/weather girl Aiko Kaido into the role instead of the previous voice actress.

For 500 yen, you can also purchase a very nice full color 30 page movie program. It is made in the shape of Mametchi's head, and has a picture of Mametchi on the front and Chamametchi on the back. Inside has lots of nice color pictures, story and character information, voice actress information, a nice breakdown on the history of Tamagotchi, and much more. Very nice and well worth the $5! :p

There was no mention of Uratamatown, nor did any of the Ura characters appear. The only two reasons I can think of for this is that either production of the animation was finished a long time ago, before they planned the Uratama, or that they designed this movie with a foreign release in mind, and didn't want to confuse the overseas audiences.

I doubt that this will receieve a theatrical release overseas, but I have to believe that it will at least come out on DVD. If they do release it overseas, I imagine they will cut out the scenes with "Achi" and "Shingochi", two tamagotchi based on a comedy duo in Japan. The whole concept of a "comedy duo" is unique to Japan, and the scenes they appear in do not really affect the plot of the storyline, so those parts will probably be cut to avoid confusion.

If the crowd at the movie was any indication, then I believe that the second Tamagotchi boom is coming to an end, if it hasn't ended already. On the last showing of the first day of its release, the theater we went to was maybe 25% full, in a very small room that held probably no more than 200. I'm sure the special event in Tokyo was full, but overall the current Tamagotchi scene in Japan seems to have nowhere near the popularity as other long running series such as Pokemon.

On another note, the new Tamagotchi TV show in Japan is quite nice, albeit very short (about two and a half minutes per episode per week) The first episode features Mametchi getting the classroom in order before Gorippa-sensei arrives; the second is about a Mametchi invention that meets with a lukewarm reception from Memetchi and Kuchipatchi, before it shows powers that Mametchi himself didn't know it had; and the third is about Memetchi and her bad hair day. On another forum, I posted about how to access them from a site called "NicoVideo", but the process is a bit complex and the site is all in Japanese. Maybe someone a little more technically savvy then I can figure out how to download them and put them on YouTube... :p

Here's a picture of the program I was talking about:

071216.jpg

Despite my impressions from the theater, the Tamagotchi Movie was actually the third highest grossing movie in Japan last weekend (behind "I am Legend" and another Japanese flick) with $1,117,182 in gross receipts, and it beat out all the other animation that was released that weekend including "Surf's Up" (6th) and "The Simpsons Movie" (16th)...so there may be some legs left in the Tamagotchi franchise yet.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?y...07&wk=50&p=.htm

Then again, the "Pretty Cure 5" anime movie did $1,562,646 of business in it's first weekend of release last month with less than half the screens of the Tamagotchi movie, so it's not exactly setting the country on fire either...

There's also a Tamagotchi movie commercial, found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJPmXhnMwg

I also came across a Tamagotchi Movie digest on Yahoo. It has TONS of movie clips, and Tanpopo narrates about the movie's events.

I'm trying to upload it, but it may take some time. xD

~OM21

Movie sales picked up over the holiday weekend, and total gross sales are close to $6,000,000 as of the weekend of the 5th-6th, putting it within about half a million of Disney's "Meet the Robinsons", about a million from the "Pretty Cure 5" movie (a popular comic that enjoys it's own TV show, and has been in the cinemas over a month longer) and "Beowulf", and well ahead of other anime such as "Surf's Up" and the new Sanrio movie focused on the Cinnamon character.

Couldn't find a breakdown by region, but I would guess that the half hour movie special that aired around Christmas in Tokyo may have brought in more new viewers, and perhaps more repeat business over the holidays as well (I've seen it twice myself. :ph34r: )

From what I've read, the movie is currently in 9th place at Japan's box office, and has made approx. US$6.5 million so far. Not bad at all, as far as I'm concerned. :)

And if anybody wants to see a 9 minute preview of the movie...

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png

~OM21

Does America have Tamagotchi comics like Japan does? It would be silly to have a movie in America without some kind of context on the characters that the manga provides.

The comics of 2007 are much different than the ones from 1997. Tamagotchi characters have become much softer and cute since then.

Kuchipachi's Blog is funny, now that they've stopped focusing on the movie and started focusing more on his exploits around Japan.

Kuchipachi's Blog is funny, now that they've stopped focusing on the movie and started focusing more on his exploits around Japan.
I noticed, it's really cute! xD

No, America hasn't gotten the manga yet. I'd like to see the Japanese manga sometime though, and hope the rest of the world gets a taste of it soon. :(

~OM21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back