Tamagotchi on MAME

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leogames2012

Reaction score
While searching the web,I found that the USA version of the original Tamagotchi is emulatable and can be played on MAME

Do they have any information on this?

Proof

What a strange addition to MAME this is! :oo (I would've expected to see this listed with regard to MESS, instead.)

I'm surprised to have not heard about this before, especially since it was apparently added back in 2015! Surely there are screenshots or videos out there somewhere, given that.

Hey, @hwd45, you're really big on Tamagotchi preservation and suchlike - do you know/have you heard anything about this? :huh:

What a strange addition to MAME this is! :oo (I would've expected to see this listed with regard to MESS, instead.)

I'm surprised to have not heard about this before, especially since it was apparently added back in 2015! Surely there are screenshots or videos out there somewhere, given that.

Hey, @hwd45, you're really big on Tamagotchi preservation and suchlike - do you know/have you heard anything about this? :huh:
I have indeed; this is one of a very small handful of Tamagotchis that have had code dumps. As I recall this was done optically, so they literally read off the 1s and 0s off the chip rather than finding an exploit to automate reading the data off.

As I recall this was done optically, so they literally read off the 1s and 0s off the chip rather than finding an exploit to automate reading the data off.
Oh wow! :oo Would I be correct in guessing that this was made at least a little bit easier due to the relative simplicity of the original devices?

Oh wow! :oo Would I be correct in guessing that this was made at least a little bit easier due to the relative simplicity of the original devices?
I’d assume so yeah, as I recall the full data is VERY small indeed, whereas something like a connection version would be a bit larger. Currently some of the discussions surrounding how to dump the Connection versions are suggesting that we might have to take a similar approach for those devices, so hopefully something comes of that soon (and it doesn’t end up being an absurdly large task)!

I’d assume so yeah, as I recall the full data is VERY small indeed, whereas something like a connection version would be a bit larger. Currently some of the discussions surrounding how to dump the Connection versions are suggesting that we might have to take a similar approach for those devices, so hopefully something comes of that soon (and it doesn’t end up being an absurdly large task)!
I don't envy anyone that task! :oo

There's only one more thing that I'm wondering: Is the MAME (or MESS?) support still only preliminary, and is that why there doesn't seem to be much visibility for this? I'm really surprised to not have seen it come up on YouTube when I've looked for videos about the Tamagotchi Game Boy games, for example.

I don't envy anyone that task! :oo

There's only one more thing that I'm wondering: Is the MAME (or MESS?) support still only preliminary, and is that why there doesn't seem to be much visibility for this? I'm really surprised to not have seen it come up on YouTube when I've looked for videos about the Tamagotchi Game Boy games, for example.
I think a lot of it is that not many people have heard of the MAME support yet. I actually played it not too long ago and it wasn’t so bad!

Latest posts

Back