Tamagotchi ON Wonder Garden

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until we get official word I do not want to believe that those are the only 2 new characters we are going to get on top of just 1 new land. Someone was speculating on the FaceBook group that if the Alice in Wonderland characters are the only characters to be in this version is because Disney does not have rights over that franchise, whereas Cinderella and Aladin Disney has rights over.
No. Disney dont have rights on these, until you reproduce the same design. Some these stories have been written centuries before Walt Disney even can spell his name.

Well I'm also not that surprised that the new tama is probably only gonna have one special Land. The Fairy and Magic themes also only  have one special Land. But im still sad anyways...  :(

But hey, at least it's something new!  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bandai-america-launches-tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden-301072013.html

A Website named Cision has an article on the Wonder Garden. The article further confirms that the new characters are only the YumeKira duo Alice in Wonderland variations, one new land (in place of Magic/Fairy land) and describes the two new games in the device. 

The more interesting part is that they seemed to have received a statement from a representative, named Tara Badie, and she gave percentages stating that 67% of people with a Tamagotchi On play with Friends and 96% of Tamagotchi On users enjoy the device so much that they would purchase another version. She continues by saying ""That's why we continue to innovate and bring new products to the market. There's no slowing down for Tamagotchi!"" 

I want to hear more statements from Bandai representatives/officials, because I want to understand the thought process behind this release. Is the On doing really well, making them release another version or is it under-performing and they decide to try to garnish some attention by adding a new version to keep the hype up around the devices they released last year. Why only release half of a version that Japan already has? What made them release the device at this time, was there any delays or push back of release date that we never knew about? 

I mean all these questions in a genuine sense of curiosity and not mean, hateful or defamatory towards Bandai. I am just really curious about the reasons behind this version and also REALLY interested in the sale numbers for the Tamagotchi On itself. 

***EDIT***

https://tamagotchi.com/introducing-the-tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden/

The Tamagotchi website has the Wonder Garden models up and with a description, it looks like the description Wal-Mart, Amazon and the Cision article had/have were/are correct. 

The retailers for this version are amazon, Wal-Mart, GameStop and Target. they dropped a few retailers, but they are not as plentiful around the North American continent. 

It's really sad to me, I'm an adult with a job, but $60 for this seems pretty extreme when I already have a Magic On. They would have had to put extra effort into stripping it down, rather than just translating all the software. I was actually really excited to have access to Prince Mametchi and Lamp Kuchipatchi.

"Tamagotchi On users enjoy the device so much that they would purchase another version."

I want to hear more statements from Bandai representatives/officials, because I want to understand the thought process behind this release. Why only release half of a version that Japan already has? What made them release the device at this time, was there any delays or push back of release date that we never knew about? 
The answer of your first question is in your post. People are ready to buy a new version. So they did this lazy version of the meets because apparently fans outside of japan buy wathever they released this year. Why do more when in 2020 you can sell for 20 $ nano tamagotchis ? Once again, the screen is black and white and the software really basic. And most of all, outside japan, they dont compete with anyone so...

For the release date everything is fine. They tease this tamagotchi at the new York toy fair some month ago, so time is not an excuse.

The answer of your first question is in your post. People are ready to buy a new version. So they did this lazy version of the meets because apparently fans outside of japan buy wathever they released this year. Why do more when in 2020 you can sell for 20 $ nano tamagotchis ? Once again, the screen is black and white and the software really basic. And most of all, outside japan, they dont compete with anyone so...

For the release date everything is fine. They tease this tamagotchi at the new York toy fair some month ago, so time is not an excuse.
With the first part, I just want to see more information on the data and percentages to back up the claim. I mean they can kind of say anything and not need to have anything backing up the statement.

I know that it was shown at the toy fair, but that does not mean it has to be released within a specific time frame. 

With the first part, I just want to see more information on the data and percentages to back up the claim. I mean they can kind of say anything and not need to have anything backing up the statement.

I know that it was shown at the toy fair, but that does not mean it has to be released within a specific time frame. 
Well the tamagotchi on is doing well all year long. A lot of time out of stock etc... And as she said they will keep going with tamagotchi so everything is fine. They dont have to share statistics to explain them choices. That's what gouvernement do, not company. They sell something, buy it or not, like it or not. Off course i would like to have some informations too but...

For the time line, all we know is at the time of the toy fair, the same lady i think, had done an interview for a podcast, and she tease a new tamagotchi on for fall. 

https://tamagotchi.com/introducing-the-tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden/

upon reading this informational blog post BanDai posted on the Tamagotchi website, Best Buy and Entertainment Earth will become retailers added into selling this version, they have not stated if they will sell the Fairy and Magic versions will be among the listings online or on the shelf in stores together! I am sure there will be more information on these small details later, I will try to keep everyone updated  ^_^

UPDATE

Specific Listings from the given retailers compiled in one post.

Analysis of Each Retailer:

1. Amazon Listings:

Lavender: https://smile.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-On-Wonder-Garden-Lavender/dp/B085M6SP95/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tamagotchi%2Bon%2Bwonder%2Bgarden&qid=1591845531&sr=8-1&th=1

Turquoise: https://smile.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-On-Wonder-Garden-Lavender/dp/B085M71PMD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tamagotchi%2Bon%2Bwonder%2Bgarden&qid=1591845531&sr=8-1&th=1

Releases: July 26th 2020

Price: $ 59.99

Cheapest Shipping: Free

Notes:

• Free Shipping offered for 1 or more devices, but takes 7-10 days to ship (Once shipped, may not ship the day of the release)
  • 5 day shipping:

1 Device - $7.17
  • 2 Devices: $7.35 (at the same shipping rate)

[*]2 Day Shipping

• 1 Device: $11.20
  • 2 Devices $11.41 (at the same shipping rate)

2. GameStop Listings:

Lavender: https://www.gamestop.com/electronics/wearable-technology/products/tamagotchi-on-lavender-wonder-garden/11102480.html

Turquoise: https://www.gamestop.com/electronics/wearable-technology/products/tamagotchi-on-turquoise-wonder-garden/11102481.html

Releases July 25th 2020

Price: $ 59.99

Cheapest Shipping: Free 

Notes:

• May increase $10.00, because for some reason the Tamagotchi On's started at this price and the randomly went up for some reason and now they are clearanced and unavailable ... on top of the fact that the only visible listings on the website are the Magic versions(even though they are not available to purchase). Not a hard fact, just associating what I have seen previously.
  • Free Shipping for 2-4 days after release
  • $10.00 Shipping to receive it on the day of the release (if you want both versions, it will charge you $10 per device purchased, so $20 for both shells)

3. Entertainment Earth Listings:

Lavender: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden-lavender-electronic-game/ba42844

Turquoise: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden-turquoise-electronic-game/ba42845

Release Date: August 2020

Price: $ 64.99

Cheapest Shipping: $ 9.95 (For 1 device)

Notes:

• Has stipulations where they can ship, even within the US for the Lavender shell only (may be a mistake because the turquoise does not have that notice. Could be a mess up on the Turquoise listing)
  • Shipping is not free and if you want to purchase both shipping goes up (naturally because of increased weight) 
  • after shipping, taxes and the extra $ 4.99 per device the total for both (for me) is a little over $155. (the most expensive) 
  • 1 Device price: 64.99 + 9.95 (cheapest shipping) = $ 74.94 (without Tax)
  • 2 Devices price: 64.99 + 64.99 + 15.95 = $ 145.93 (without Tax)
  • Does have a free shipping code on the website until June 30th (restrictions apply) <- I do not think this will apply until the device releases. so probably not useful until closer to release date.

4. Wal-Mart Listings:

5. Best Buy Listings:

6. Target Listings:

Side Notes:

Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy do not have it listed on their website yet. I'll post an update when they list!

*The prices for shipping I assume will be the same around main land United States. Please go to the checkout screen and see EXACTLY how much shipping and taxes will be!

Discussion:

If I had to rank these 3 retailers so far, I would say that GameStop seems to be the best option as of June 11th 2020, because they have the release date set a day before Amazon (I know that does mean they will ship it that day, but it is a shipping option and I also know that they could wait even longer to ship than Amazon). As well as the amount you pay to have the device on release day is cheaper than buying through Amazon's most expensive shipping (2-Day Shipping) if you are buying one device. If you want both devices the day of the release it would be worth purchasing through GameStop (assuming the release date is July 25th 2020). If you don't mind waiting 2 days and FOR SURE getting the items, Amazon may be a good choice as the price for shipping only goes up a few cents for both devices.

Entertainment earth is the most expensive all the way around to purchase either 1 or 2 devices.

Basically it seems to be a competition between Amazon and GameStop as to who has the devices offered for the best price including shipping. One would jsut neeed to evaluate when they would like to get theri device and see who they may need to buy from with that point in mind. 

Ranking:

Ranking if you want . . .

1 Device Day 1:

1. GameStop
  2. Amazon
  3. Entertainment Earth

2 Devices Day 1:

1. GameStop if you are willing to spend $20 on shipping

1. Amazon if you want to wait 2 days (once shipped) (also not to mention that the release date is a day after GameStop. But Amazon has shipped items prior to the release date and people have received their items before the given release)

3. Entertainment Earth

Speculation:

Wal-Mart I can assume has the device for 59.99, as the leak displayed. I also assume that the shipping will be free, because the Tamagotchi On shipping is free to you or the store for Pick Up.

Target I assume will have a $59.99 price tag as well and free shipping. (assumed from the Magic and Fairy versions)

Best Buy I do not have any indication, as they are new to the retailer list for the Tamagotchi On devices. A positive to Best Buy is that they do have a rewards program and you can get points for purchasing them, which may be worth your while to gain points IF they list it as the same price as other retailers. (not that other retailers don't have rewards programs, but I know that Best Buy has a fairly good one) 

It's disappointing that it appears that they've gone to the effort of removing content for this release. But, I suppose that that's business - why offer more for a single price when they can split it in two and sell it twice? :p It's certainly been done before in other industries. I guess that they don't want to set a standard of offering more for that flat $60 fee when they're open about the customers that they've surveyed wanting to buy another device!

It's understandable, but still disappointing because we know that other customers were given more content for the same price.

Actually, it kind of does. ;) These fairs are for retail-buyers to pick products for their stores to sell during that year/season/whatever-period-the-fair-covers. If an item is at one of these events, then it's being pitched to retailers for release during one of that year's big shopping seasons.

If stuff from these events doesn't appear at retailers, it means that most or all of them passed on it, so it won't see release at all. Sometimes some ignored items get another shot the following year, but very often they don't and end up being entirely cancelled.

They dont have to share statistics to explain them choices. That's what gouvernement do, not company. They sell something, buy it or not, like it or not. Off course i would like to have some informations too but...
Yeah, this is the sort of information that investors are privy to, rather than the general public and fan-sites. That said, some companies do publish their Investor Relations documents publically somewhere on their corporate websites, so maybe that's something to look into?

As an aside, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)

Actually, it kind of does. ;) These fairs are for retail-buyers to pick products for their stores to sell during that year/season/whatever-period-the-fair-covers. If an item is at one of these events, then it's being pitched to retailers for release during one of that year's big shopping seasons.

If stuff from these events doesn't appear at retailers, it means that most or all of them passed on it, so it won't see release at all. Sometimes some ignored items get another shot the following year, but very often they don't and end up being entirely cancelled.

Yeah, this is the sort of information that investors are privy to, rather than the general public and fan-sites. That said, some companies do publish their Investor Relations documents publically somewhere on their corporate websites, so maybe that's something to look into?

As an aside, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)
That makes sense that then! Thank you for enlightening me on the logistics of the Toy Fair, I appreciate it! 

Since they picked up some big companies such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy, I would say based off of what you are saying si that it is most likely doing well, hence why other big retailers picked up the TMGC On Line! That is promising for the future of Tamagotchi and I hope that the future maintains successful too!

side, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)
Yep, that's why i said Tamagotchi is doing well. And when a brand is doing well, you can push further doing everything you can to increase quality and maintain public and fans attention. Or you can release nanos and half japanese version, knowing that people will buy anyway...

and half japanese version, knowing that people will buy anyway...
Perhaps we should've seen this coming from the "functional but unaltered" approach that was taken with the English translation? :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much, I figured they'd cut some, considering they do know their audience imports, so why not give a lite version to English regions and still get sales from their Fantasy meets? I could be wrong though.
Yeah, they'll definitely be aware that there are hardcore fans who import, but we have to keep in mind that we're not their target audience - their job is to maximise profit from that group, and that group usually doesn't know about imports or foreign versions of products. That group has seen the Tamagotchi On's existing versions and have had their expectations set by them, and won't know that the Wonder Garden is a cut-down Fantasy.

By the same token, of course, we're the hardcore fans who do know about and engage with such things, so we're welcome to contribute to foreign sales and get the extra content that we know about. :)

I wouldn't worry too much, I figured they'd cut some, considering they do know their audience imports, so why not give a lite version to English regions and still get sales from their Fantasy meets? I could be wrong though.
Why they make so much efforts to do a lite version when they could just translate the original meets? (Mister blinky does patch for some Tamagotchi releases, so it must not be that hard) 

https://www.siliconera.com/bandai-america-talks-about-tamagotchis-and-the-localization-process/

I found this article via a post from Tama Tea (TMGC Tea) and this kind of sheds the light and gives clarity some of my previous questions, such as localization time, percentages on user base, which is kind of surprising, and several other things. I found this article, who also interviewed Tara Badie. 

Thank you Tara Badie for shedding light on some of the things that some of the Tamagotchi fans really want to know! Also thank you Jenni Lada for hosting the interview as well!

So...now that this turned out to be a wash, I figure I can still spend my $60 on something. I'm not crazy about the newer characters that populate much of the On/Meets, but I find the Tama versions of the Sanrio characters simply adorable, as are the Fantasy versions. Which one of those two would you folks recommend to supplement my Magic?

Latest posts

Back