Tamagotchi Pix

Help Support TamaTalk:

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
here i was talking with my friends about how the commercial mis-pronounced it. thats some hard irony for me right there.
The commercial does mispronounce it. ;) See the explanation at the top of page 2;

The word "Tamagotchi" is a portmanteau of the Japanese "tamago" and the English "watch", with the "gotch" part intended to rhyme with "watch".

The small "つ" (tsu) in "たまごっち" ("Tamagotchi" in hiragana, but this also applies to katakana as well) indicates a very brief "break" in the middle of the word that changes the sound of it. Accordingly, per the IPA note on the Tamagotchi Wikipedia page, the correct pronunciation is "Tam-a-gotch-ee" for English speakers (where the "i" is not silent) or "Tam-a-gotch" (where "gotch" rhymes with "watch") in the original Japanese.
As I said there, hiragana and katakana are their own pronunciation guides. :)

Bentobuff

Reaction score
Does anyone know of anywhere else they can actually get the tama on release day? So far it's only looking like it's possible through gamestop's website.

E3HiDrrWYAIdXHK

I tried going to my local gamestop to preorder in person and not be subject to the shipping delay dieties. As I'm sure most of y'all know, shipping has been a mess and I'm wary of spending an extra $10 to maybe get it on release day. Tbh I'd prefer to just go to the store and buy it; maybe I'm just old-fashioned but there's no guarantee of any of my nearby stores stocking it. (The screenshots are my looking at amazon, walmart, and gamestop's websites).

Eozeda

Reaction score
https://tamapalace.tumblr.com/post/653448509368958976

so the pix's manual got posted apparently, looks promising! I like the idea of ordering your tama food, and the babysitter costing money is an interesting choice. 
It's difficult in the beginning with a first generation to manage my spending on ridiculous accessories, and indecisively switching rooms. I'll have to restrain from spending all of my earnings if I'm not planning to carry my tama to work – after which a portion of my actual earnings go to tamas, coincidentally.  :rolleyes: ;)  An interesting choice it is! I wondered how that would work without being able to dump our tamas on their parents.

On a different note, it recently occurred to me that I won't be able to use one of my current pusheen cases that I love dearly. It's going to be hard not scuffing these guys... Hopefully a solution will appear that gives the lens an opening and protects the shell, while staying flexible enough for the top button!

Bentobuff

Reaction score
It's difficult in the beginning with a first generation to manage my spending on ridiculous accessories, and indecisively switching rooms. I'll have to restrain from spending all of my earnings if I'm not planning to carry my tama to work – after which a portion of my actual earnings go to tamas, coincidentally.  :rolleyes: ;)  An interesting choice it is! I wondered how that would work without being able to dump our tamas on their parents.

On a different note, it recently occurred to me that I won't be able to use one of my current pusheen cases that I love dearly. It's going to be hard not scuffing these guys... Hopefully a solution will appear that gives the lens an opening and protects the shell, while staying flexible enough for the top button!
I think crochet cases are going to be very popular. Very flexible for the shutter as it is essentially a fabric, thick and cushioned to protect against scratches.

I wonder if it has a spot for a strap to keep from dropping it. 

Eozeda

Reaction score
I think crochet cases are going to be very popular. Very flexible for the shutter as it is essentially a fabric, thick and cushioned to protect against scratches.

I wonder if it has a spot for a strap to keep from dropping it. 
Definitely the only option I can think of at this point too, but I always think of those as being something a tama would fall out of? The idea of smooth plastic in fabric material never appealed to me enough. I'm sure it depends on the make, and nobody would use them if they didn't work of course!  ^_^

Bentobuff

Reaction score
Definitely the only option I can think of at this point too, but I always think of those as being something a tama would fall out of? The idea of smooth plastic in fabric material never appealed to me enough. I'm sure it depends on the make, and nobody would use them if they didn't work of course!  ^_^
Agreed, but if it has a spot on top like the On for a cellphone strap, then we could have it in the case, with a strap through the top so we could hang it inside our bags or on a lanyard and protect it that way. But, as it's the shutter, I'm not so sure we'll be lucky. 😳 Buuuuut I haven't seen any indication of such so far. And I feel ya, it feels like a weird combo. 

cmarie

Reaction score
Not necessarily.  I make mine super snug so they don't come off very easily.  The trick here is going to be making one that allows for use of the camera button to move up and down, without the case being too loose or tight.  Us crocheters are going to have our hands full the first week trying to work up a design LOL

Bentobuff

Reaction score
Not necessarily.  I make mine super snug so they don't come off very easily.  The trick here is going to be making one that allows for use of the camera button to move up and down, without the case being too loose or tight.  Us crocheters are going to have our hands full the first week trying to work up a design LOL
Fair enough! I might give Tatting a lace one a try too!

Bentobuff

Reaction score
E5NMGWJWYAIYwBl

It arrived! I know other countries already have it, but my preorder arrived yesterday! I'm going to boot it up tonight, so feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding it!! I'll do my best to answer as soon as I figure it out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It arrived! I know other countries already have it, but my preorder arrived yesterday! I'm going to boot it up tonight, so feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding it!! I'll do my best to answer as soon as I figure it out :)
Ooh, I'd be super interested in how raising a tamagotchi works, since I read an interview with a bandai rep a little while ago that implied there was going to be less emphasis on raising the little guys in the pix

leogames2012

Reaction score
And in Brazil?,Im pretty much hyped,But The price might be expensive to me.

Bentobuff

Reaction score
Congratulations! :D

The Pix won't be available in the UK until early August, but I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on it in the meantime. :)
So far, my first impressions are negative. If you have normal adult sized hands you're going to have a difficult time with the capacitive buttons. I happened to have a phone stylus that the tip fits perfectly in the little dimples and it makes operating the tama bearable. That said, they're very sensitive, just specific. I'm too scared to try removing the faceplate to mill it flat at work and make it easier for my adult thumbs to use- I'll let someone else give that a go. The device would be much easier to use if they had made the front smooth and flat as it's VERY receptive when contact is made in the dimples.

This coupled with the bizarre text entry choices on the Tamagotchi on makes for an awful experience inputting the letters.

The camera is also appears to be superbly low resolution, but maybe my home just isn't well lit enough. I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

And the menus- there's two sets of main menus and if you accidentally pop into the second one, ugh, there's no way to go back, only go all the way back through. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

It does have a little loop to thread a cell phone charm strap on the side so you can still use a lanyard with it! My stylus came with a cell phone strap so I affixed it to that so I could access it easily. :)

leogames2012

Reaction score
So far, my first impressions are negative. If you have normal adult sized hands you're going to have a difficult time with the capacitive buttons. I happened to have a phone stylus that the tip fits perfectly in the little dimples and it makes operating the tama bearable. That said, they're very sensitive, just specific. I'm too scared to try removing the faceplate to mill it flat at work and make it easier for my adult thumbs to use- I'll let someone else give that a go. The device would be much easier to use if they had made the front smooth and flat as it's VERY receptive when contact is made in the dimples.

This coupled with the bizarre text entry choices on the Tamagotchi on makes for an awful experience inputting the letters.

The camera is also appears to be superbly low resolution, but maybe my home just isn't well lit enough. I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

And the menus- there's two sets of main menus and if you accidentally pop into the second one, ugh, there's no way to go back, only go all the way back through. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

It does have a little loop to thread a cell phone charm strap on the side so you can still use a lanyard with it! My stylus came with a cell phone strap so I affixed it to that so I could access it easily. :)
Thumbs grow,Dont you think? Tama is designed for Kids (especially Girls) So i think a teen or a kid can use that.

Bentobuff

Reaction score
Thumbs grow,Dont you think? Tama is designed for Kids (especially Girls) So i think a teen or a kid can use that.
Yes, but not all of us on here are children. If you're an adult buying it for a child or a child wanting one, then odds are the child might not have an issue with that, but I know a lot of us on here are adults(like myself) who also enjoy these vpets, and also have the disposable income to drop $60+ on a toy. Bandai might be shooting themselves in the foot with this one. That said, this wouldn't be the first time Bandai has experimented with new features on the western market before bringing them back to Japan. And as Japanese tamagotchi aren't targeted towards just a younger audience, they might decide to tweak the feature in future Japanese releases.

That said, I'm finding a mixture of the capacitive stylus and finger works pretty well. IDK why but for swiping using my fingers with things like the toiler and the hula-hoop game, easy. Navigating the menus and entering text- pure suffering. Those same tasks with the stylus, completely opposite experience. 

Also, it seems to sense pressure differently. I'm not sure what is going on but it doesn't feel consistent. Sometimes the lightest of brushes registers sometimes not, and same goes for more intentional touches. But it doesn't feel like it's faulty- I think it's intentional- when I figure out what's going on I'll share.

That noted, I'm loving the camera feature. I used a rusty washer and a coworker's earring to make my tamagotchi a bowl of ramen xD

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score

Ahh, these things are all unfortunate - and unfortunately they're what I was concerned about due to the removal of physical buttons. :(

At least there's a passable workaround if you have a capacitive stylus handy - that's a top tip, and one that I'm sure we'll all be sharing around for years to come! (I have the official Nintendo Switch one handy, myself, so I might have to use it here, too.)

It will probably be fine in that case, but as @cobratala~goddess of necrocy~ points out, Tamagotchi ownership isn't exclusive to that audience - keep in mind that Bandai often leans on nostalgic adults like us older fans to keep the brand alive and to pass it on to the younger people in our lives (and often to keep those younger people's Tamagotchis alive, now, too :lol: ).

I have small hands myself, but that doesn't mean that poor interface design that excludes part of the audience (again as cobratala pointed out, a part of the audience that can much more easily afford them) is ok as long as it caters to some of the audience - the result is ultimately a device that's going to be somewhat divisive due to people's differing tolerances of the usability of capacitive touch-panels. It's rare for a Tamagotchi experience to be subjective due to the input method.

Don't forget that, regardless of age, nobody has problems with the physical buttons on any model of Tamagotchi, from the original Gen 1, to the Nanos and Minis, to the colour models, and sometimes those buttons are tiny. Capacitive panels don't respond in the same way as physical buttons.

Also, it seems to sense pressure differently. I'm not sure what is going on but it doesn't feel consistent. Sometimes the lightest of brushes registers sometimes not, and same goes for more intentional touches. But it doesn't feel like it's faulty- I think it's intentional- when I figure out what's going on I'll share.
"Inconsistent" seems to be the watchword for capacitive touch in general, I find - on some devices things are offset slightly to one side, on others the inputs are delayed, on others still they won't pick up touches at the edges of the screen but are fine closer to the middle, and so on.

It is a pity that pressure-sensitive resistive multi-touch panels never really caught on, as resistive touch is much more accurate but is unfortunately strongly associated with only having one or two touch-points even though that's not actually true. Though perhaps that wouldn't have helped here, since it would have only applied to the screen anyway!

That noted, I'm loving the camera feature. I used a rusty washer and a coworker's earring to make my tamagotchi a bowl of ramen xD
Ok, that's hilarious. :lol: It sounds like they've implemented that well - a plus considering the input issues!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences so far - knowing about the touch issues going in will certainly be helpful for me, and I'm sure that it will be for others as well. And we can't forget that top tip about making ramen, either. ;)

Hoky

TamaTalk Lifetime Angelkusatchi
Reaction score
I'm a six-foot-five mutant, and while I think that the touch buttons are a little close together, they still work just fine for me, though I do accidentally hit B from time to time. But, I DO actually sometimes accidentally press multiple buttons on physical button tamas, so there's that. The 'inconsistency' does crop up in certain menus. Most respond to your finger pressing the button area, but a few menus respond more to when you lift your finger up after pressing. I've only encountered that in the original name and quiz setup menus tho.

I think the camera is fine. The resolution is a bit low, and the pics are pretty dark. I'll try to post a comparison later. That said, I don't mind it. I'm not really here for the camera.

I'm still on infant stage, so I can't speak a TON to the gameplay. Having 2 menus is a little odd, but the screen looks really crisp and it's nice having a tama that doesn't run at 2fps. The sound is a bit more mellow as well, though it might be kinda quiet. I like that swiping across the buttons is used in gameplay as well. The one odd thing for me--but also kinda good--is how you unlock the screen - you click the camera, rather than pressing the buttons. I think that's smart, so you're not constantly unlocking it if you keep it in a shirt pocket like I do. The weird part is that there's about a second of boot-up when that happens, which isn't my favorite, but if you're responding to a poop or a call, that animation unlocks it anyway... which... we'll see how that goes when it's in a pocket. XD

Overall, I feel like it shows promise, but we'll have to see how I feel after a gen or two. As long as it doesn't randomly delete all my data like the last one. XD

Bentobuff

Reaction score
The 'inconsistency' does crop up in certain menus. Most respond to your finger pressing the button area, but a few menus respond more to when you lift your finger up after pressing. I've only encountered that in the original name and quiz setup menus tho.

I'm still on infant stage, so I can't speak a TON to the gameplay. Having 2 menus is a little odd, but the screen looks really crisp and it's nice having a tama that doesn't run at 2fps. 

I like that swiping across the buttons is used in gameplay as well. The one odd thing for me--but also kinda good--is how you unlock the screen - you click the camera, rather than pressing the buttons. 
Yeah, sometimes on the mini and nanos I double press, but its not as high risk of spending all one's gotchi points on something they might not want to buy their tama. On the connections, however, I can see how it'd be an issue. The On and other color releases had a great size for larger hands with a good tactile feel, however.  

To that other bit, hmmm- maybe it signals at just how relaxed their QA standards might be. 😳 I'm still having a lot of issues, and like Penguin-keeper noted, sometimes those things can be offset. I'm going to try playing with just my fingers for the rest of the evening(provided I don't get too aggravated) to see if there's a certain way the sensors skew. As for the responding better when lifting your finger up- that's why I think it can sense pressure to some degree. I noticed it with the stylus too.

It also seems like the games in the arcade vary by day! I've only gone into it today, but the arcade-tchi(?) that hosts it said the theme of today was nature. For the jetpack game, rubbing my fingers/thumbs(tried both) so fast felt uncomfortable because of the dimples, but maybe I pamper my hands too much- but it's not so uncomfortable at the slower pace of the hula-hoop game.

Hoky

TamaTalk Lifetime Angelkusatchi
Reaction score
Mine's up to teen phase now, and here's a short rundown of pros and cons (I haven't really been keeping up on this tama prior to getting it, so sorry if I say anything super obvious)

Pros:
Smooth animation
Swiping in games/activities can be fun
Camera letting you color furniture and create food is a great way to avoid having to spend extra gotchi points
More mellow sort of sound
LOTS of things to do and places to see (but there's a caveat in the cons...)
Care-based growth
Games change daily (and looks like some items change seasonally?) and they're fun rather than just the sorta rote button mashing we've had recently.

Cons:
Touch buttons can be finnicky
Sound is mellow but VERY quiet
Lots of things to do and places to see... but can you unlock anything else? Seems like everywhere is pretty much available right at the start, so you don't have the 'towns' of the more recent tamas
No marriage? I can't find anything about it in the manual.
It would be cool if the camera mattered more for getting new characters
Not as clear-cut as other tamas in terms of what does what (without a manual)

I'm still really liking it so far. It feels more focused on the care aspect that the mix or the on. I don;t usually hit a wrong button, but it does happen. Thankfully haven't spent extra gotchi points because of it.