The officialy licenced port of the og tama to Windows 3.1 - WinTama!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENJAMIN91609

Reaction score
(Note the footage that you will see is running under the lovely OTVDM project because my win98 laptop is pretty slow)

So, what happens when you take a windows 3.1 computer, fiddle around with visual basic to make a virtual pet and license it to Bandai, you get WinTama! A slow, kinda crummy version of the og tamas.

Start it up for the first time and you get this

Just enter your tamas name and then you get a small windowCapture.PNG

Capture2.PNGAs it says just click to hatch, no wait time!

Now we have our pet, looks like a pretty Windows 3.1-ish og tama with all the icons lit up. If you played with a first gen tama, the icons will make sensecapture3.PNG

Capture4.PNGClicking the lightbulb blanks the screen and closes out the program

(I did not get a picture but) Clicking the food icon will show some bread, and will feed your tama

Capture5.PNGClicking the play icon just shows hearts, no minigame (sometimes it wont go back to the tama, causing me to exit and reopen)

Capture6.PNGInfo has your info, pretty simple

(And there is scold and the peanut, but they dont do anything special as this version is ment to run on less powerful machines, and attention and schedules take up a lot of CPU cycles)

Capture7.PNGAnd I have to say that this version will die very easy on day 1, had to do about 3-4 runs to get a perfect run, and did I mention that 1 hour = 1 year

So my thoughts on WinTama, its ok, did have some fun with it, bugs and crashes are everywhere and sometimes the tama dies on first hatch. It would have been fun back in the 90s but for now, its better left unsung.

This is an interesting oddity - thanks for the write-up and all of the screenshots! :) I don't see any of the footage that was mentioned, though... Will that be added later?

However, are you sure that this is actually an official release? Windows 3.1 was long retired by the time the Tamagotchi came to the West, the known official 1997 Tamagotchi CD-ROM release for Windows 95 is very different to this, and this program bears a strong resemblance to a fan-game listed on this old fan-site as "Tamago" by "SGA". I'd love to see the packaging and accompanying materials for this one!

This is an interesting oddity - thanks for the write-up and all of the screenshots! :) I don't see any of the footage that was mentioned, though... Will that be added later?

However, are you sure that this is actually an official release? Windows 3.1 was long retired by the time the Tamagotchi came to the West, the known official 1997 Tamagotchi CD-ROM release for Windows 95 is very different to this, and this program bears a strong resemblance to a fan-game listed on this old fan-site as "Tamago" by "SGA". I'd love to see the packaging and accompanying materials for this one!
There was no packing, just a floppy with a bar-code on it and had said "The Official Computer-ized Tamagotchi, Developed by SGA in collaboration with BanDai"

Latest posts

Back