Trying to find an EXTREMELY obscure Vpet...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yeah... I'm one of the old folks here too.
D'you ever lose count of how many of these we've seen in our lifetimes? :lol:

Man Polybius. Now there's a classic tale. ;)
Yeah! :lol: Did you know that there's official merchandise now? Numskull picked up the license and are currently selling an enamel pin, a hat, and a mini cabinet "replica" that's a USB-charger hub for their Quarter Arcades line.

I presume that the profits go towards the running of the arcade history site that Polybius was originally created to promote. Hard to believe that it's been 21 years, now! :oo Funny to see the same techniques in use in this Tamatale, too. :biggrin:

For those who don’t know I’ve asked about this vpet on Facebook and here are other interesting responses:
A9FED3B5-8508-4DAA-8F63-76BD4D38745E.jpeg

989F8F88-4565-4949-BFFE-A960A752919E.jpeg
There are also some little fingerprints if you open it up in a hex-editor and an EXIF-viewer. ;))

And remember, we were told that the images were old online finds - those don't get created shortly before posting, using software that wasn't user-friendly or even especially widespread during the timeframe claimed in the story.

And another one:
B49A2154-536E-40BA-93AE-E3D522550E34.jpeg
The operative term here is "like this" - this account in no way supports the hoax because there were both Bandai and non-Bandai virtual pets that had matte-metallic shells at the time, such as some members of the Gyaoppi family (which, if we look at the "growth-chart" and the description of the food menu, we know was looked at in the making of this tale*).

*I must say that I enjoyed this aspect. There was genuine virtual pet knowledge put into the story. :smile2:

It's a shame this was fake, but it does sound cool! You really put in your research in making the story, it actually sounded real.

so, it's fake?? that's a pity ;u;
but if it's not a real pet, could the original artist of the chart pops here so we could talk about making this pet reality? :3
I'm in a team that is developing some custom virtual pets and we're almost finished a version with all MGA pets and we're almost finishing one with nine dinkie pets, even with branching evolutions and foods not found in the original dinkies :3
maybe we can see a possibility of making a pet with all these ideas

I'd really like that idea, I've never seen people make custom versions of oddpets before! You should make a thread about this. (I didn't know the MGA baby even existed... I only knew about the MGA My Baby, which is a completely different thing.)

I would like to know if this thing is actually a pet or just a chart made by a artist, because:

1-if this pet actually exists, we could just make a entire chart of it much like we desire, since will be so hard to find the physical pet.
2-if not, and the chart be done by someone, I should find and talk with the artist to get more sprites and be as faithfull as the artist's vision. or just use it as a base to make ours and add our own twists :3

It's a shame this was fake, but it does sound cool! You really put in your research in making the story, it actually sounded real.

I'd really like that idea, I've never seen people make custom versions of oddpets before! You should make a thread about this. (I didn't know the MGA baby even existed... I only knew about the MGA My Baby, which is a completely different thing.)
I'm not the owner of the project but a helper that incentivated a friend to make his project as reality :3
I've also called a friend that is great with sprite art to be our spriter, and I help with the sound part sometimes. :3

And yes, it's a very rare non-official variant that is completelly different from My baby MGA, it have boy and girl in it but sadly no branching evolutions, only one route :3

2-if not, and the chart be done by someone, I should find and talk with the artist to get more sprites and be as faithfull as the artist's vision. or just use it as a base to make ours and add our own twists :3
At a glance, the sprites appear to be edits of ones from the Tamagotchi Gen 1, Tamagotchi Gen 2, the Mori no Tamagotchi, and the Gyaoppi Chicken.

Well folks. You are all very awesome a smart people. Thank you for coming here. I am a huge Tamagotchi fan and have been most of my life.

TAMANOROI ANIMATION 1.GIF

Eryson. You're looking for the artist but you've already found him. Drop me a PM. ;) I can offer more than just a growth chart...;) how about a full sprite sheet of everything ever? Let's make this a reality. 👍 I have full sheets of every character, plus names for each. Much more also. Features, games, food and so on.

I did intend a lot more for the story but you're all too clever. I am so happy to be here.

Well folks. You are all very awesome a smart people. Thank you for coming here. I am a huge Tamagotchi fan and have been most of my life.

View attachment 6705

Eryson. You're looking for the artist but you've already found him. Drop me a PM. ;) I can offer more than just a growth chart...;) how about a full sprite sheet of everything ever? Let's make this a reality. 👍 I have fill sheets of every character, plus names for each. Much more also. Features, games, food and so on.

I did intend a lot more for the story but you're all too clever. I am so happy to be here.
oh i am so excited for this!! brilliant work, if you need an extra artist, hmu ;3

I hope so much that someone can help me... because I have searched for over 5 years and found almost nothing. I'm trying to locate a virtual pet from 1998 that I was absolutely terrified of as a kid. It seems i have since grown a fondness for it and have tried to locate one. I cannot find anything. A few years ago i found a low res picture on a chinese website, and a also a very blurry growth chart on a website (I forget where). But nothing else. It seems almost non existent at this point. But i definitely owned this because I used to be afraid of it.

When I was about 10(in 1998) I had a few Tamagotchis and virtual pets that I loved. But thisone in particular seems to be impossible to find any traces of. This pet came out in mid 1998 (I remember it being the same week Digimon was first announced... I think). This pet looked very much like an official Tamagotchi Generation 2 but it definitelly wasn't one. It did have Tamagotchi looking characters, but they were original characters in that kind of style. Also, it wasnt called a Tamagotchi. If memory serves me well, it said on the packaging 'Tamakurai'. Or maybe it was Tamakai. I cannot be sure. But it looked authentic and I also remember it had 'Generation 3' written on the packaging, most likely to pass it off as a real Generation 3 Tamagotchi. (Which we know never came to be).

The one thing i remember was that these vpets all came in original Gen 1/2 looking shells but the unique feature was that these ones were always metallic in colour. The one I had was dark red, but in the store at the time they had lots of different colours. All metallic. The store I bought it in was a small independent toy shop in England. Sadly I cannot remember what it was called.

I remember it had a game of where you had a left and right guessing game but it didnt work right because the result didnt matter it still counted as a win.

You could feed it with 4 different food types. A cup/chalice of liquid, a babytchi(?), a cloud and what looked like a human eye (may have just been an olive or a grape).

The pet also had a very weird feature and this is why I was so scared of it as a kid. At random times usually late at night or if you push the clock forward, it would play a strange melody of beeps and its screen would show little grave stones and R.I.P would change between the graves. It would also occasionally show random words and other images that seemed very out of place for a childrens pet. I do remember in the manual it said at night the pet would dream so I always assume this was the dreams it had? I've never seen any other vpet have this feature though. Very cool as an adult maybe a bit too much for a child.

I only birthed it twice as a kid and I remember the adult stage I got one time looked like a kind Kutchipatchi character (but not) and another time I had a weird clown like character.

Looking back i wish i had kept all my virtual pets but i really would love to buy another one of these to relive this memory. But nowhere, not even the biggest archives of vpets even have this one MENTIONED.

Can anyone help? I've read a few threads on here and seems you have a lot of experts who have tracked down other ones successfully.

Here's hoping. Fingers crossed. :/
Sounds to me like a Devilgotchi... Possibly a bootleg.

View attachment 6705

Eryson. You're looking for the artist but you've already found him. Drop me a PM. ;) I can offer more than just a growth chart...;) how about a full sprite sheet of everything ever? Let's make this a reality. 👍 I have full sheets of every character, plus names for each. Much more also. Features, games, food and so on.

ahahaha It ended much better than i've expected!!

I recently had a chat with my team to see what still need to be done, and we're already finishing one pet, and roughly 80% of another (a dinkie 9 in 1), this one is in process of adding sounds :3

However, the developer had a irrecusable offer to reproduce a flower-related pet, he'll getting all the sprites and recorded sounds, and he's crazy for that, so I still need to have a talk with him about what we'll have as priorities ;u;
I'll make a thread in this forum presenting our projects so everyone can see what is being done so far :3

@Tamagogopog An entire chart and sprites could make our "Noroitchi" pet comes to life much quicker, and we need to discuss several things about it, I was dreaming about it pretty much all these days! What you thinks if we add several yokais in it? like Hasshaku-sama, bakeneko and tengu? :3

Let's chat with each other to see how it could be made, before any sprite be produced!! can you show me the 1st top charaacter (the noroitchi) moving so I can present my developer it? :3

I recently had a chat with my team to see what still need to be done, and we're already finishing one pet, and roughly 80% of another (a dinkie 9 in 1), this one is in process of adding sounds :3

However, the developer had a irrecusable offer to reproduce a flower-related pet, he'll getting all the sprites and recorded sounds, and he's crazy for that, so I still need to have a talk with him about what we'll have as priorities ;u;
I'll make a thread in this forum presenting our projects so everyone can see what is being done so far :3

@Tamagogopog An entire chart and sprites could make our "Noroitchi" pet comes to life much quicker, and we need to discuss several things about it, I was dreaming about it pretty much all these days! What you thinks if we add several yokais in it? like Hasshaku-sama, bakeneko and tengu? :3

Let's chat with each other to see how it could be made, before any sprite be produced!! can you show me the 1st top charaacter (the noroitchi) moving so I can present my developer it? :3
Happy to discuss whatever needs to be done. Like the idea of adding the cultural demons.

Character wise, currently I have a full Sprite sheet for several adult stages, 4 teen stages and 2 baby stages. Also some child stages. Also the egg. The 2 secret characters havent been made yet though I did have ideas for them but nothing solid yet.

Just to confirm, the character you want to present (Noirotchi?) Do you mean the mametchi-esc one or the chicken-ish one?

Thankyou for being honest and not doubling down on it once it was outed! I'm sure that we've all seen those hoaxes where the perpetrators get defensive and nasty after they've been discovered - you're a class act for not doing that. :smile2:

Your creativity with this is fantastic and well-researched, and I can't wait to see where this goes in the future. 👍

Thankyou for being honest and not doubling down on it once it was outed! I'm sure that we've all seen those hoaxes where the perpetrators get defensive and nasty after they've been discovered - you're a class act for not doing that. :smile2:

Your creativity with this is fantastic and well-researched, and I can't wait to see where this goes in the future. 👍
Many thanks! I'm looking forward to it too! I was very impressed with people figuring it out so quick! :)

Omg…1. I love the idea of making this creepy Tamanoroi, this is amazing and wonderful, 2. Is the flower pet you’re working on the Hana-Hana Mi? >.> 3. …You guys should copy the Magical Witches (please)….and make it accessible for people who don’t want to spend crazy money on them. That would be the most amazing thing. 4. I may have missed this, but will you be selling these custom pets/selling the program for people like me who could build the tama itself but have zero coding expertise? 5. All of this is very exciting to ponder.

Omg…1. I love the idea of making this creepy Tamanoroi, this is amazing and wonderful, 2. Is the flower pet you’re working on the Hana-Hana Mi? >.> 3. …You guys should copy the Magical Witches (please)….and make it accessible for people who don’t want to spend crazy money on them. That would be the most amazing thing. 4. I may have missed this, but will you be selling these custom pets/selling the program for people like me who could build the tama itself but have zero coding expertise? 5. All of this is very exciting to ponder.
1- It's not impossible!! However, our team grew up a quite a bit after sending the first prototype pets to our testers, and after some debate everyone ended agreeing that we should shift focus to preserving rare programmings (the new members of our team have many rare virtual pets, and I already started giving materials of the rare Hitorikko Angel) or remaking bad ones (like rikourikou-smarty time) and make them avaliable to public, with hight priority to the ones we already started, before starting to develop custom virtualpets like our Tamanoroi. If i had known this before i would have left our little creepypasta to grow, since my raise of hype ended killing it prematurely. I'm really sorry for that.

2- yep, the hanahanami is our top priority to be preserved, and we already have some people that started to gather materials of that, but to make the pet possible, we need to develop and program a system that makes all those features (light sensor, a better sound system) possible, so it will take a time before something be announced.

3- we cannot develop a Magical witches pet without help, someone need to make a full catalogue constating all features of the pet, as well as all sprites and events. seems that there's people interested in keeping their prices in the skies for some reason... :-/

4- our pets will have opensouce code, and free libraries so everyone will be able to access and modify, or make their own programming. but to make possible what you suggested, we should shift our vision of developing virtual pets (almost from scratch) and create a pet engine containing tools and resources that would be intuitive and easy to understand, and also develop a different hardware that must recognise the engine without any possibility of bricking the entire thing in case of errors of the editor. Something how MUGEN and 2DKAKUTOU are to fighting games, for example. it would consume a mad ammount of time and energy.

Sorry for having bumbed this wonderful creepypasta with my project, was not my intention to take all attention to me.

Latest posts

Back