US Tamagotchi ON App shutting down in August

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuchipatchiPod

Reaction score

Shutting down August 31, 2022.

Looks like we have til the end of August to play with our Ons and use the app! I still haven't gotten an ON myself and now I'm kinda debating getting one at all, since I'd want to play with the app. Guess it depends on how soon I can get one.

Edit: Meant to post this in news not rumors XD

Unfortunately inevitable - it happens within a few years with anything that leans on an external mobile application.

That said, it's disappointing to hear about, because I know that the app was well-liked, even though it doesn't seem to have stuck around for as long as the TamaTown websites apparently did.

I still haven't gotten an ON myself and now I'm kinda debating getting one at all, since I'd want to play with the app.
I imported a Meets at launch and have never used the app. I've had a great time with it that way - in fact, it's the only colour Tamagotchi that I actually like! :lol:

Edit: Meant to post this in news not rumors XD
Moved. ;))

We knew it was sadly a matter of time, but alas, it'll still be missed. That "pause" function so many used it for, the minigames to grind money, etc.

I saw another twitter thread where a couple of folks were chatting in Japanese about how westerners are doing their own thing to keep it going(something with servers?) And how that's illegal in Japan.
I'm wondering if it'd be illegal for them to use their tamas with the English On app once that's done. They shouldn't be left out in the cold either. (。•́︿•̀。)

For context the thread I'm talking about is here:

I saw another twitter thread where a couple of folks were chatting in Japanese about how westerners are doing their own thing to keep it going(something with servers?) And how that's illegal in Japan.
I'm wondering if it'd be illegal for them to use their tamas with the English On app once that's done. They shouldn't be left out in the cold either. (。•́︿•̀。)
I mean, I'd wager it's not fully legal in the US, either...
That's exactly the problem - it's Bandai's property, and that doesn't even touch upon the trust/security/etc. issues regarding third-party applications and servers. This sort of thing could possibly even open the doors for malware and scams - be wary, everybody.

We will be 100% getting a fanmade app, rumored to be supporting custom genes roo! The ON app has also been fully archived so we will have everything recovered, no worries.

... and just when i was thinking about getting a tamagotchi on after my pix !!
The Meets/On is still perfectly playable without the app - this just means the loss of outside content that isn't referenced on the device itself, like marrying other users'/Bandai's officially-provided Tamagotchis online, some extra games, and such. If you weren't banking on any of that, there's no major loss.

I never used the app myself (I don't care about such things, and apps always go away because toy-companies want you to stop playing with the old device and buy their latest-and-greatest, so I always find it poor form to condition users to expect such things) and I've gotten plenty out of the device as it comes - it's the only colour Tamagotchi that I actually like. :tongue:

Sadly I am not involved in hosting the new app, but we still have the 4U app and others available for download from fansites. I’m sure they’ll find a way around it though!

edit: was supposed to quote Penguin-keeper but apparently the site’s mobile version didn’t like that :/

i heard about this recently, which is a real bummer, considering i just downloaded the app and got myself a tamagotchi ON! at least i'll have time to get the rewards for my device, though...

i'm unsure if bandai would actually allow fan-made applications for the ON...? but i certainly hope it won't be a big issue! connecting both devices is super fun!

I'm so sad about this! I loved marrying my tamas to other people's to get cool genes, and log in from time to time to change my avatar. :babytchi:

Bandi is ruining childhoods shutting down the app! (Kinda like chuck e cheese removing the animatronics!)
#keep the tamagotchi on app open! Bandi if you can hear this the only way you can make this up to the world is rereleasing the tamagotchi connections. Who's with me?

Latest posts

Back