V2 Hong Kong Shells

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hwd45

Reaction score
Okay so... this is maybe going to be one of the most niche topics I'll ever make a thread about, lmao

One of the things I love about Tamagotchis is its deep history of mysteries and obscure knowledge. For those aware of the vast number of shell designs boasted by each of the earlier Connection versions, it should come as no surprise to find out there's mystery surrounding some of the more obscure releases.

Previously, I've discussed the existence of rare Spanish language versions which were released in South America, as well as some extremely late releases (as well as some unique ROM versions) in Greece. Today I'd like to talk about another region that received some unusual releases - Hong Kong.

Specifically the V2. The shells which released in Hong Kong for this version were mostly just reprints of a selection of the Japanese Tamagotchi Plus shells. There were a few exceptions, but for the most part the shells are very, very similar in appearance to shells that had released in Japan for the V1 a year earlier.

Where it gets a bit weird though is that each shell released in Hong Kong with multiple different button colours, as well as different coloured tags.

Don't believe me? Here's a few examples

JTYERZz.png

5tn336p.png

4ZKYlx9.png

And they're not all just button swaps either - multiple pictures of these devices still in their packaging prove this.

So I've got absolutely no idea what's going on here. I guess they just rotated the button colour every now and then to continuously give additional variation to the already wide array of designs.

It seems like these shells came in three styles of packaging, too - one basic style, a style with a picture of a Dekatama in the background and a style with stars all over it. Here's a few (low quality) examples of each of the styles:

slaCjR7.png

338WukX.png

4Go4mWP.png

Why are they so low quality? Because for some reason finding any more information about these shells is *extremely* difficult. I've managed to build a relatively large collection of images of different shells but there's bound to be way more. I mean look at this:

cHqcqEO.jpg

Did you know about this shell? Because I sure didn't!

One of the things I want to find out is what order the shells released in - since there's multiple packaging styles I'm assuming different button combinations were released in different waves. Luckily, Tamagotchis provide a way to figure that out more easily.

If you look at the battery door on your device, you might see a number imprinted into the plastic. Sometimes (particularly with earlier V2s and V1s) the number is on the inside, but later releases had the number on the outside instead. Usually this number will be five digits long but sometimes they're longer - only the last five digits matter though.

Suppose the number is "ABCDE" - then the number seems to represent the date "200E/DC/BA" in the YYYY/MM/DD format (or "201E/DC/BA" for devices made in the last decade). For example, the number 60405 on a V2 represents the 6th of April 2005. Using these dates we can string together a rough timeline of when each shell was made.

So far the only date I've obtained is 60405 for a shiny white w/ characters shell with white buttons and a light blue tag.

Here's a list of shell / button / tag combinations I've found so far:

Design

Button

Tag

Shiny White

Blue

Purple

Pink w/ Logo

Yellow

Purple

Pink w/ Flowers

Peach

Purple

Shiny White

White

Blue

Yellow w/ Cross

Pink

Blue

Shiny Blue

Yellow

Blue

Shiny White

Purple

Yellow

Pink w/ Logo

Blue

Yellow

Pink w/ Flowers

Pink

Yellow

Yellow w/ Cross

Yellow

Pink

Yellow w/ Cross

White

Pink

Shiny Blue

Blue

Pink

Pink w/ Flowers

Blue

Pink

Pink w/ Flowers

Yellow

Pink

Shiny White

Blue

Pink

Pink w/ Logo

Purple

White

Pink w/ Flowers

Purple

White

Pink w/ Flowers

Pink

White?

Shiny Blue

Magenta

White

Yellow w/ Cross

Blue

White

Black "Tamagotchi"

Yellow

?

Black "Tamagotchi"

Pink

White

Purple w/ Stars

Light Blue

Purple

Blue w/ Stars

Light Blue

Dark Blue?

If anyone else has any information on V2 HK shells - especially if you have a manufacture date to contribute - then that'd be really helpful.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy any further obscure information on the Hong Kong shells that we discover here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back