When is the next MEETS? (20-21?)

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizalinatchi

Reaction score
Last I remember, the Sweets came out December [2019]. It's nearly been a whole year now, and no new announcement? Even if they can't put them on shelves yet, they've been using digital platforms to sell and advertise the Tamagotchi in Japan, so how come they've decided to delay it? Is it possible the Sweets is the last meets?? Maybe they're working on a new project or financially, it's not doing them good (weird, because apparently the sweets design is very successful)?

They've practically already done that, Leo. The designs have leaned too much on the anthropomorphic side.

Anyway, I just checked the Tamagotchi Wiki for the On/Meets and the M!X and yeah, they rerelease new versions pretty consistently. I wonder if maybe they've stumped themselves on what to do next as the whole genetic mixing has carried on (pun not intended) and what can they really do but add new towns, items, characters, and basically all of that "same thing different sprite" stuff? I don't see how they could make the functions more realistic besides borrowing from the Famlitichi/V5 and maybe trying to incorporate raising a family of tamas (hopefully more interactive than the twin feature). They could potentially break away from it by having a new kind of gameplay - similar to how the Music Star/V6 centers on music and performing - but maybe they've already done that by focusing on Nanos. They could of course switch it up like the vintage models and maybe simulate raising another kind of creature, like from the sea (like the Umino/Ocean) or a new life form (like the Mothra, although a weaker example). That would be quite intriguing.

Of course, perhaps it is too early to tell and they do have something in the works. Or perhaps the global events have been becoming more and more invasive and it's not profitable due to the widespread unemployment - or it's impossible because of the gradual increase in totalitarianism. That last remark may make me sound like a nut but look at Victoria, Australia - it already is a police state. Obviously, development of anything isn't going to happen if there are broader, societal problems.

Of course, perhaps it is too early to tell and they do have something in the works. Or perhaps the global events have been becoming more and more invasive and it's not profitable due to the widespread unemployment - or it's impossible because of the gradual increase in totalitarianism. That last remark may make me sound like a nut but look at Victoria, Australia - it already is a police state. Obviously, development of anything isn't going to happen if there are broader, societal problems.
I get what you mean, however no widespread release of a Tamagotchi has been seen in Australia since Tamagotchi Friends. Talking about Japan, they shouldn’t really have those problems, and I meant for them they could potentially work with something. The genes idea isn’t necessarily boring, but I do think they could add new functionality and activities. It couldn’t be impossible to think of any new themes they haven’t already done. For example: adventures, mining, party, weather, pets, etc. They could incorporate some of the previous gameplay with a new spin. I suppose it’s up in the air what will occur.

Talking about Japan, they shouldn’t really have those problems
Australia hasn't become a police state because it's Australia. It's become a police state because its government has greatly overreacted to a supposed pandemic and this is a trend governments around the world are following, hence it's a global issue. However, I glanced at some news articles and it looks like Japan actually had a very sensible reaction and there hasn't been any breaches of human rights or crazy closures so, yeah, its mild in Japan. Although they might have changed their work practices as a precaution and thus have been less productive or perhaps how every other country has reacted to foreign goods could have affected their economy. Japan does export after all and international business surely must have some affect on them.

Yeah, the only way we'll know when the new Meets/On is coming is when they say something about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they try something new but maybe they might focus on a non-colour version. I'm resistant to by another On because of the price so it wouldn't be surprising if they think about targeting consumers who want something cheaper.

No need to release a non colored version for cheaper devices. The tamagotchi are overpriced. (toys are in general). The problem for me is really the covid 19. Some already pointed out that the meets fantasy and sanrio are out of stock/not produced anymore. Those are the most requested meets, so I guess that bandai stop producing them for a major reason... At least that's my opinion. Then off course everybody know that the next one/two years will be hard in term of business, so maybe they wait to see how bad the economic crisis will be.

I'd rather that you can raise political officials - in governmental "families" - and make them competent or have them be run out of town due to neglectful care. Oh man, there could be so many satirical angles and imagine abusing the potential accessories. Might just make people develop love-hate relationships with their governments instead.

Or maybe a Tamagotchi based on COVID-19? XD

You'd have to take care of a virus lol
This is pretty much the Pandemic series of games already.

I think we haven't seen any meets updates because it makes more sense financially to release themed nanos, as they sell so well, and there's less work required for more profit.

It would be nice to see a re-release of some of the limited edition meets to keep up with demand, though that would be very unlikely, given that it's never happened in the past. This is just wishful thinking on my part, but it'd be nice if they could release a retro themed meets with a B&W 'world' (like the m!x anniversary) where you could mix with some of the classic characters?

I think we haven't seen any meets updates because it makes more sense financially to release themed nanos, as they sell so well, and there's less work required for more profit.
Better than the Nanos, the simple re-release of p1 and p2 are constantly out of stock on Amazon US. 

Looking at the wonder garden, a weak version of the fantasy, the non-evolution of the app, and the fact that the on never been released worldwide (should I mention the Bluetoothless tamagotchi some? ), I still think that Bandai just lost faith in the tamagotchi brand. I know that some disagree with this point of view... Let's say that they consider tamagotchi as much as Disney take care of star wars... It's like the popstar that sing in Vegas... It was cool, why not, for the nostalgia...

It sort of makes me think... that companies shouldn’t focus solely on high profit-earning brands. BANDAI just may as well be every other company-focusing on profit for gain. But they’d go so far as to stop caring, just because it’s not as highly profitable?

If only companies could see beyond the physical cash flow and market, perhaps, and maybe promote their products more for a real positive impact... rather than the same ol’ scheme of: make another one, loose popularity, say ‘whelp, can’t help that’, & move on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It sort of makes me think... that companies shouldn’t focus solely on high profit-earning brands. BANDAI just may as well be every other company-focusing on profit for gain. But they’d go so far as to stop caring, just because it’s not as highly profitable?

If only companies could see beyond the physical cash flow and market, perhaps, and maybe promote their products more for a real positive impact... rather than the same ol’ scheme of: make another one, loose popularity, say ‘whelp, can’t help that’, & move on. 
That's the probleme today in europe and the. Elite here think company needs investors. It's all about business, royaty etc... You can see that everywhere. Company needs visionary. They need to keep faith and invest in te future. Not just make maximum profit for shareholder etc...

Latest posts

Back