Battery Corrosion

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicefly

Reaction score
I like to keep a lot of my Tamagotchis new in their boxes, but recently I heard about something called Battery Corrosion that might affect them. Anybody know what this is and/or how I can prevent it?

Disposable batteries have a limited storage life. There's a lot of chemistry involved and I don't want to bore you with the details :p but over time, even when stored separately or when in whatever it's powering, they start leaking fluid and some even start to cause corrosion (which is commonly known as rusting...like when you leave a bike out in the damp for too long without maintaining it, the metal parts start rusting because the metal reacts with the environment around it) if left long enough. You definitely don't want this happening while a battery is inside a Tamagotchi because if the corrosion becomes bad enough, it might render the Tamagotchi useless because, simply put, it interferes with the circuitry.

When I receive any Tamagotchi, I make sure to take the batteries out upon arrival (if the seller hasn't already done it), especially if I'm not going to use the Tamagotchi for a while. Also, make sure you change the batteries regularly (not all the time, just make sure you don't leave them in there for months and months). Every time I change batteries, if I notice a bit of fluid or even a bit of crystal-like crustiness on the metal prongs that hold the batteries, I take a cotton ball or swab and gently wipe the area. I've heard that using water and baking soda or vinegar works well to get rid of the crust but I usually don't let it get that bad, so I don't have personal experience with it. Also, make sure you store and dispose of your batteries well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remove the battery to avoid battery corrosion - which of course you can't do if you are keeping it "brand new in package" (for the collectable value) :p

In which case, I don't think there's much you can do other than store the tamas in a cool, dark dry place.

I've never had a problem with battery corrosion tho' so I can't be sure.

I bought a BNIP Mothra tama off ebay a few years ago, it still had the original battery in it with no corrosion - so I suppose the battery must have been around 8-10yrs old?

Hmm, well after much thought I think it's definately better to take the batteries out than risk letting my tamagotchis break jsut because I don't want to open the box. I'll try to open them without damaging the packaging too much.

Besides, at least I'll get a nice supply of batteries that way XD

Thanks for the help guys :p

I have a related question-

I just ordered two new in package vintage tamas. I'm going to play with them, so should I immediately take out the batteries (13 years old!) and throw them out? Or, if there isn't any visible signs of leakage, can I just use them?(if they work that is) I don't want to risk damaging my tamas! But also, batteries are pricey :)

I have a related question-I just ordered two new in package vintage tamas. I'm going to play with them, so should I immediately take out the batteries (13 years old!) and throw them out? Or, if there isn't any visible signs of leakage, can I just use them?(if they work that is) I don't want to risk damaging my tamas! But also, batteries are pricey :)
Yeah, I would open them up (since you're going to be taking them out and playing with them anyway) and check out the battery situation, at least. I suppose you can use them, especially if you're itching to start up your Tamagotchis and if the batteries still work (if there is some leakage, I usually just wipe it off as best I can and try to get new batteries as soon as possible) but in the meantime, I would look for and purchase new batteries. They are sold very cheap on Ebay. I've gotten a pack of 50 for a couple of bucks once. The batteries are the LR44 types (they can also be called AG13, 357, A76, L1154, GPA76, G13A, G13, and the like). Congrats on your new vintage Tamagotchis! :angry:

Yeah, may as well change the batteries to avoid any problems.

I don’t quite understand the corrosion though because some times I experience it and some times I don’t. I’m not sure what the exact ‘conditions’ are in order for the corrosion to occur. I’ve had a Tama that had the same batteries for a couple of months in the back of it and experienced corrosion. And sometimes, the batteries have been in there for years and it never corroded. So I’m not exactly sure what happens with it. But yeah, may as well be on the safe side and change the batteries.

I get batteries for my osu-mesu pair and all my connections at Dollar Tree.LR44 batteries come in a six pack and CR2032 batteries come in a 3 pack.Although Dollar Tree is a national company it doesn't mean that every store in every state will carry them.I live in NY(not the city of the same name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back