Runner's Rant #1: "The "Kawaii"'s"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Reaction score
You know, I love RPs. I've been RPing ever since I was 7 and first joined this site as Mametchi 4ever. I still love them, otherwise, I wouldn't be posting a rant here about it. Almost 99% of the time, I RP guys.

Most RPs these days, whether they be about fantasy or romance, have more girls than guys (Which is to be expected of course, considering this site has more girls than guys, and RPs tend to attract girls rather than guys). I would be fine with this, albeit one issue...

The fact that 90% of the girls here roleplay "kawaii"'s (Japanese for cute, if you somehow don't know that). A "kawaii" is what my buds and I have taken to calling female RP characters that have the traits of shoujo manga heroines (Or of most fictional story heroines). These traits include sweet, kind, pretty/cute (Both are used most of the time), happy, and positive. Of course, if you were to look at the form of the offenders, you may not be able to tell. Since most RP's have rules against Sues, faults are pretty much always added. But the creators of "kawaii"'s tend to ALWAYS forget the negative traits in a few posts. So soon enough, you have a FREAKING SUE running throughout your RP.

EDIT: I forgot to add this part, but "Kawaii"'s are generally played by girls who want to have cute characters and think that their characters are very cute.

So, in short, the definition of a "Kawaii": A female character who appears to not be a sue at first but later morphs into a sue with almost unrealistic traits. (Oh, and a quick note ahead of time: I don't want to RP on any other sites cuz I hate super active RPs. I start to lose my real life cuz I feel the need to get on every 3 seconds to update. Which is why I RP here. So don't tell me to go to another site, and then walk away with a smirk thinking you've won). It's as terrible as the literacy issue. In one RP I made myself, two people playing "kawaii"'s joined. And guess what? Those two girls are pretty much the same.

I am sick and tired of seeing girls that are all sweet, cute, and have the works of a sue! There are many types of girls out there! In example, there are the preppy *****es, the super shy and always neglected to be noticed type, the goth type, the rude type, the intelligent and hiding scars type... I myself, when I do play girls, tend to stray toward the rude, intelligent type. And yet, here, all I seem to see are sweet and cute girls. I've had enough. Of course, this topic won't stop the "kawaii"'s from coming. Heck, they'll probably keep on coming, into every RP I join or make. I'll have to just grit my teeth and move on, but I still wanted to get out my opinion to everybody on this forum. And with that, I conclude this rant speech. I changed my mind, now this is a speech. Not a rant. Well it is more of a rant, but to satisfy my reckless, snarky self, I wanted it to be a speech. So there.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU ARE AMAZING RUNNER

That's all I have to say about this, it's totally agreeable (the topic xD )

Hmm.. I think I may be one of the people who do that. Petty sure I am but now I'm sort of leaning to the lunatics and angry. Cute perfect characters don't appeal to me anymore... But I agree completely now if I look at it that way.

Dude, dazzlitchigirl, you don't even post in the RP section. You wouldn't know so don't post here... -.- The problem is that there are TOO MANY PEOPLE trying to play characters like that already to the point all girls are pretty much like that in TamaTalk RPs. It's like coakroaches in a way. And I'm not telling everyone to play rude and intelligent characters... Whatever. You wouldn't understand so just leave.

Dazzlitchigirl, that's not what is being said. I'm not sure that you fully understand the concept, and seeing as you don't post in this section I can't see how you really would.

Mary sues or seemingly perfect characters are frowned upon or in most cases forbidden from roleplays. Buy what runner is saying is that a lot of people don't make Mary sues and in their initial submission to the rp mention flaws and those sorts of negative things but then in the actual roleplay never seem to actually posess them and their characters end up being portrayed as perfect. We are talking about humanization, no person is perfect in reality so they shouldn't be in make believe either.

~~~

These also go hand in hand with attention seekers or characters who are constantly throwing themselves in others faces to try and center the story around them.

Example(true story)

Susie and Bill are talking in her hotel room. They are getting to know eachother and are having a good time.

Iris barges into the room. "Hey guys!!!!" she says stealing some of Susie's popcorn.

-a few posts later-

Iris runs to Another room having been ignored or shrugged of by Susie and Bill. "Hey whats up? What are you guys doing? Can I join in?"

I have seen this hundreds of times and since they generally post nearly every other post or so or at east Aa often as they can it gets extremely annoying -_-

I think I'm one of the eople who do that.

sorry.

But I'm sure everyone wants a beautiful, awesome, perfect character. Sometimes, when I get ignored in RPs, I start to feel left out and try to center the attention around myself. Not coolm I know, but sometimes...

It's kind of hard for a young person who sin't even that good at writing... Ah, you know what, I'll stop whining.

And stop creating perfect characters.

Thanks for making me realize.

Ah, little depressed moon-rabbit it is nice to see someone own up to their mistakes and promise change. Very mature, something that is often lost on family-friendly forms. But I must disagree with you. Many people I know, myself included, love having screwed up and iperfect characters. I have an insomniac selective ute castrato, a gaggle of demon characters- attractive and not, a timid beast tamer with a sweet tooth, an ex-alcoholic assassin who changed her ways in order to get married (and has two kids), a mentally challanged fruit bat who shares his body with the soul of his twin who gave up their life to save him, a verbally abused digidestined who lives in a fantasy world, a gajinka (humanized) iPod nano who has a forbidden romance with a Zune, an insane librarian ESPer who is obsessed with puzzles and will kill over a late book, and many more beutifully imperfect characters! And guess what, I love them all!

But I'm sure everyone wants a beautiful, awesome, perfect character. Sometimes, when I get ignored in RPs, I start to feel left out and try to center the attention around myself. Not coolm I know, but sometimes...
Yeah, you are one of the people who do that, you were almost about to do that in Heart's Desire. I hate the attention seekers the most in Romance RPs.. In this one RP, I remember how my character and this other girl's character couldn't start a romance for a long time because there was this other girl who continuously hung around my charrie and this girl's charrie. When this girl finally grew inactive, we finally got to start up.

I never really played girls in my life, so I can't really say anything about imperfect/perfect characters. The only girls I RP definitely are imperfect, as their personality trait to be rude flaws them as a person, as they can get rather unlikeable. Although I know I've played perfect guys before, a long long long time ago when I was RPing when I was 7. But I don't enjoy playing perfect guys, since they aren't any fun to play. It's way more fun for me to play jerky characters, or silent and ignored types. The carefree type is pretty fun, though.

I don't think everybody wants to play perfect characters, that would suck. It would be unrealistic and I'd feel like a troll. Not saying that people who play perfect characters are trolls, but playing perfect characters all the time would make me feel that way.

As a gift to you people, I'll try to write Tips on How Not To Be a Kawaii later.

(lolok I will post my actual opinion)

I honestly think this is a VERY good guide. I admit myself, I have played a few kawaiis myself, but I've moved on.

I am really looking forward to your next guide :)

:< I hope my RPs don't have too many Kawaiis...I guess Hime's one, but at least she's unique (...right?)

:< I hope my RPs don't have too many Kawaiis...I guess Hime's one, but at least she's unique (...right?)
Welllllll.... If I really had to say, I guess she would be. It depends. Say the RP was actually a story from a novel. Would the plot still be worth it if Hime wasn't around? Does she have enough major faults to make up for her goodness?

Welllllll.... If I really had to say, I guess she would be. It depends. Say the RP was actually a story from a novel. Would the plot still be worth it if Hime wasn't around? Does she have enough major faults to make up for her goodness?
Hmm...I know she definitely has her faults, and the story was sort of built around her...so I guess she's a good character after all :3

But I agree with you. Too many of those kind make me sick xP

Although looking at Hime's form, the only trait you listed as her main fault was "shy", and she hasn't really been so shy.

Although looking at Hime's form, the only trait you listed as her main fault was "shy", and she hasn't really been so shy.
Yeah, you're right! :T As the story has progressed, I'd say now that Hime's major faults are her cowardliness and her lack of self-esteem, would you agree? 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back