Runner's Rant #2: Shy and Clumsy Characters!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Reaction score
Okay, all of you probably remember my rant on "Kawaii"'s. Well, this is another rant- only this time, on shy and clumsy characters.

I've seen way too many girl characters that have "shy" down as their only fault/shoved with a bunch of faults you seldom see the character show in the actual RP/are sueish. The irritating thing about these shy girl characters is the fact IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE RP ON THIS FORUM, IT STARTS OUT WITH NOBODY KNOWING ANYBODY ELSE.

So basically, what happens is, too many people are having these seeming "shy" girls somehow be able to talk and become friends with COMPLETE STRANGERS, aka other people's characters. How is that, for the love of god, SHY? And remember what I mentioned earlier, about it either being the only fault/shoved with a bunch of useless faults that make you want to headbang since they're so minor and useless/stuffed with a bunch of sueish faults? Yup. You can guess what this means- THE GIRL CHARACTER IS NOW A SUE.

I know there are actual people in real life that are shy- but let's face it- shy people are not completely perfect except for their shyness and do not walk up to random strangers so casually they may as well be outgoing.

Shy characters only work if they're shy to the point they don't even talk to people and just like to stare and stare to the point of creepiness. And shy characters should also have a bunch of good faults to go along with their shyness. In other words, a bunch of good faults that work and can actually be shown in an RP, that affect the way they talk and act around others.

Moving on..

Ah, clumsiness. Isn't it so cute to have a clumsy character? Unfortunately, clumsy characters are sues. Clumsiness, believe it or not, is a sueish trait. Why? Well, think about it. Does it matter if a character trips a lot? NO. Faults should only affect a character's personality as a whole, so if you think about it, clumsiness sort of sucks as a fault. Especially if either put with a bunch of useless faults or put as a fault on it's own. Most people make their characters clumsy because they think it's sooooooo cute to have characters fall and be helped up by other characters, and because they think of it in an anime-like way. No, just no. This just makes your character into the attention seeker type that RPers just HATE.

Of course, clumsiness is okay if it means the character is a big oaf and is also aloof and a complete idiot who is dense. Although even that sorta ticks people off if the character is always all "HEY EVERYBODY *TRIPS*" and stuff.

So, for you lazy people who decided to skim through this and not read at all: Moral of the rant:

One, never play girls that are shy and have a bunch of useless faults/sueish faults to go along with their so called major fault called "SHYNESS". You'll have to basically RP with yourself until someone talks to your charrie- and even then, your charrie should probably just awkwardly shy away or just answer with one sentence.

Two, never play clumsy girls or boys unless you can do it right since it just makes for an attention seeking character.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you on the shy bit.

However, if executed well enough, and not used as the only "fault" of a character, that character actually might not qualify as a sue.

For example, if you have a completely nerdy character who lacks a sense of coordination and social skills, would that be a sue? Namely if they A.) Aren't pretty/cute B.) Are unpopular C.) Have no other sue-ish qualities? Or maybe you have a character that's just a klutz in general, and very careless.

For clumsiness to be truly sue-ish, that has to be the ONLY fault, or it has to be couples with other sue traits. There are plenty of characters that are clumsy that aren't sues in forms of entertainment(Steve Urkel, anyone? Princess Mia from "The Princess Diaries"? The Three Stooges). Clumsy characters can provide comic relief if necessary, or just be characters who are overall pitied-- but not in the sue way.

However, I agree that it is hard to properly execute the roleplaying of a clumsy character without going into sue territory. In retrospect, not all sues are clumsy.

So that's my opinion on that.

^Yeah, that's what I mean- basically, these faults are not to be put with a bunch of useless faults (i.e. Has a phobia of spiders! EXCEPT THEN SPIDERS NEVER APPEAR IN THE RP LOLOLOLOLOL). I just see too many people pairing clumsiness and shyness with faults that don't work out and never seem to ever be seen in the actual RP. I meant to put that in except I accidentally posted it before I wanted to, thanks to freaking accidentally firefox freezing up and then when I was clicking it to get it to unfreeze, it ended up clicking post before I was halfway done with this *rages*. So anyway, consider what I have up there now a final draft.

One more thing I'd like to add to the thing:

Even if you use descriptive words like "shyly said", it doesn't really matter in the long run. Especially if you have a shy character who does the "shyly said" in the first post and then basically is doing unshy things in the first post (I.E, approaching a random character, and then shyly saying "Hi".)

Last edited by a moderator:
you mean moe? I really don't RP at all but I could see the whole moe thing not really working in pure text. as well as the fact that nobody knows each other, but yeah i see where you're coming from.

BTW I know im going to sound like a total n00b but what exactly is a sue? I haven't ever really got that. (and yes i did google it, nothing.)

you mean moe? I really don't RP at all but I could see the whole moe thing not really working in pure text. as well as the fact that nobody knows each other, but yeah i see where you're coming from.

BTW I know im going to sound like a total n00b but what exactly is a sue? I haven't ever really got that. (and yes i did google it, nothing.)
Sorta, on the part about moe. The issue is people are making these super kawaii characters in non-anime based RPs, or realistic RPs (FFFFFF). This is the reason most people ban anime images in TT RPs, because most of the time people look for super moe anime pictures. But even then, some people describe moeish looks.

And anyway, a Sue is a perfect character, AKA a character with no flaws and is perfect. If you're wondering how to distinguish a sue from a normal charrie, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommonMarySueTraits

Sorta, on the part about moe. The issue is people are making these super kawaii characters in non-anime based RPs, or realistic RPs (FFFFFF). This is the reason most people ban anime images in TT RPs, because most of the time people look for super moe anime pictures. But even then, some people describe moeish looks.

And anyway, a Sue is a perfect character, AKA a character with no flaws and is perfect. If you're wondering how to distinguish a sue from a normal charrie, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommonMarySueTraits
OHHHHHHHH i see. thanks

I so agree, But I have to admit I am guilty of using shy in forms quite often.......

Oh hey look, a person who I can agree with!

I have been in RPs with plenty of shy and clumsy characters. The second they are introduced it's all, "Hello! *teehee* How are you? *bumps head* Ouchie! Can you kiss it better?" and I'm like, "B**** please."

The "shy" trait rarely comes out in a role play character and even if they were to have that trait for real, he/she would be a rather solitary character and render them unimportant and practically useless.

I am glad you spoke out about this, because I completely feel your agony.

Listen to this girls (and guys). No one likes that shy and clumsy character! It's not cute, and it's not funny, it's irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back