Advice on getting a "modern" tamagotchi

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danigotchi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't decided yet, but if I were to purchase one of the new generations of tamagotchi, what would be your suggestion? By "modern" I mean I literally haven't played any of the versions since the ancestor tamagotchi, and I currently have more ancestors coming (that I just ordered through eBay) that I always wanted as a kid, to add to my collection. I never played the Connection versions, let alone any of the P's etc.

I don't mind saving up and buying online/overseas. I really like the look of the 4Us since they're now operating in colour, and I kinda figure since it's been this many years without touching Tamagotchi at all (let's say maybe... 13 years or so?) then I might as well just go the brand spanking newest technology.

I'm just not sure if, with all the complicated additions to the Tamagotchi these days, buying a Japanese-only model is a great idea. Perhaps if I was to find a pretty helpful English guide on what all the 4U options mean so that it's more intuitive, I might be interested in getting one.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your time :)

Many people recommend the P's in terms of a modern tamagotchi. I don't have one myself, but I asked the same question you did and pretty much everyone listed P. As for any of the versions, it depends on whether you want simplicity or gameplay. V3 or v5 for simplicity, v4 or v6 for gameplay. Hope this helped!

Hello, hello!

I would only buy the 4U or the 4U+ (the newest Tamagotchi) if you have a phone that has NFC and can use the 4U app. The 4U doesn't have very many adult characters but you can download more through the 4U app or Mr.Blinky's 4U app which is in English.

I recommend looking and comparing all the versions that you're thinking about getting. I believe there are six different colored Tamagotchis out currently. The Tamagotchi P's is probably the cheapest colored version you'll find unused. The P's has lots of characters and cool features, like pets and daycare/school.

The non-colored ones are still great as well. A tama from the Tamagotchi Friend's series would be perfect for you I think! It has that old school tama feel with lots of features and characters.

Hope you find something you like! The Tamagotchi wiki is your friend :)

I got my 4U+ not too long ago and I wouldn't recommend you getting one as your first new Tamagotchi, they are quite disappointing and a big step back from previous versions, they are really not as good as they seem :/

If you want something modern I would recommend either a P's (Color) or a Dream Town (BW), both are really great version~

The P's is perfect if you want endless fun in your Tamagotchi as its packed with lots of features and lets you download even more, you can also get the english patch for the P's, then you won't have to worry about the Japanese :)

The Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town is also a really nice version, it's simple as the original friends but fixes all the mayor flaws from it, it has a lot more games and they are a lot better, it's really charming on it's own way :p

If you want something more Vintage-like I recommend the connection V2, it has lots of cool characters and cute animations to enjoy, and it feels really nostalgic :)

If you are looking for a more complex connection I say the V6 is the best ^_^

Thanks so much all! I really appreciate all the suggestions. I was doing a bit more research after I posted here and was starting to lean towards the P's myself, so I'm glad it was mentioned here. I'll be sure to seek hints & tips here if I get my hands on one :)

Like you, I stopped playing with Tamagotchis for over a decade and when I finally started again, I got myself the 4U (because I was fascinated by how it was in color). However, the 4U was quite a disappointment. Firstly, everything was in Japanese and there are limited English guides for it. Secondly (& perhaps most importantly), the 4U had very few features & characters and the only way to expand your game play was if you downloaded items using Bandai's 4U app or Mr Blinky's 4U app. Unfortunately, you won't be able to download Bandai's 4U app unless you're in Japan. And only very few phone/tablet models allow a seamless NFC connection. I am using a Samsung smart phone & I couldn't send anything over to my 4U even though my Samsung phone clearly was NFC-enabled. Needless to say, I got bored of the 4U within a week.

I started searching around for other Tamagotchi alternatives & discovered the Tamagotchi P's. I LOVE THIS VERSION! The game play is very expandable because there are different pierces you can purchase as add-ons to create variety. In addition, the P's on its own is feature-filled, with many things that you can discover & unlock along the way as you play. Meaning, the more you play, the more you discover, the more you unlock. Also, there is a lot of information on the P's online so you never have to wonder alone. In sum, I highly recommend the P's if you wish to take that 1st step into a colored Tamagotchi world. Have fun! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I like the Tama-go (v7) however I do know a lot of people who don't, I guess it's a personal thing. With that said, the additional figures you can buy for it make the gameplay much more interesting and fun. So as far as that goes I'd say either the Tama-go or a P's if you're looking for something with a colored screen :)

I think that if you want something fairly modern, easy, fun, and similar to the tamagotchi ancestors you can't go wrong with Tamagotchi Friends: Dream Town. You can buy them online at the Hot Topic website and they're pretty cheap (just under 20$) Also Hot Topic constantly has online sales, so you can get it even cheaper than that! I bought 2 for 30$ with 1$ shipping. They're not too demanding, they have modern features, tons of games...I'm loving mine :D It reminds me of my old tamas. The only problem with the black and white display is that it can be a little too dark with the backgrounds, but you can lower the contrast and make it better.

I think that if you want something fairly modern, easy, fun, and similar to the tamagotchi ancestors you can't go wrong with Tamagotchi Friends: Dream Town. You can buy them online at the Hot Topic website and they're pretty cheap (just under 20$) Also Hot Topic constantly has online sales, so you can get it even cheaper than that! I bought 2 for 30$ with 1$ shipping. They're not too demanding, they have modern features, tons of games...I'm loving mine :D It reminds me of my old tamas. The only problem with the black and white display is that it can be a little too dark with the backgrounds, but you can lower the contrast and make it better.
Thanks, I might add that one to my collection after the hype dies down with all the current ones I've ordered, haha :) Gives me something to look forward to!

The 4u is worth it IF and only if you have a compatible phone/tablet. There are over 50 downloadable characters and even more are coming out each month. Also, the face-plate thing is cool and you can even make your own out of resin. If you don't have such device I would just recommend a p's

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back