¤ WBM - The Lines are Drawn! ¤

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serenity III

Reaction score
- WBM - ‘The lines are drawn!’ -

(Warning, lengthy read) :mellow:

As the title states, there is a line.

Topic: WBM - Where the lines are drawn.

Welcome,

I would like to bring forward the topic of “WBM” ’s or so more commonly known as, “Wana be moderators”.

My opinion and, what I wanted to say was - THERE IS a line between legitimate and fake - Between a “Helpful person” and a so called “Wana be moderator”.

Too often have I seen the kind hearts of others discouraged by comments such as:

“Oh my god, wana be mod! See that wbm? Rofl, sad!”

________

This isn’t acceptable.

I know, for a fact there are people out there who drive to be a moderator - Who see it as their aspiration, though in their way leave a trail of spite.

HOWEVER.

I would like to split this thread into a few, detailed sections:

Wana be moderators (V1) -

Wana be moderators (V2) -

Legitimate players -

The result -

Ok, so if you would read each of the sections, you will see my view of the line between these “Labels”.

Wana be moderators V1 -

The form of “WBM” what people see want to be moderators as, perceived as irritating, stuck up and tight with a surreal passion for the rules of TamaTalk and giving abusers ( Or unaware, innocent players) a rather lengthy lecture of their fault.

They go about their business, looking for people who are breaking the rules and, when they have found what they are looking for they unleash a carefully thought reply (Usually copy/pasted) something along the lines of this scenario: ( I will make notes in brackets)

FORUM SCENARIO -

(Player 1 has posted a thread in the Introductions forum)

Player 1 -

“I like pie, do you like pie?” ( There is a high possibility that the player is unaware that this can be considered spam, trying to make general conversation)

WBM(v1) -

Hello <_<

Spam is not tolerated in the forums. ( an instant accusation that the player was intentionally spamming) This thread will be locked, and you will be punished. ( A comment showing aspects of “Back seat moderating”)

For future reference, I suggest you take a careful look at the “Rules”.

This is the “Introductions” forums, post threads like this in the “Non-TamaTalk” section of the forums next time, to avoid getting yourself into trouble.

However, if you continue to spam this on the general forums, you will be punished. ( Constant referral to player being “Punished” thus, intimidating the player)

Sincerely,

WBM(v1)

_END_

Notice how the WBM(v1) consistently went on about the player being punished, didn’t at all help the situation and wrote paragraph upon paragraph to explain the situation, when only one or two sentences were needed to guide the player, not lecture them . This discourages people from using the forums as majority of players don’t want to be punished, nor have the intention of breaking the rules.

This is over board. This, is unnecessary, this is what birthed the label “WBM”.

Wana be moderators V2 -

The unfortunate ones :D These players legitimately aspire to help players with the back held aspiration of becoming a moderator. So, they legitimately help people, AND want to be a moderator - They don’t go out of their way to report people, they don’t gloat, they don’t announce they have reported someone, if they do and they don’t use unnecessary amounts of text to lecture people on what they have done wrong.

FORUM SCENARIO (Comparison):

(Player 1 has posted a thread in the general forum)

Player 1 -

“I like pie, do you like pie?”

WBM(v2) -

Hey :D

Personally I prefer cake, but pie is ok.. :blink: (In addition to the conversation)

Oh, also this thread would gain way more feedback in the “Non-TamaTalk” section of the forums, I recon it would be better suited there.. You can have it moved by PMing a Guide.

Cheers!

_END_

So see the difference? It’s a matter of respect and courtesy.

A more formal approach to a situation such as a thread being posted in the wrong section not only builds a calm atmosphere but encourages courtesy and abolishes potential argument...

It’s these such people who are FALSLY labelled as “WBM”’s in the wrong context - Indeed they in some form “Want to be moderators” however, they are bantered even though they offer their help to the community. This is the type of behaviour that discourages helpful people with the right intentions, believing they have the wrong intentions.

The result -

Ultimately, no one wins. The people with questions are left with no answers, the people who want to help feel pressured, the people who insult linger to insult again and the community fails.. And for what? The desire of a badge? The thrill of putting someone down? The random hate? The want for “power"?

Next time you go to call someone a name, or label them think about what it really means :|

And to those out there, who aspire to be moderators - If you do so; have some respect, we are all equal, and have a heart - Be a human, not a robot :D

Take the time to give a "Human" reply - Not just something copy/pasted from a word doc. - Take into consideration what the person said, only 1.. or 2 sentences are needed, not a lecture.

Feel free to give your opinions, comments and thoughts.

This is a DICRIMINATION FREE zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you take some time to review the TamaTalk site rules yourself (pay particular attention to rule #15 and the definition of "back seat moderating").

There's really no need to paraphrase some of the key elements of existing, pinned rules in a more lengthy and detailed topic :D

*closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back