A New Home

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamagirl1092

Reaction score
A New Home Part III

“Ohhh!” I moaned as I sat up, rubbing my aching, bandaged head. “Where am I?” I looked around and blinked, surprised and filled with amazement. I was in a room. A beautiful room with hand carved wooden furnishings, and painted clay jars. Fresh, colorful flowers bordered the room’s walls in long chains, and cool, fresh air blew onto my face from the window next to my bed. I must be dreaming, I thought. My eyes immediately locked on the table across the room. It was covered with jars of water and fresh fruit from beginning to end: Bananas, berries of all kinds, pineapples, oranges, apples, and my favorite, mangos. I flew over to the table and began stuffing my face, grabbing everything in reach, and cramming it into my mouth. It all tasted so good! I hadn’t had a decent amount of food in ages! I was so hungry, I would’ve eaten dirt if I had to. I ate till I was full, inhaled the water, and plopped down on the bed, stuffed and happy. I almost felt like falling asleep again.

“Kali! You’re awake!” I quickly spun my head around and saw Chase standing in the doorway with an ear to ear smile on his face. “Chase!” I stumbled out of the bed and ran to him. He threw his arms around me and hugged me tightly. “I thought you’d never wake up! I’m so glad you’re finally awake!”

“How long was I asleep?”

“You’ve been out for days!”

“What happened?”

“You passed out in the canoe. You got really angry after you told us about the map thing, and well, you were so weak from hunger, I guess getting mad was too much for you to handle, and out you went. Well, until now of course.” Chase laughed, and hugged me tighter. “I’m so glad you’re alright.”

“So am I!” I joked, and then poked him in the rib. “Weelll?!” I asked.

“Well what?”

“Well, where are we?! First I’m in a canoe out in the middle of the ocean, then the next thing I know I’m waking up in a beautiful room, thinking I’m dreaming!”

“Oh!” Chase said, laughing. “Well, when you passed out, you hit your head on the floor of the canoe pretty hard, and it started to bleed everywhere, so I bandaged it and then we all tried to wake you up. We tried for about two hours, but nothing worked, so we just left you alone after that.” I made a disgusted face, and touched my head.

“Eww! So you’re saying I’ve had this thing on my head for days now?”

“Oh no! I’ve changed it for you everyday. I was actually on my way to change it today when I walked in and saw you awake! Good thing I set up this buffet for you in case you woke up. I knew you’d be famished when you did. ”

“Oh. Well, thank you. So how did we get here?”

“I don’t know. We were all so tired from taking care of you all day, we fell asleep, and when we woke up the next morning, we were on the shore of this island. I know it’s not the island on the map I found though. I looked up at the North Star to find our coordinates, and this island wasn’t on the map at all. It’s uncharted.”

“Wow. You always were a big nerd! But thanks again for doing all of that stuff for me. I really do appreciate it.” I said, and looked around the room some more. “So how did you guys get this all set up in just a couple of days? This is amazing!”

“That’s the weirdest part Kali! WE didn’t do this! When we woke up on the shore, all of this was already here. Someone was here before us. But when we got out and looked around for people, no one was here. Who ever was here before we came vanished. I don’t know where they could’ve gone except into the ocean, which I doubt.” My eyes wide with wonder, I walked out of the hut, and into the sunlight to let everything sink in. The minute I stepped foot outside, everyone stopped what they were doing and ran over to hug me and tell me how great it was that I was alright. Moni and Teto were the first ones to reach me. They each gave me a lung crushing hug, and ruffled my hair like I was a little five year old.

“She’s lives!!” Teto teased. I socked him the arm, and laughed.

“Yeah, I enjoyed my four day nap. I needed it.” Chase pulled me by the arm.

“Come on Kal! I want to show you around the island. It’s pretty cool!” He took me over to this somewhat small hut. “This is one of the three huts on the island. One was the one you were in, which is the honeymoon hut. You do the math. This one is where half of us sleep, and another one is where the other half sleeps. There is one more, but it’s still under construction. We started that one once we got here. We need our space. Two huts just isn’t gonna work.”

“Yeah? So how many huts do you guys plan on building?”

“I want to make one for every person here.”

“Wow. That’s a lot of work.”

“Yeah, but it’ll be worth it. Come on. I want to show you some more stuff.” Chase grabbed my hand, and we started to run. It felt so good to move my legs freely again. He pulled me up to this big building with a really long table in front of it. The table had many bowls, tools, and things all over it, and Sasha was busy fiddling with most of them. “This is the research table were we study to gain new advances in our technologies.”

“Cool! What’s the huge building for?”

“We don’t know yet. We’ll have to make something out of it someday. We just have to figure everything out first.”

“Oh, I see.” As we were walking, I talked to him about the night the volcano erupted. There were dozens of canoes that night, but we were the only ones to drift ashore this island. Really weird. I hope Momma and Papa are alright. I probably might never see them again, I thought to myself. I started to think about all of the good times my parents and I had. I thought of my favorite memory: Mom would be making supper for the night, and I was about seven, and I’d sit in Papa’s lap and he’d tell me stories of his childhood, and I’d gradually fall asleep while he talked, and wake up in my bed the next morning with my warm blanket thrown over me. I felt the tears gathering in my eyes, and a huge lump began to form in my throat.

“Kali, are you alright? What’s wrong?”

“Oh nothing. I was just thinking about Papa, and Momma. I miss them so much. I don’t even know if they’re alive or not.” Chase wrapped his arms around me in a comforting hug. I couldn’t hold it in any longer. I sat there and balled on Chase’s shoulder for a few minutes, and pulled away, wiping my nose on my arm.

“Are you okay now?” I nodded and sniffled.

“Yeah. I’m alright now. Thanks.”

“I think we’ve done enough exploring. Let’s head back to the village center with the others, and you can choose what job you want.

“Alright. Let’s go.” As we walked, I began to realize how much Chase had done for me. He must really care about me, I thought to myself. We approached the research table, and I began to observe what Sasha was doing.

She was stirring some kind of mixture in a bowl.

“What are you mixing?” I asked, curiously looking over her shoulder.

“I’m experimenting on a new medicine, but everything I’ve tried so far hasn’t worked out so well. I just have to keep trying.” This sounded interesting, and intrigued me.

“I think I’ll go look around at the other jobs first, and then I’ll get back to you.” So Chase and I walked around and looked at everything from foraging for berries and fruit, healing the sick, and helping with the construction. I just couldn’t decide, so I chose to take a walk to help me make my decision. I walked along the shore of the beach and gazed at the beautiful boulders at the end of the shore line. The children were running around, laughing and playing together on the rocks. The cool, salty sea breezes blew onto my face, and I felt totally relaxed.

I looked at the beautiful paradise around me. “Wow. What a day.” I said aloud and smiled to myself.

Latest posts

Back