A Premiership Miracle

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*~Jess~*

Reaction score
[SIZE=11pt]BEFORE YOU READ[/SIZE]! Although this story might be a bit long, I recommend reading it all! You'll love it!

It is the last over of the high school cricket competition final between Coller High and North Bunnwe State High. I am Nick and play for Coller High, and we are currently batting. We need 22 from the last over to win, with only 1 wicket remaining.

My teammate Phil is facing. I must admit he is a bit hopeless with the bat. Last week we had two innings and Phil got two golden ducks.

He isn't the most confident of all players, he is scared of nearly everything on the field.

Anyway, back to the game.

Phil is facing and the bowler is the most feared player from North Bunnwe, Marty. Marty is a super fast bowler, bowls faster than most average 15 year old and he's only 13.

Marty is running in and I can see Phil's knees shaking. He is petrefied.

Marty stomps to the crease and WHOOSH!!!

The ball flies to the keeper. I quickly run down to Phil.

"Hey, Phil."

"Yeah?" Phil replied glumly.

"Keep your head up, okay? It will help you." I said.

"Are you sure?" Phil asked nevously as he saw Marty's intimidating face as he shined up the ball.

"Yes I'm sure"

"Now all you need to do is push a single, alright?"

"Yes" Phil replied.

Phil took his stance and did what I told him to do. Head up, concentrate. Marty stomped in again for the second ball of his over.

Phil was still nervous, but not as nervous as what he was before.

WHOOSH! The ball came flying again, but this time Phil managed to get his bat close enough to the ball for it to fly past the slips.

We ran once and as we crossed over I said "Good job," and I could see that Phil was happy with himself.

I was facing, our last hope of the premiership. There were 4 balls left, and we needed 21 runs. I needed four boundaries.

Marty steamed in like a coal train to the crease. I concentrated.

It seemed like forever before the ball came to me. It felt like I had all the time in the world to square up and bash it past square leg.

TONK!!!

I got full bat on the ball, and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. It flew over square leg's head and bounced over the boundary for four.

"Yeah!" I celebrated.

Phil came down to me and said "Great shot!".

"Thanks," I said.

But it wasn't over yet. We still needed 17 from three, which means I needed 3 sixes. Impossible on my standards.

But I never give up, and this was not the time to start.

In came Marty again, a little ruffled under the feathers from my four, but still rough and tough.

TONK!!

Right down past cover for 6! I was so thrilled. Maybe it isn't so impossible after all.

Phil was very excited too, he never thought someone like him could even get to the final of anything.

Marty was getting frustrated and losing his touch. That ball was slower than the one before, the pressure's on.

He stormed in, a little slower than before.

BANG!! This time the ball was hit past deep mid wicket.

"It's going, going, going, gone!" I could hear my teammates on the stands cheering as it went over the rope for six.

You should've seen the grin on my face! Not even a staple gun could stop me smiling that much!

Now it was the last ball, and our last chance to grab the premiership back from North Bunnwe.

This time Marty just jogged in. He was so frustrated and worn out that he couldn't play properly anymore.

He jogged to the crease and lobbed it to me as if to say "Do whatever you want with it mate!"

PONK!!!

This time I hit the ball over mid-wicket. It was going... going... it was so hard to judge if it was going to be six or four. I was so nervous.

"YAYyyyhh...!!" my teammates were cheering, but suddenly silenced.

Long on was running around and seemed to know exactly where the ball was going, right down his throat.

I started to give up. Long on was going to catch it. Bye bye premiership.

Long on was running deeper and deeper into the outfield. He was nearly a metre from the rope.

The ball started coming down, at an alarming rate, and going straight down his throat. I was definately gone now.

It fell, and fell. It seemed like it was an action replay being played in slow motion.

Mid on didn't take his eyes off the ball. It was going straight into his hands.

The ball fell into his hands and he held it... for about half a second!!

The ball slipped through his fingers, he juggled the ball in his hands, not on purpose of course. Long on could juggle it no more. He missed it and it fell. In an attempt to kick the ball back to his hands, he accidentally kicked it over the rope for six!!!

"OH MY GOD!!" I yelled.

It was amazing. I couldn't believe I had actually done that. I won the game, and preimierhip, for Coller High!!

Phil raced down from the non-striking end and gave me a high five. He gave me a huge pat on the back, actually more like a slap.

My team was cheering from the stands. "YAAAAAYYY! GO NICK!!!! YOU DID IT!!!"

Not long later we had our ceremony where all of our team were presented with our medals infront of a huge crowd. When I was presented with mine from Andrew Symonds, I was so happy. I was grinning so much, that this time my grin could not even be killed with a rocket launcher.

I turned and faced the crowd and waved to my parents who were in the crowd.

From the corner of my eye I could see Marty with his arms crossed and with the most grumpy, jealous and frustrated face I have ever seen.

The cheers of my team, the look on Marty's face, and everything of that final remained in my head for years, and will forever, until the day I die.

This, I can honestly say, was the best day of my life.

Latest posts

Back