A "right" way to experience games?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soenattchi

Reaction score
So, let me start that my intended title for this topic was "Does being an RPG perfectionist ruin the experience of a game?"

In which, I'd like to address something I catch myself doing with increasing frequency, almost disturbingly so. The realization came upon me mostly because of the recent discussion I've been having over at the Fire Emblem Awakening thread with users Bitbot and It's Teri -which you can reference in the subforum- in which I broke down the reasons why certain parents are better suited for some children in order to get optimal results. Now hod this term for me for a minute. By optimal results I, of course, don't mean the best storylines by any means, but best stats. And I had to arrive to these conclusions after trial and error and breaking down the game's "code" so to speak, reducing every character to stats, inherited stat boosts and drawbacks and abilities that could be passed on or not to create a set of optimized units bred to lay waste upon the battlefield.

But this is not the only place where I do that. To me, that's only a natural conclusion of spending hours upon hours playing my favorite eugenics simulator, Pokemon. Back in the day I almost frowned upon people that would obsessively hunt for IVs and EV train because where was the fun in fishing at the same spot for over five hours so you could battle 300 magikarp or 100 gyarados or hatching eggs for days on end for a perfect mon? But nowadays? I find myself biking up and down in a straight line from route 5, through Camphrier town, and to the end of route 7 way too often for comfort, hatching eggs, having them evaluated and then breeding some more, often substituting the mons in daycare for better ones that hatch in the progress.

Of course all is fair in love and war, as they say, and in this day and age there's simply no other way to enjoy a proper online battle unless you're into finding yourself in a curbstomp from which there is no escape. "There's simply no other way" I tell myself as I breed the third hundredth Eevee in my quest for a shiny with perfect IVs. But is it really the case? And at the end of the day, does it derive from the experience of the game as a game?

Now, I'm one that puts story above all else so "I" don't feel like I'm losing out on either end of the spectrum, I just simply burn more hours into it. But looking at it from a game developer standpoint... games are made to be experienced a certain way, story, mechanics, the whole deal. And of course one could argue that Pokemon is built around the fact that it's competitive but when that translates over onto other games... is it still "healthy" so to speak? Do we ruin our experience of the game when we break it down to its tidbits and go math crazy on its formulas? At the end of the day, is there even a "right" way to experience games?

Yeah i think youcare right about both Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

With Fire Emblem awakening i was looking for a "perfect" playtrough. But no i am not going to do that. Too much time and not fun. Ibam goung for the most fun pairings.

As for Pokemon when i was little i did not understand EV Iv and English. But yet i had fun with my fav pokemon Palkia he didn't have good ivs or stats but still i loved him. Now i must have that perfect pokemon with that nature and that egg moves. I stopped doing this cause it got boring.

Just for now i play games without auming for the perfect.

I'm not one to go for the perfect playthrough, but I still try to get at least a good playthrough - like in Fire Emblem: Awakening, I pair characters either at random, based on who I've already had married to each other and who I haven't, or based on previous supports I've seen with them (the exception being the two units I pair together on every single save file, no matter what - and hey I get a great result from that every time!), and then I try to work out skill inheritance based on what's available and what would most benefit the child unit. Sometimes that's pretty hard though, and I spend a long time trying to get the skills to pass down. I do occasionally take note, however, of which pairing and skill set for each child unit has benefited them the most through my experience, just in case. I haven't really looked into stats though, just the skill inheritance.

I mainly just like to enjoy the game as I'm playing, but there are things to think about in order to have a good experience with the game I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just have fun, simple.

Not having fun?

f2600af677.png

Spice things up a bit with a little corruption.

I like to play a game however I want the first time through, making mistakes and experimenting with results. The second time, once I've already experienced the story, I try to go for a "perfect" playthrough. That way, I get to play the fun way AND be a completionist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back