Acting

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitestorm

Reaction score
For awhile now I have been dying to become an actress. Just the thought of being in a movie is really exciting to me. But the thing is, I have no idea what to do or how to get started. My mom said that I should start by doing drama in school, but I don't like the thought of doing "plays", especially not in front of my peers. I want to do movies. Another problem is that where I live, no movies are ever being made here so it's impossible to audition for one. And my parents sure as heck aren't going to be able to take me down to Los Angeles to audition for movies. Any good advice?

If you aren't prepared to perform in plays or in front of your peers then you aren't really cut out to be an actress.

Films are just like televised plays - you have a character, setting, script and costume. The difference is that you aren't doing it live.

And if you are too nervous or put off by performing in front of your peers then I don't think you could handle the whole world seeing you. If you are nervous about being critised by the people in your grade then you don't fit into the acting world where people will be critising you left, right and center.

The best place to start would definitely be by taking drama classes in school because they teach you the basics of performing and all the technical stuff. If you aren't prepared to take these classes then you will probably never be an actress.

I'm sorry if I come across a little harsh.

It isn't that I'm scared or nervous, its just that at my school the plays are, well...really weird. It's very hard to explain. Maybe I should see if there are any theatre groups around my area that I could start off with.

Fire.Fly is absolutley right. Start off in drama or in plays and then who knows, maybe you'll be cut out to be one. A lot of those disney stars actually were found because of a talent agent seeing them perform in school plays, so you never know :lol:

I'd love to become an actress myself. In my primary school, we don't have a ''theatre'' group or anything, but hopefully in high school there'll be a chance. I really recommend starting off at school...even if the plays are weird...one day you'll be asked to do a movie and you may think its weird, but there won't be much of a choice.

If you're really desperate to be seen and become an actress, you cannot just dismiss all acting clubs/performances at your school because you think they're "a little weird". You have to go for every opportunity you get, join acting clubs, etc. If you're truly serious about acting, you cannot dismiss opportunities. Like Fire.Fly said, you need to join a Drama extra-curricular if you're really serious about this. Good luck!

I agree with Fire.Fly, bratztroxg, and pretty everyone else that has posted so far. You need some experience under your belt first. Amateur actors and actresses don't pass up roles just because they don't care for them - they take every opportunity they get to better themselves. Even when you're proffessional, you don't always get the parts you want.

So start out with theatre at school and whatnot, and then do your research. See when and where movie castings are, and then talk to your parents about it. Getting involved in acting in school will also show your parents that you are commited and really want to do this.

If this is what you really want to do, it's going to take time. Like years. But eventually maybe you'll get lucky.

Listen to your mom. Start with plays.

And like, audition for a LOT of plays. Every play that works well with your schedual.

And when you're in your auditions, hold your head high and be confident. Also, make friends with the director. I've heard a lot of directors for local plays play favorites with close friends.

Eventually, you'll be really good. Duh. And maybe, JUST maybe someone will know some movie director who needs a person like you to fill in for a part in a movie.

But remember you won't always get the part you're hoping for.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it was really helpful. I decided to ask my mom if she would let me join a local childrens theatre and she said we could do some research on it and then she would talk to me dad about it. I'm worried now though because my dad think sits a horrible idea...oh well. I am also going to join drama next year at my school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back