Americans.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Christail~

Reaction score
My current location is at the computer desk
No offence to any americans (of course I say that but still anyone has the right to tell me the skinny) but when on US shows, they need Australians, they get their Americans to pull it and therefore mock it..ridculously.

Eg, in Ugly Betty: Christina got a phone call from Sarah Jessica Parker and she chickened out so she gave the phone to Betty. (Mind you, Ashley Jensen plays Christina so she has an accent READ SIGNATURE FOR WHAT ACCENT) and Betty sounded fake Aussie...trying to pull the Scottish accent.

Another eg, in The Simpsons: Bart made prank calls to Australia and so the Simpsons had to go to Australia to say sorry (fair enough!) and all the Australians had a fake accent put on them. They mocked Australia BAD! And, to add to that, they made the Australian boy in it have a really weird "American-trying-to-pull-Australia" name. Forget what it was.

Yet another eg, in George Shrinks: George got stuck in a parcel and got sent all around the world. When he got to Australia, they made out that Australia was a desert wasteland (no less!) And we always wore bushranger outfits.

And yet another eg, in movie In the Wild: They made the koala dumb, mocked his accent and joked about what koalas do. "Oi, have you got any eucalyptus wipes?" he says

Well, thats me forcing my opinion. Otherwise, America rocks!! Truly, I wish we delcared independence! xx Chrissy

I am Australian, and yes, I agree.

Because of all these TV shows and movies, many people from all over the world, especially America, are getting the wrong impression about us Aussies, and what we are really all about.

On a movie, like some of the one's you've mentioned ~Christail~, 9 times out of 10, the information on a show is false.

On that Simpsons episode, our Prime Minister does not swim naked in mudholes, nor does he live in the bush. Most of Australia's population live in either the city or suburbs, and we definately don't have over-done accents like Crocodile Dundee. ;) I know the Simpsons is just a show to make things funny, but I think they went far on that one.

Most of you would think that Australia's koalas thrive everywhere considering they're on most movies either based in or around Australia, but in fact they are near threatened.

And no, we don't have pet kangaroos. It is legally against the law :huh:

I like to add one thing... Don't blame "Americans". Blame Westerners.

Marine the Raccoon in Sonic Rush Adventure, a game for the DS; Marine speaks in a highly, sterotypical accent and uses slang also.

I love Australia.

I hate how all the producers do all that crap accents.

It is disgraceful.

Incredibly.

I love Austrailians. And Finnish people. And The British. and The Asians. And The..*Goes on naming many things*

I hate the Simpsions. They try to make thins funny. they ruined Harry Potter for me with that "Harry Plopper" and How he smoked D:

George Shrinks was produced in Canada.

Speaking of Canada. Cow and Chicken Portrayed Canadians pretty much Sterotypical. By making them Mounties and saying "eh" at the end of their sentances.

I am Australian, and yes, I agree.Because of all these TV shows and movies, many people from all over the world, especially America, are getting the wrong impression about us Aussies, and what we are really all about.

On a movie, like some of the one's you've mentioned ~Christail~, 9 times out of 10, the information on a show is false.

On that Simpsons episode, our Prime Minister does not swim naked in mudholes, nor does he live in the bush. Most of Australia's population live in either the city or suburbs, and we definately don't have over-done accents like Crocodile Dundee. :huh: I know the Simpsons is just a show to make things funny, but I think they went far on that one.

Most of you would think that Australia's koalas thrive everywhere considering they're on most movies either based in or around Australia, but in fact they are near threatened.

And no, we don't have pet kangaroos. It is legally against the law ;)
How do we get a wrong impression about you from a fake accent? I mean, most of us know what an Australian accent sounds like. And the Simpsons, Ugly Betty, whatever, they're just TV Shows. Fictional stories! So they aren't factual [hence they call it fiction] and I don't see anyone getting a wrong impression.

Honestly, I don't see that as a terribly offensive thing. Most groups of people who speak a certain way whether it be accent, dialect, etc, get mocked by some other group at some point. Generally, no harm is actually meant by it, it's just people acting dorky about cultures that they don't understand.

I'm from Kansas, in the Midwest USA. I've heard far more people mocking "hillbilly" accents than I ever have heard mocking Australians. It's mildly annoying, because not everyone from this area talks like a "hick", as many assume we do. And, even if a person talks with that accent, it doesn't mean that they are stupid or uneducated. A LOT of shows portray Midwesterners as being simple hilbillies with thick accents, and it just isn't that way.

So, I understand that it bothers you, but it happens to many different groups of people, not just Aussies. ;)

I never really noticed the Austrailian mockings before, but I've noticed the Asian mockings and the Canadian mockings.

Asians - Interperated as fast speaking, weird, and very smart.

Canadians - Saying 'eh' after EVERYTHING, police dressing as the old school mounted police, and eating beef jerky.

I think those mockings can go for every country, and honestly it doesn't bother me. If someone were intellegent enough, they would know Austrailians aren't based on kangaroos and stuff like that. It's just for entertainment, and it's funny to laugh about it once and a while.

Also, for that George Shrinks thing, they had to show it like that or else the kids wouldn't know where the heck George was unless they displayed a kangaroo, since it is a sterostypical aspect of the Austrailian culture. Just easier for kids to understand.

I don't understand why it's Americans who are specifically put to blame for Austrailian accents on television. :|

You can pin a lot of stuff on us right now, but not something as widespread as bad accents.

We're not the only country in the world that watches or produces television, you know.

It really isn't a big deal if you don't take it seriously. From what I see you've gone in and picked out teeny tiny incidences and said, "Therefore, BECAUSE OF AMERICA!!!11" Lighten up a bit, nobody has a grudge against your country :]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why it's Americans who are specifically put to blame for Austrailian accents on television. :|You can pin a lot of stuff on us right now, but not something as widespread as bad accents.

We're not the only country in the world that watches or produces television, you know.

It really isn't a big deal if you don't take it seriously. From what I see you've gone in and picked out teeny tiny incidences and said, "Therefore, BECAUSE OF AMERICA!!!11" Lighten up a bit, nobody has a grudge against your country :]
Alot of people like to use Americans as a scapegoat thse days as is.

These shows are pretty minor, compaired to what some Western cartoons did back in the 20's, 30', 40's and up to the 60's.

I mean, watch some Warner Brothers, Tex Avery or even a Betty Boop Cartoon. There are tons of Racial Sterotypes. I mean, look, I saw a Tex Avery Cartoon on some channel eons ago with someone in Alaska and they were in an Igloo. Even the Disney, Tex Avery and Warner Brother cartoons that were produced durring and before World War II has Sterotypes also.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do we get a wrong impression about you from a fake accent? I mean, most of us know what an Australian accent sounds like. And the Simpsons, Ugly Betty, whatever, they're just TV Shows. Fictional stories! So they aren't factual [hence they call it fiction] and I don't see anyone getting a wrong impression.
I wasn't talking the accents. I was talking about TV shows as a whole.

And yes, I know TV shows are fictional, but you don't know how many times I've been asked here if I have a pet kangaroo :lol:

Another eg, in The Simpsons: Bart made prank calls to Australia and so the Simpsons had to go to Australia to say sorry (fair enough!) and all the Australians had a fake accent put on them. They mocked Australia BAD! And, to add to that, they made the Australian boy in it have a really weird "American-trying-to-pull-Australia" name. Forget what it was.
Uhh... you know,the Simpsons make fun of every nationality, ethinicity, and religion in existence.

You have to take things like these in good heart. If someone made fun of me (a white nerdy american, I have a lot of things to be mocked about XD) I would take it in good humor and laugh.

Besides, anyone who KNOWS an australian knows those aren't real. :lol:

I hate how whenever Australia is shown on T.V everyone wears those cork hats, eats Vegemite and says "Crikey!" in every sentence.

I love being Australian.

I love having an Aussie accent.

And I hate how on American (Mainly American) T.V they confuse the Aussie accent with the English one.

Yes, I realise that it wasn't only the US, but they are the first country that comes to mind on that topic. Yes, they're just TV shows but gets annoying all the same. Yes, I was expecting this response. Yes, I get that the US mocks the whole world, but of course, your own country is the first country you'd think of right? Yes, The Simpsons are only trying to be funny but it gets annoying all the same, as I said. The whole idea of this topic was actually because it was on my mind, but (as I said) you can't this sort of topic in Whats on your Mind? can you? So this was the only place. I mean no offences to any Americans, cos' you can't hate a country if you want to visit it?? But I understand if they're offences taken. I'm posting this to shoot the air that I mean (verrry) well to americans. I have no grunges to no one from the US. Okay, I've at least repeated myself like tonnsa times...I'll go.

xx Chrissy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back