Animal Love

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamagirl_Desy

Reaction score
Something has been really on my mind lately.

Can animals LOVE? I mean, with another animal. They mate, have babies, but do they actually feel something for eachother, like humans do? If not, how do they pick the ''right'' mate?

Just wanted to see your opinions and dicuss it! ^-^

It depends on to what extent you believe animals think, if you will, and feel.

Personally, I do not believe it is "love". I believe some animals pick out other animals to mate with based on appearance/strength etc. but not for 'I luff you, lets make chil'n'.

I agree with TW/P. It may be just their sences or insticts. I think it's not love. It's science.

Regards,

TC1200

I think they can actually love each other. Otherwise, how do they mate? :) I think this is a really interesting topic and just right for Seriously Non Tamatalk.
It's just a thing they do- to continue the species is built into them. I've never heard of an animal "making chil'n' for pleasure.

Mmm...interesting question. I have to agree with TW/P. Ever heard of these species of birds? They live in the Amazon and the males have GORGEOUS feathers. Rainbow colors. Very flashy. Very beautiful. So, the males, to find a mate, think up this dance to impress the females and show off. The females are REALLY picky.

I was watching Planet Earth (Amazing documentaries...highly reccomend it) and it showed one male doing his little dance. He had gorgeous feathers and such a cute little dance, but no girlfriend for him.

Well my cat hates every other animal, EXCEPT 1 cat. They were bestfriends and nuzzled eachother and cleaned eachother, etc. They didn't mate since they're male, but they loved eachother as BFFS. How would instinct tie into this is strength/other stuff was not a factor?

I believe certain animals can truely love. We're technically animals as well.

Depends on the kind of animal, but I think some can actually feel love for another animal, yes. For example, let's take my favorite animal, the gerbil. They do seem to love and care about one another. A gerbil without another gerbil for a friend is very lonely and depressed. They form amazing bonds with one another. They sleep and cuddle together, groom each other, and even play little games with one another, such as a playful boxing match. They don't groom each other just for cleanliness, either, they also do it to show affection to the other. Many gerbils literally beg to be groomed by the other gerbil. If introduced properly, it is also very possible for a gerbil to form such a bond with an un-related gerbil. Mother gerbils sometimes risk their own lives for their babies. And a father gerbil is also amazingly close with his babies, and protects them, cares for them, cuddles with them, etc. A gerbil also spends the rest of his life with his mate, and their children. The older siblings in a burrow actually help care for the younger ones. Even once a gerbil has had a few litters of babies, her and her partner will continue to mate frequently. In some animals, mating is very violent. Sometimes the male pins the female down and bites her neck to make her stay still! Not gerbils, however. They mate very peacefully. Finally, a common behavior from gerbils is foot thumping. They thump their long back feet quickly. Sometimes this means, "Danger, take cover!" But a lot of times it means that the gerbil is sexually excited. Yes, they actually do get sexually excited naturally. They even do this when there isn't a gerbil of the opposite sex nearby. Whenever their hormones kick in, they start thumping like crazy.

Lots of animals do this kind of thing, I just wanted to give an example. I was also just thinking about something. What about primates, our closest animal relatives? If gerbils can love each other, surely chimpanzees or gorillas can, right? :angry: What is your opinion on this? :huh:

hmmn..

not sure.

My grandma's cat, Tiger.. she likes to go outside, and she's constantly coming hom pregnant.. and it's from 1 cat, onl 1. She only mates with that one cat, he is orange abd fluffy. So i dunno.. i think it's possible, but then.. there are those animals that just mate with a different partner each mating season or something.

I know penguins can. They mate for life :3A few other animals are like that too.
I never knew that lol.

But as SK said some do. But alot of animals mate then never see each other again in a sense. Like when you buy your dogs, you didn't get a puppy cause the adult dogs wanted puppies and loved each other you got the puppy because the owner wanted to sell some puppies etc. (Not all dogs, but most dogs.)

It depends on to what extent you believe animals think, if you will, and feel.
Personally, I do not believe it is "love". I believe some animals pick out other animals to mate with based on appearance/strength etc. but not for 'I luff you, lets make chil'n'.
I agree :ichigotchi:

If we can, why can't they?

I'm an amature animal communicator, and animals have gone into depression after losing there friends.

So I say why not?

I believe it is.

I have a cat and he is great with humans, but, with other cats, terrible. I got another cat(R.I.P Spooky ;_ ;) and they bonded fast. They'd groom each other, cuddle up at night, work out how to open the doors to get extra food together and tons of other stuff. They were both males, so no kittens, but, they loved each other like family. Once, Spooky was trying to open a door and he jumped to the handle, but his collar latched on. (No-one was in the house, just my pets) He was stuck, but there were tooth marks on the collar, and a cat can't bite off their own collar, so, Garfield(My other cat) must have jumped up and bit into it, saving Spooky. when I got home, they were cuddling and going to sleep together.

When spooky died, Garfield was running EVERYWHERE to find him, it was so sad, he was meowing sadly and pawing at me like he wanted to know where Spooky was, sadly, he wasn't coming back. He's only recently got over it but he still meows at the door at night, looking for him. ;__;

If that isn't love(Like, Best friends), what is?

I believe it is.I have a cat and he is great with humans, but, with other cats, terrible. I got another cat(R.I.P Spooky ;_ ;) and they bonded fast. They'd groom each other, cuddle up at night, work out how to open the doors to get extra food together and tons of other stuff. They were both males, so no kittens, but, they loved each other like family. Once, Spooky was trying to open a door and he jumped to the handle, but his collar latched on. (No-one was in the house, just my pets) He was stuck, but there were tooth marks on the collar, and a cat can't bite off their own collar, so, Garfield(My other cat) must have jumped up and bit into it, saving Spooky. when I got home, they were cuddling and going to sleep together.

When spooky died, Garfield was running EVERYWHERE to find him, it was so sad, he was meowing sadly and pawing at me like he wanted to know where Spooky was, sadly, he wasn't coming back. He's only recently got over it but he still meows at the door at night, looking for him. ;__;

I know my cats Pink, Floyd, Peppa and George are the same. Pink loves the Peppa and George like they're her own kittens and Floyd cuddles up with Pink and they groom each other, they're neutured so no babies but they do love each other because they're brother and sister, same with Peppa and George who're also brother and sister. Pink and Floyd groom each other a lot to show their love and sometimes Pink grooms Peppa and Floyd grooms George, sure they have their play fights but they're only playing. If the cats aren't allowed out but one gets out, the other gets out to look for them and if they don't find them then they come back all sad and meow and stuff. Oh yeah and all four of them work together to get the cat food or cheese or whatever and then instead of one scoffing the lot, they all share it round. As Nix666 said, if that isn't love, then what is?

Anyway I think certain types of animals (cats, dogs, penguins, etc) love but other animals (seals, sea lions, reptiles, etc) just mate for the kids but seals and sea lions LOVE their kids, like you see them doing nosies with them and stroking their backs and if a human or predator comes near the babies, the adult attacks them, risking it's life.

I believe it is.I have a cat and he is great with humans, but, with other cats, terrible. I got another cat(R.I.P Spooky ;_ ;) and they bonded fast. They'd groom each other, cuddle up at night, work out how to open the doors to get extra food together and tons of other stuff. They were both males, so no kittens, but, they loved each other like family. Once, Spooky was trying to open a door and he jumped to the handle, but his collar latched on. (No-one was in the house, just my pets) He was stuck, but there were tooth marks on the collar, and a cat can't bite off their own collar, so, Garfield(My other cat) must have jumped up and bit into it, saving Spooky. when I got home, they were cuddling and going to sleep together.

Get food and stuff, that made me lol XD

That remindes me of my pet, Jackson, on the looking for friends. Before, my nextdoor neighbours cat died a few monthes ago before I moved, and he was sad. when we let him outside (The Cat, Timone, died in fall) he meowed to the other side of the fence, waiting for Timone to come. both male, couldent mate, but they were best friends. and Now weve moved, Jackson had another friend, Bohboy, but he was on the otherside of my nextdoor neigbours house, and Hailey, the girl over there, let her cat out all the time in the backyard. He always climbed over the fences and went to our house XD

One time Me and my friend adam (Next door) found Bohboy in my backyard, and we tried sending him over his fece so we could herd him into his backyard. Adam kept holding him as if he was a puppy, he never held a cat before XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back