Avril Lavigne sued

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Matchmaker

Reaction score
I heard on the radio she was sued by this '70s band Reubenoos because they think she plagiarized the hey hey, you you part of their song on 'Girlfriend'. Here they are:

'Girlfriend'

'I want to be your boyfriend' [comparison thing]

Then they said

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png
sounded more like 'Girlfriend' than 'I want to be your Boyfriend'. 

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds somewhat like that. o_O'

The remake of songs always sound better than the old version. Wait, she wouldn't get sued if she gave credit, right? I'm glad Lil' Mamma didn't get it trouble. But I don't think she got sued for saying "Hey hey you you!" she copied more parts of the song. Poor her, then again if she knew the song then it's her own fault..

It does sound a lot alike. But I don't think it really matters that much. I mean, the way they sang their song isn't copywrited. They shouldn't sue just because somebody is using something a little similar to that.

But what do I know. I'm just some 14 year old girl. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

C~M

It does sound a lot alike. But I don't think it really matters that much. I mean, the way they sang their song isn't copywrited. They shouldn't sue just because somebody is using something a little similar to that.
But what do I know. I'm just some 14 year old girl. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

C~M
Actually how a song is played be it lyrics, melody and rhythm are all copyrighted for a period of time. Once the artist or owner of the copyright dies, 50 years after death is when the copyright on the media is broken and you can do what you want with it.

Credit or not when someone re-sings another person's original they usually have a fee or price upfront. I learned this in my entertainment class before I graduated. There's lots of remakes of songs out there. If she did praise the group for inspiring her she would of also paid them for the remake. Sounds like a complete surprise though.

Actually how a song is played be it lyrics, melody and rhythm are all copyrighted for a period of time. Once the artist or owner of the copyright dies, 50 years after death is when the copyright on the media is broken and you can do what you want with it.
Credit or not when someone re-sings another person's original they usually have a fee or price upfront. I learned this in my entertainment class before I graduated. There's lots of remakes of songs out there. If she did praise the group for inspiring her she would of also paid them for the remake. Sounds like a complete surprise though.
Hmm, I never knew that. :)

C~M

Ha. How pathetic.

She would have to have know about that- there's no way she or some of her people missed that.

God, this is stupid >< I think that song Girlfriend is a Spawn of "Hey Mickey" and "I wanna be your boyfriend" Totally messed up

omg that is so stupid. just because they both say hey hey you you i wanna be your boyfriend/girlfriend. Like, hey hey you you can be used by others coz NOBODY owns words. like if i were to write a song then sing it and it had the words hey hey you you, it would be stupid to sue me. stupid.

Wow it does sound a like. O.O Though I really can't say if they are right or not.

I don't like Avril Lavigne or any of her songs.

They sound similar. It's not alot but I'm positive it's enough.

It's almost exactly alike! In my mind she deserves to get sued. ( lol this might be because I also strongly dislike her :D :D )

How could she ever copy a song like that? I mean thats a 70's band. Thats all peaceful and quiet. But this is 2007. She is punk. And her song is loud and punk. I like Avril Lavigne and all her songs. But they can't sue her for thinking she copied a hey hey you you part of their song. What if she didn't even listen to that song. What if the hey hey you you part just popped into her head and she decided to write a song?

People are just overreacting.

SM

Songs do not have to be the same style to be alike. What if she didn't even listen to that song. What if the hey hey you you part just popped into her head and she decided to write a song?
I like Avril Lavigne and all her songs. But they can't sue her for thinking she copied a hey hey you you part of their song. What if she didn't even listen to that song.
Number one: Please compare "under pressure" with "vanilla ice." Songs do not have to be the same style to be alike. What if she didn't listen to it? What if the similarities are too great?

Here's an example. Please look at the two images below:

https://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57607508/

https://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52846366/

The first one done by me, the second done a while ago by H-72 on DA. Can you really say that I didn't copy the pose and it's just a coincidence? Of course it isn't, I credited her. But What if I didn't, and she called it out on me? There would be a huge flame war on if I did or didn't, and it would be pretty much my supporters vs her supporters, and of course I would win because I have a lot more.

Isn't that whats going on right now? (You know.. except with money involved. That seems to make things more complicated..)

Number two: These two sentences probably shouldn't be next to each other. Your bias is more obvious then before, mkay? :lol:

I listened to the songs again and I think they are overreacting. A lot of people say hey you in their songs and Avril really might not have heard that song before. It's from the '70s. The tunes aren't the same either.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the judge says. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back