Babysitting

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supertamatchi

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I'm going 2 start babysitting my next door neighbors, i was wondering what i should charge. my next door neighbor is doing it with me. should we charge induvidually or together?[/SIZE]

That's very unreasonable, and some people can't afford something that ridiculous.

I suggest talking with the parents of the kids you'll be watching, to come up with a fair reasonable rate or flat fee to be paid that'll work for you and it'll work for them. If you go with a rate, $7 an hour per child seems reasonable to me, or a flat rate of $10-20 per babysitting visit, depending on how long you're there and what's required of you.

The going rate for under the table babysitting (where a kid just babysits and gets paid cash, no monthly paychecks or paperwork) is 5 bucks an hour for up to 3 kids. IF there is a baby, then the rate jumps 2 bucks per baby. So say there is 1 baby and 2 children, then it would be 7 bucks. Babies are children under 3.

That is just around here though. 7 years ago I got paid 5 bucks an hour to watch 3 kids every day during the summer, made a killing off it too. But for some reason, the rate hasnt gone up in years. My mother in law just got done with a month of babysitting a 9 month old and she got paid 2 bucks an hour....which is horrible.

EDIT:: Really it is something you need to sit down and talk with the parents about. They may be on a lower income bracket and cant afford much, and it all depends on how many kids there are, and you said you have another person helping you, so your cut may be cheaper. And your best bet (if the parents are ok with it) is to get paid seperately. That way the parents dont give one of you the money to split amongst yourselves and one decides they did more work than the other and should get more. So yeah, sit down with them and talk to them about it. They wont freak out cause you want to talk about money, they understand that babysitting is not free and are probably expecting this talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know lots of people think different things but I believe that for someone aged 14 or under it should be $3.50 an hour and for someone 15 - 21 it should be $7 an hour. That is if you have one child to babysit.

If there is two of you, you do not double your price. Say you are both 12 - 14, you round double the price to the nearest $5 or $10, so if you were both 14 or under it would be $5. If you were both 15 - 21 it would be $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back