Candy Swap Results!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteClaw84

Reaction score
So, I received the candy from neonmoo! We swapped with each other (she is in the UK and I'm in the US). With the holidays I was held up in creating this thread sooner so my apologies. I wanted to weigh in on what I thought of candy from the UK and hopefully neonmoo will post her thoughts on the US candies :)

First of all....you UK folks are right :s your Cadbury chocolate is pretty freaking awesome. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chocolate that neonmoo included. The flake bar was really interesting and delicious as well as the fudge bar and the small Cadbury candies included in the Rose box. I have decimated the chocolate :) I didn't find any chocolate that I did not enjoy. The crunchie bar was great too! Oh Malteasers are 120839102389021389201832019 times better than our Whoppers. In fact Whoppers are embarrassing compared to Malteasers.

However, I think that our M&M's are better than the UK Smarties.

The difference between UK chocolate and US chocolate...I noticed that the chocolate from the UK stated "No artificial....etc..." it made me really think about what they put in our US candy and chocolate. Our chocolate does taste artificial when you compare it to the UK chocolate. I felt that UK chocolate was creamier and had a richer taste to it!

I'm starting to get into the hard candies and jelly candies now. I have to say that the no artificial situation is great but when it comes to some of the jelly candies I feel that they taste a bit odd. For some reason one of the jelly candies (Jelly tots) has a dark purple jelly (licorice maybe?) and it tastes like the smell of cat pee :( (I'm not trying to offend anyone...just giving honest opinion). HOWEVER, the other jelly tots flavors are amazing. They taste like real jelly you would scoop out of a jar! A lot of the gummy/jelly candies taste wonderful with the use of the real fruit juices. However, I think I'm going to lean on the side of the US on the gummy/jelly candies. Sadly, I prefer the taste of the artificial flavors probably because I'm so accustomed to them. I drink fruit juice etc...but even our juice has artificial flavoring! However, the gummy/jelly candies aren't bad and I've actually been enjoying them. Haribo, is my favorite so far :) I especially liked the cola themed ones. Those were so good. They almost reminded me of Sour Patch Kids (US sour gummy candy) but of course, the Haribo cola weren't sour.

Licorice...Neonmoo sent a good amount of it :) I didn't tell her I hated licorice because I wanted to give a chance since it is coming from another country. I know that US licorice is probably the worst in the world. It's majorly artificial. When you say licorice many people think of Twizzlers which couldn't be further from true licorice. Other licorice you find in the states tends to be really bitter or overwhelming. I was actually pleased when I got licorice in the box she sent! I tried the AllSorts and I have to say I like them. In fact, it took me a minute to realize that it was licorice. Licorice from the UK has a sweeter taste to it making it more bearable than the harsh licorice you get in the states. Even the black licorice was excellent. My mom hates licorice and she was visiting for the holidays, I offered her an AllSort telling her it was just candy and she didn't even realize it was licorice and she liked it!!

Violet candy: Neonmoo sent a roll of violet candy. It's lightly violet perfumed hard candy. Flower flavored or smelling candy here in the states is non-existent so this was very unusual to me. I know a few other countries have flower flavored candy but can't tell you a single candy here in the US that uses flower perfume or flavoring! I figured I would have a hard time with it. It smelled like soap. I gave it a try but honestly...no matter how much I tried to think of other things I couldn't get over the thought in my head that I was eating soap =x. I gave one to my husband and my mom. My mom liked it till I mentioned the soap thing...and my husband thought of soap immediately without me saying anything. I think it's a love or hate kind of candy possibly even in the UK.

Well that's all I have tried so far. I'm taking the candies slow because I don't want to gain a thousand pounds and because I want to enjoy it :) I'll update when I taste more treats!

Oh...I absolutely LOVE the serving sizes in the UK. A candy bar in the UK is half the size of a candy bar in the US and that is what it should be. Our candy servings here in the US are too big. I noticed on a lot of candies and chocolate bars that calories were roughly 100 - 150. That's perfect. Here in the US a standard candy bar is upwards of 250 calories. I hate how over sized our servings can be. I found that eating the smaller UK candy bar was just as satisfying as eating a regular candy bar here in the US. Also, for some reason I feel like the nutritional info displayed on the UK candies was much easier to read and understand and I also liked how on some candies it showed an adult recommended serving and a child recommended serving! I hope someday the US will catch on :) and start doing something similar here.

Great review - and you're right about the Parma violets - very much a "love it/hate it" thang :p

I've been munching on miniature Reeses Peanut Butter cups recently (brought back from the USA by a colleague) and I really like the contrast in taste - sweet chocolate with salted peanuts :p - that's something we don't really experience much with UK confectionery

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a some what different approach to my box of wonderful sweets.

file.jpg

I began by comparing the sweets/snacks that were the same in the UK.

KitKat

file-3.jpg

Top: US. Bottom: UK

US: Made by Hersheys (under licence)

UK: Made by Nestle

No. of bars

US: 8 (counts as 2 servings)

UK: 4 (counts as one)

Flavour:

US: slightly chewy wafer, darker chocolate layers, tastes artificial

UK: sweet, crunchy

Calories per serving:

US: 210

UK: 233

Twix

file-6.jpg

Top: US. Bottom: UK

Made by:

US: Mars (New Jersey USA)

UK: Mars (Nederlans B.V.)

Weight

US: 50.7g

Uk: 58g

No. of bars

Same

Calories (per packet):

US: 250

UK: 288

Pringles

file-8.jpg

Top: UK. Bottom: US

Tube size:

UK tube is a little bit shorter both are same width.

Crisp size:

UK crisp its little bit bigger all round.

Crunch:

UK fells thicker and crunchier where as the US one is much lighter.

Weight:

US: 181

UK: 190

Calories:

US: 900

UK: 970.9

When done gram for gram UK has 30ish more calories per tube

I was surprised to find that the UK KitKat and Pringles had more calories gram for gram than the US. I preferred the US Pringles over the UK, well in the texture department, I wasn't too keen on the pizza flavour. KitKat I prefer the UK I find the US one seem's to have a fatty/greasy texture to the chocolate and I didn't like the texture of the wafer. I havent tried the Twix yet but I think it might be very similar.

Now for the rest of the sweets I tried that wernt available in the UK.

Junior Mint I absolutely love they were the first things I tryed out the box and I've been trying to save them they are very yummy. A bit like After 8's but the mint bit is softer and they are a different size. Im a bit apprehensive about trying the liquorice as I think UK liquorice is gross so if the US stuff is worse erm... . I like the sour cubes the are pretty coloured and not as sour as expected. The milk duds are pretty addictive, I LOVE the jolly rancher sweets they are in my car atm I had one of the blueberry ones on the way to work and my tongue was blue for the whole of my shift :D . The bottle caps are weird you can sometimes find them here but completely different, here they are 3 times the size, come in tubes and are a boiled sweet so more like the jolly ranchers but fizzy think I prefer the UK ones the US ones get sickly quite quickly.

I think thats all I've got into so far theres been soo much sweets this christmas

OMG!!!!!! I just ate the 3 musketeers bar and it was FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! now I want another one :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for the rest of the sweets I tried that wernt available in the UK.

Junior Mint I absolutely love they were the first things I tryed out the box and I've been trying to save them they are very yummy. A bit like After 8's but the mint bit is softer and they are a different size. Im a bit apprehensive about trying the liquorice as I think UK liquorice is gross so if the US stuff is worse erm... . I like the sour cubes the are pretty coloured and not as sour as expected. The milk duds are pretty addictive, I LOVE the jolly rancher sweets they are in my car atm I had one of the blueberry ones on the way to work and my tongue was blue for the whole of my shift :D . The bottle caps are weird you can sometimes find them here but completely different, here they are 3 times the size, come in tubes and are a boiled sweet so more like the jolly ranchers but fizzy think I prefer the UK ones the US ones get sickly quite quickly.

I think thats all I've got into so far theres been soo much sweets this christmas

OMG!!!!!! I just ate the 3 musketeers bar and it was FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! now I want another one :(
Sorry it took a while to respond :) LOVE your response and comparison of the candy....and yes Musketeers are in fact amazing.

I'm seriously planning on buying some flake bars, malteasers, curly wurly etc....off amazon soon because I've become addicted to ya'll's chocolate :s

Has anyone gotten the chance to compare the UK's Texas flavoured chips in comparison to that of the US'? I find that the UK's is a bit "off"... Like what people come to Texas expecting in BBQ. They taste really artificial compared to the US BBQ Chips.

I am STILL making my way through the box, and still havent had the courage to open the liquorice lol. I did manage to find some of the sweets in an old sweet shop neer me that also sells american sweets but its soooo expensive :( I managed to get my self a 3 musketeers bar but it was £3.20 ($4.81) so I probably wont be buying anymore over here :'( I managed to find the Jolly Ranchers here as well in that shop but they were £4.70 ($7.06) and thats a mental price :( just going to have boring English sweets in my car now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back