Chocolate lovers, put ur money where ur mouth is!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kkoolbear101

Reaction score
Child slaves in other countries are being kiddnapped and put to work (12 hours a day) to pick cocoa beans!(cocoa beans are used to make chocolate) they are paid very little (normally 25 cents a day) and treated terribly! they are given bad water, bad food and live bad lives. most kids working have never been to school. How sad. Our country is buying ALL that cocoa! they are not paying the farmers enough. please help this cause, by not buying very much chocolate, or buying FAIR TRADE chocolate. To learn more google "Fair trade chocolate program" and browse around unitll you find one good enough. thank you very much for reading this and i hope you help. :( :) :wacko:

Child slaves in other countries are being kiddnapped and put to work (12 hours a day) to pick cocoa beans!(cocoa beans are used to make chocolate) they are paid very little (normally 25 cents a day) and treated terribly! they are given bad water, bad food and live bad lives. most kids working have never been to school. How sad. Our country is buying ALL that cocoa! they are not paying the farmers enough. please help this cause, by not buying very much chocolate, or buying FAIR TRADE chocolate. To learn more google "Fair trade chocolate program" and browse around unitll you find one good enough. thank you very much for reading this and i hope you help. :( :) :wacko:
Yeah I know, I know. It's so unfair it should be banned, I'll buy fair trade from now on wards and this should be on Seriously (non) tamatalk.

Thats Disgusting And Wrong

But I Don't Eat Alot Of Chocolate, Just Once In A While

(Are These Topics Allowed?)

I agree with Sweet Kandi....I realise this is wrong, and its sick and disgusting, but forcing us to eat some other kinda chocolate because you want us to isent right.

Besides, I go haywire if I havent had chocolate XD

I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to do anything here on TamaTalk .... so let's keep this calm :huh:

I can see kkoolbear101 feel strongly about this and I sympathise.

But there's a lot more to think about than just buying Fair Trade chocolate or reducing the amount of chocolate you eat.

Child 'Slavery' sadly, exists in many countries. Children do work in appalling conditions to manufacture goods for "the Western consumer" - but if they are being paid, then they are not slaves.

They are employees trying to make a living and bring home some money to help feed their families.

If we all reduced the amount of chocolate we bought, think about how many children would lose those precious jobs?

Many of them have never been to school because in their country, education is not a right or free, it's a privilege. Many of them are working because the employment laws are different in other countries.

Many of them are there because it is their responsibility to help feed their families.

It's not limited to chocolate - there are many examples you can find, not just "Fair Trade food stuffs". Designer brands - Reebok, Nike and others have all used manufacturers to produce their $150+ trainers and some are sourced from factories where children are employed.

As long as Western consumers insist on getting the "best deal" for their coffee, tea, chocolate, sneakers, t-shirts, (the list goes on and on), then the people who go out and negotiate with those farmers or suppliers for their goods will continue to be paid less than is fair. Those farmers and suppliers will, in turn, be forced to employ the cheapest labour they can find.

25 cents may seem like nothing to you, but monetary values are different in other countries and that money can mean the difference between buying a family meal or nothing to eat.

It's a sad fact, but you can't ask people to change their buying habits (and in this case, taste preferences) based on what you've read on a web site.

It's a decision they have to make for themselves.

I think if you care a lot about this, it is worth researching wider and finding out more about what your country (and many other western countries) are doing when they negotiate Trade agreements with certain countries and refuse to trade with others.

They try to get the best deal for their country (naturally), and protect their own farmers and their own locally produced crops from imported goods at cheaper prices.

It's a problem that isn't going to go away for a long time unfortunately.

Yep, I could not have said it better.

Be sure to read TamaMum's post. That is the plain old truth.

*agrees with TM*

If they get paid for getting it and they you boycott it and no one buys it, they don't get paid which would make everything even worse.

Plus, not all chocolate comes from these sorts of places.

Child slaves in other countries are being kiddnapped and put to work (12 hours a day) to pick cocoa beans!(cocoa beans are used to make chocolate) they are paid very little (normally 25 cents a day) and treated terribly! they are given bad water, bad food and live bad lives. most kids working have never been to school. How sad.
I know. Its seems so unfair :p :p :(

Thank goodness for Fairtrade:D :D

My school sells a lot of fair trade chocolate from time to time.

:D TamagotchiGirl2007 :D

P.S:tamatalker101, You could try buying fairtrade choc for your 'daily fix' .

It tastes great. :D

I would actually like to know where fair trade chocolate is!

They have been slaving people for years, don't be surprised if you see someone doing it right now.

It is more likely to recall seeing something I call "Child Labour" in poorer countries than I could ever imagine.

Some kids are working because they were kidnapped, and some kids are doing it because their families need money.

I'm not really sure if there is a way to stop it, since the reasons go both ways around.

One things for sure, if you can stop child labour, you can stop child labour.

*LoVeLy.SwAn.23* :D

I will eat as much chocolate as I wish, thank you very much.

It is sad that these kids have to work for so little and get treated so poorly, but we can't really do much to help.

I know. Its seems so unfair :( :angry: :( Thank goodness for Fairtrade:D :)

My school sells a lot of fair trade chocolate from time to time.

:( TamagotchiGirl2007 :furawatchi:

P.S:tamatalker101, You could try buying fairtrade choc for your 'daily fix' .

It tastes great. :)
mmmm... Sounds yummy :)

I'm quite happy with my regular chocolate. :| Thanks.
Amen.

I mean, yeah its bad and all, but not very many people are going to go on and change their chocolate cravings for some child slaves, since they think it doesn't effect them.

Broken~Wings

If we stopped buying chocolate or just bought fairtrade, those children could be out of a job. I do agree that it's sad for them to do that, but they have to. if they didn't, they could die. Fairtrade tastes exactly the same, my school sold it on RND 07, it was good. Anyway, we can't really do anything, we're only a few of the billions of people in the world.

I'm 100% against this.

The reality is, how is a website going to stop them? Who are they going to listen to?

I'll keep my regular chocolate...

I'm quite happy with my regular chocolate. :| Thanks.
Agreed, I'll keep my Kitkats.

But I also couldn't agree with Tamamum more.

Yes, if you stop buying chocolate or just fair-trade, those children will lose their jobs and not earn any money, their families will just be even more poor. And 25 cents could be alot more in another country than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back