Cyberbullying

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdbot

Reaction score
Cyberbullying is a serious manner.

While technology has brought us many wonderful things, our heavy dependence of the internet for communication has brought us another outlet for bullying.

Before we begin our discussion: What exactly is Cyberbullying? Many sources reference that cyberbullying is when someone uses digital technologies to harass, threaten, or humiliate others. These actions can inflect serious harm, and can lead to feelings of embarrassment and hurt feelings.

Cyberbullying can be produce in many different mediums, whether it is the internet, e-mail, text messages, online forums, social networking, and others. It is not as simple as blocking users on the internet. Although most online communication can be traced, that doesn't stop people from sending anonymous messages. Those words said online cannot be erased immediately. You can control your own content and your own posts, but it is a process to remove someone else's. While sometimes they can be removed, they can be imprinted in someone's memory for a very long time.

These hurtful messages have such a major impact on people. They can feel anxiety, anger and hurt from those direct messages. Sometimes, youth refuse to tell their parents about these pressing issues out of shame and fear of losing their privilege in using technology. Cyberbullying can occur anywhere, and the effects can be lifechanging.

What is your impression on cyberbullying? Do you think it is serious?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think cyber-bullying can be serious. I've been cyber-bullied, although nobody stopped it since it was all on unmoderated sites I'm not even on, so nothing could be done about it. For me it didn't get that bad and it was my fault anyway, but in other cases it can probably get really bad.

Sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr should be somehow moderated in my opinion. Cyber-bullying can happen there and nothing is done about it until it's got bad enough for the victim to report it. I didn't report it, but I would've if they'd made it clear whether anyone was going to listen.

I somehow feel addressed, because I'm quite open in serious topics, such as abortion, homosexuality, ...

So I will mention to all, who may have been hurt by my views: I do not hate these people, because all people sin. Everyone does something wrong, and I don't hate you for that. I may disagree with what you do and believe it may be hard, but do not think it impossible to change.

But really (cyber)BULLYING, like bothering and stuff. I am 200% against it. ;)

I somehow feel addressed, because I'm quite open in serious topics, such as abortion, homosexuality, ...

So I will mention to all, who may have been hurt by my views: I do not hate these people, because all people sin. Everyone does something wrong, and I don't hate you for that. I may disagree with what you do and believe it may be hard, but do not think it impossible to change.

But really (cyber)BULLYING, like bothering and stuff. I am 200% against it. ;)
Stefan, this was in no way address to you! And I apologize if this topic came out that way to you.

Cyberbullying is indeed a serious issue, and I'm glad to see that people do believe that it DOES exist. Awareness is key!

I've shared my opinion on this before, but I'll do it again.

As said before, how is cyberbullying even real? Fine. Maybe anonymous messages can't be blocked on all websites. But if you really don't like how someone is talking to you over the internet, don't go on that website. It's as simple as that, yet people sit around and feel sorry for themselves over a message or a post. Don't want to stop visiting that website? Make a new account, and don't share it with people that are not close friends. If you've honestly rather have people "bully" you than tell your parents or someone 'cause you're scared you might lose privileges, then you might want to think about what's worse between the two. Also, I know for a fact you can block numbers from people that send stuff to you via texting. Sure, I've had people insult me over the internet, but I honestly just block them. Simple as that.

If you honestly feel bad over what someone said over the internet, you need to realize that their are people out there who have no place to live, or nothing to eat that would love to have your life. At least if they were you they would have a roof over their head, and would be able to use the internet. Kids nowadays are absolutely spoiled, in my opinion.

I'm sorry if I come off as a cruel or bad person, but that's my opinion.

Oh, and referring to the thread from last night, my self esteem honestly isn't too high, but I still don't let words or text bother me. That's somewhat off topic, though, so I'll end my post here.

As said before, how is cyberbullying even real? Fine. Maybe anonymous messages can't be blocked on all websites. But if you really don't like how someone is talking to you over the internet, don't go on that website. It's as simple as that, yet people sit around and feel sorry for themselves over a message or a post. Don't want to stop visiting that website? Make a new account, and don't share it with people that are not close friends. If you've honestly rather have people "bully" you than tell your parents or someone 'cause you're scared you might lose privileges, then you might want to think about what's worse between the two. Also, I know for a fact you can block numbers from people that send stuff to you via texting.

If you honestly feel bad over what someone said over the internet, you need to realize that their are people out there who have no place to live, or nothing to eat that would love to have your life. At least if they were you they would have a roof over their head, and would be able to use the internet. Kids nowadays are absolutely spoiled, in my opinion.

I'm sorry if I come off as a cruel or bad person, but that's my opinion.
You don't think that cyberbullying is real, hey? With so many emerging technologies that allow people to connect with each other more easier, bullying outside of schools is becoming much more of an issue. Parents, teachers and other adults can find it difficult to track down, unless the victim is vocal about it. While there are signs that a child is being bullied, you can only make inferences about what a child is going through to confirm your suspicions unless you directly talk to that child. Some people don't readily admit that they have a problem either, and they have their own reasons for that. Cyberbullying is not as tangible as direct bullying, which can be more physical or verbal.

I think you forget that things that are said online can transfer over to real life. Things can be spread like wildfire, and once it's on the internet, some things can be very difficult to remove. Once a rumour transitions from the internet to personal life, it can be very difficult to ignore. People are very social beings - words can spread around so fast. While making a new account and/or blocking may be a temporary solution, that doesn't stop the bullying. A bully isn't going to stop, and the rumours can still be spread just as easily. It is not that simple.

As wonderful as some parents are, unfortunately sometimes they may not even grasp the concept of cyberbullying, and therefore, blame the victim for their actions. The same cannot be said for every parent, but these cases still exist.

Sure, you can say that kids are spoiled nowadays, and that there are bigger issues in life. I can't deny that there are some people who are less fortunate than others, but that doesn't erase the problems that people face. Knowing that someone is less fortunate than you does not change a thing about your own problems in life. Everybody has their own issues - not everyone is living in smiles and sunshines.

Unfortunately, there are several real life instances where cyberbullying has taken the lives of some. I understand that these cases are quite extreme, but any situation can escalate to that point. Take the case of Amanda Todd. If you are unfamiliar with it, catch up here.

You cannot deny cyberbullying and its implications in our society.

You bring up decent points, but We both have our own opinion. I guess I just deal with stuff differently.

Have a great day.

Sure, I've had people insult me over the internet, but I honestly just block them. Simple as that.
Yes. Unless it's physical harm, it can be ignored. If you feel bad about it, well, why? There's no reason to feel bad about what a "cyberbully" says, and if what they say affects you, it shouldn't, because it's just words.

It's like getting upset over a spambot.

Yes. Unless it's physical harm, it can be ignored. If you feel bad about it, well, why? There's no reason to feel bad about what a "cyberbully" says, and if what they say affects you, it shouldn't, because it's just words.

It's like getting upset over a spambot.
I'm very glad that you can overlook some words that people say to you. I can definitely see your point, but we cannot speak for ourselves. It's like telling someone to "get over something". That is easier said than done.

Unfortunately, there are others who cannot simply ignore words. That is where it is a concern. There are some sensitive people in the world, and how they react is out of your control. Sometimes what people say online translates to something in real life too, so it's hard to say. The best thing to do is support someone if they are getting harassed over the internet.

Unfortunately, there are others who cannot simply ignore words. That is where it is a concern. There are some sensitive people in the world, and how they react is out of your control.
Oh...well...I suppose that makes sense. But I'm not like that, and neither I hope are my friends. :) But I understand there are people who seem to over-react... :<

I have said it once, I shall say it again.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones,

But names will scar me and make me feel less and less about myself until breaking point"

I have said it once, I shall say it again.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones,

But names will scar me and make me feel less and less about myself until breaking point"
No, that's not right.

It's "...but words will never hurt me." Or names.

Words always hurt, regardless of how tough you may be, and negative words from friends, family, or a loving partner sting the worse as they know how to get to you by using what you love against you. They know your secrets and who you really are and can blackmail you with it. I've had it done before and no matter what your resolve, it still hurts.

Online I am bullied a lot in games if I use my mic. I am female but have a lower pitch voice and am commonly mistaken for an early teen male. For this I am usually picked on, kicked, or even banned from servers for the reason of being 'too young' or 'a noob.' When i try to say i am female, either I am not believed or I am told to send dirty pictures to them. At one point I was a mod for a group and a server in one online game, but when another female was taken in as a mod, because she was more feminine and actually lived by some of the other mods and went out with them (and I think is dating the admin now) she superseded me in mod powers and actually became the 'mascot' despite the fact I did my job and did it well, taking it very seriously. My mod powers ended up being nothing more than 'autokick immunity' instead of having the ability to mute people, kick, etc. I ended up leaving that group and removing everyone off my friends list because of how shallow they were. (Mostly all males except just that one other girl.)

Online it's so easy to be mean, a flaky person, a liar. I've been lied to and used many many times over the years, and made fun of as well. In person it's been rare but mostly been by males older than me who should know better but because I look so young (I'm getting close to 30 soon enough but look like I'm still in high school) that they think they can boss me around and tell me off and that they're always right. It's rare, but it still happens. I think I only have 3 real friends I have met online and seen 2 of them in person--really good people, I got lucky meeting them. In person I only have 2 good friends. But I am happy with them, even if they drive me crazy. :p

Cyberbullying is very, very real. And it does hurt at least as much as in-person bullying; it happened to me to some extent when I was little. And being little, I couldn't just shake it off the way I can today. I guess this kind of calls for storytime . . .

As a younger kid, I was super critical of people. I was certainly not a bully, but I was also not very nice to people, I didn't trust people much, and I had a lot of trouble connecting with most other kids (though I did have a few friends who were there for me and wouldn't get upset with me). You'd probably call me a "grammar Nazi" since I corrected everything someone said or wrote if it wasn't spelled correctly or had the wrong grammar or pronunciation. I did this pretty much indiscriminately, and I got really mad at people whenever I was correcting them. (I understand now that this annoyed people, and I'm starting to think I might have had a true psychological issue back then.)

This was probably in fourth grade the most. In fifth grade I calmed down a lot and started having a lot more friends and I talked with them about everything (though I was going through some family problems at the time so I was still a very angry little kid).

But anyway, I always corrected this one girl in class who used improper grammar, (let's call her Mary) because it was just what I did, and I thought I was doing a good thing. Mary became really angry with me, and somehow got my email address. I checked my email one morning on my mother's computer, and found a message from an address I didn't recognize. I opened it up and it was a very angry email from her, deliberately using bad grammar and saying, essentially, "Don't correct me, you're a really mean kid." What she said was probably true and not meant to be totally spiteful, but at that moment, as a socially awkward 9-year-old, I read that message, took it as cyberbullying, and felt like the worst person in the world. I never told anyone about it, but that was when I realized she was judging me for something I honestly couldn't control.

As I got older, I gradually became a lot less critical. All through middle school, I still had trouble connecting with other people, but I'm happy to say that the experience of being bullied (I was bullied as a younger kid as well) helped me learn to have thicker skin. Now in high school I realize I've come a long way, I'm still kind of shy and quiet but I've got real, true friends who like me for who I am, and I've taught myself how to accept and forgive almost everyone.

Moral of the story: It's not okay to cyberbully anyone, and it's also not okay to be mean to the people who are not nice to you since they often don't realize how mean they're acting. If you are trying to help others change what they're doing, you need to be really careful since they'll often take your advice the wrong way.

That's what teachers and parents say. It isn't true.
Yes it is, it can be true. So what if someone online says you're a horrible person? It doesn't mean anything. Would someone really worry about trivial stuff like that? If the "cyberbully" succeeds in making you feel bad, they are getting exactly what they want.

They're just words, the bully wants the words to make you feel bad, for the sake of hurting you. Why let them do that?

Ignore trolls, ignore bullies (unless it's physical harm in real life; that's different), do not let them get what they want. Remember, what they say has only one purpose - to "win" by making you think less of yourself. Don't let them do that. If you're nice, then you should be happy no matter what someone else thinks. :) Self-esteem cannot be affected by empty insults. <3

Well, I'm your friend and I am "like that" (I can get upset over people saying mean stuff online). :p
Well...try not to worry. You don't take it too seriously, and be happy. ^_^

I think Cyberbullying isn't something that needs to be taken as seriously as real-life bullying. There's a big difference~

In real life, bullies are more dangerous. They can follow you, they can hurt you, and yet you still need to go to school...but you dread it because of the bullies. They can make fun of your appearance, lack of skills as certain subjects, etc...but "cyberbullies" don't know you in that way. They most likely have no idea how short you are or how bad you are at maths.. so what real harm can they do? People who call you names don't even KNOW you. There is no meaning behind what they say; they're just saying it for the sake of it, just choosing a random innocent person online and dishing out whatever insults they can come up with.

Hey. You are a useless pest! (Joking) And hey, I don't even know who's reading this, haha. :p

Online, bullies are little more than a nuisance in my opinion. I used to cry when people purposely said bad things about Mametchi, but nowadays when people call me names and swear at me I find myself laughing. They're just words. They're INTENDED to be hurtful, but people should do their best to ignore them. Just close the tab, and POOF! The words are gone. You don't have to worry about the bully trying to trap you or harm you because they're probably miles and miles away and there's nothing they can do through a computer screen. They can be quite insulting at times but not scary and intimidating, like real bullies. Just go to another site, play some fun games to forget about it.

I think children should be educated about cyber bullying, and how to ignore it, instead of letting them get affected by bored bozos online who want to "bully" to pass the time. That way we can focus on more serious issues such as students harming each other (for REAL) at school.

Yes it is, it can be true. So what if someone online says you're a horrible person? It doesn't mean anything. Would someone really worry about trivial stuff like that? If the "cyberbully" succeeds in making you feel bad, they are getting exactly what they want.

They're just words, the bully wants the words to make you feel bad, for the sake of hurting you. Why let them do that?

Ignore trolls, ignore bullies (unless it's physical harm in real life; that's different), do not let them get what they want. Remember, what they say has only one purpose - to "win" by making you think less of yourself. Don't let them do that. If you're nice, then you should be happy no matter what someone else thinks. :) Self-esteem cannot be affected by empty insults. <3

Well...try not to worry. You don't take it too seriously, and be happy. ^_^

I think Cyberbullying isn't something that needs to be taken as seriously as real-life bullying. There's a big difference~

In real life, bullies are more dangerous. They can follow you, they can hurt you, and yet you still need to go to school...but you dread it because of the bullies. They can make fun of your appearance, lack of skills as certain subjects, etc...but "cyberbullies" don't know you in that way. They most likely have no idea how short you are or how bad you are at maths.. so what real harm can they do? People who call you names don't even KNOW you. There is no meaning behind what they say; they're just saying it for the sake of it, just choosing a random innocent person online and dishing out whatever insults they can come up with.

Hey. You are a useless pest! (Joking) And hey, I don't even know who's reading this, haha. :p

Online, bullies are little more than a nuisance in my opinion. I used to cry when people purposely said bad things about Mametchi, but nowadays when people call me names and swear at me I find myself laughing. They're just words. They're INTENDED to be hurtful, but people should do their best to ignore them. Just close the tab, and POOF! The words are gone. You don't have to worry about the bully trying to trap you or harm you because they're probably miles and miles away and there's nothing they can do through a computer screen. They can be quite insulting at times but not scary and intimidating, like real bullies. Just go to another site, play some fun games to forget about it.

I think children should be educated about cyber bullying, and how to ignore it, instead of letting them get affected by bored bozos online who want to "bully" to pass the time. That way we can focus on more serious issues such as students harming each other (for REAL) at school.
Some people can ignore cyber-bullying, some people can't. They know it's what the bullies want, and they know some people can ignore it, but they can't. It's like some people can ignore real life bullying, some can't. I have no problem with real life bullying but I get upset by cyber-bullying. I can't change that. What needs to change is the bullies, not the victim.

The problem is that the bullies in general will always stay. One may change, but a miracle isn't going to happen.

So therefore the only plausible solution is to work on the victims, by trying to explain them that it isn't so bad, and that they should just ignore it.

Some people don't realize this and really are hurt by it, I'm sure. So by making statements such as EMF's and Doomer they may see how little they should be affected by it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back