Did you even relize...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SailorRosette

Reaction score
I was looking up Japan's Earthquake again for the 47th time today... Maybe even more. Since Im trying to stay up to date with it.. I found this website.

Earthquakes Around the World

It shows every earthquake that has happened recently... Did you guys feel those? Did you know they were going on? Its not just Japan, there are Earthquakes everywhere. Maybe you thought you felt one and were crazy... Maybe not so when you look at this.

BTW, the site has many other things to look at as well. Its beyond creepy in my eyes....

You do realise Japan isn't the only place to have experienced major earthquakes recently, right?

In September 2010 Christchurch had a 7.1 earthquake which destroyed lots.

Less than a month ago, in February, they had a 6.3 which was very shallow and violent which did waaaay more damage than the first on and flattened half the city.

They are experiencing aftershocks (Same as earthquakes) every day, in multiples.

Since I live in Christchurch I do know about lots of earthquakes.

https://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Select 'sticky dots' under display options. Look to the right, see how many quakes there are. Just watch it for a bit. It's scary. 648 since Feb the 22nd. It's March 17th, not even a month, look at how many dots there are. And so spread around too.

Hundreds of earthquakes occur daily, most of them are quite deep or low in magnitude and therefore are not felt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm highly aware of the others. I feel for everyone who has had a major quake.

I just thought it would be interesting to others who are focused on Japan to see more of what is going on.

Wow... Thats incredible. What you shared. Are you still having them? It looks like you guys are having them, smaller but still shaking...

I just didn't notice how often the general world has earthquakes and how often. Ring of Fire is very active. Regardless the size or not... Nobody seems to mention some of the larger ones. There are some in the Ring of Fire of good size that I haven't heard mentioned... Its just so earie to know how many people really miss. (Or feel because of how small they are)

^ Yes, we are still grieving for Canterbury here in NZ. The 2010 one left only injuries, yet this year's one, around 160 are dead. And we're quite a small country too.

And it may take around 15 years to rebuild.

Thanks for that website as well :)

My love is with Christchurch and Japan :]

* Straightens Tie *

Nah. Earthquakes are the last thing we need to worry about.

You can't feel earthquakes that are below 3.0 magnitude. Even then, a lot of people won't feel them if they're small because small earthquakes usually aren't noticeable unless you're inside a house and awake. There aren't too many big earthquakes a year that cause severe damage, which is why you haven't heard about there being a lot of earthquakes. Smaller ones that just break windows/make small things in the house fall over/don't do anything at all are way too common to be reported on worldwide news networks.

I figured 3.0 magnitudes you don't really feel unless you have awesome sensories... I was just shocked to how much more Earthquakes are around then I thought.

Your welcome for the site. Just randomly came across it in my search....

Given, I'm in Michigan... I haven't never had one. Not to my knowledge....

We get alot of earthquakes that are around 2.0 magnitude here (usually a little higher though), and if you're paying attention sometimes you can feel them. I live about 1 hour and a half from Charleston and there's a fault line close enough to it so yeah. When the 2003 or 2004 Tsunami (my memory on the year is a little shaky, but it happened in the Indian Ocean) hit we just happened to be doing a unit on Earth Science in school and we learned all about what happened there and which cities are earthquake prone inside the ring of fire and outside of it and how often they actually occur.

Oh! And did you all also know that animals can sense earthquakes hours before we can??? Kinda cool that they can :)

My thoughts are with Japan and I hope that them and any other victims from these earthquakes and tsunamis are well and can rebuild.

We get alot of earthquakes that are around 2.0 magnitude here (usually a little higher though), and if you're paying attention sometimes you can feel them. I live about 1 hour and a half from Charleston and there's a fault line close enough to it so yeah. When the 2003 or 2004 Tsunami (my memory on the year is a little shaky, but it happened in the Indian Ocean) hit we just happened to be doing a unit on Earth Science in school and we learned all about what happened there and which cities are earthquake prone inside the ring of fire and outside of it and how often they actually occur.

Oh! And did you all also know that animals can sense earthquakes hours before we can??? Kinda cool that they can :)

My thoughts are with Japan and I hope that them and any other victims from these earthquakes and tsunamis are well and can rebuild.
Sorry... Where directly do you live? I'm not 100% sure. California? There are tons of little baby earthquakes right there........

Ya, the animals thing is interesting.

Humm, I wonder if my parents felt any when they went to Cali..... They I'm sure wouldn't tell me.

Sorry... Where directly do you live? I'm not 100% sure. California? There are tons of little baby earthquakes right there........

Ya, the animals thing is interesting.

Humm, I wonder if my parents felt any when they went to Cali..... They I'm sure wouldn't tell me.
I live in South Carolina, I know that it's not on the west coast, but we still have them over here and they're not reported.

Wow...I'm really spooked now. I have gathered rumours and stuff together about earthquakes for the past two weeks.

My mum (Seriosly, I can hear myself, I speak too much of my mum) says that most/every country on Earth will have a big earthquake.

My Friend also said that the Earthquake on the 20th March in Christchurch, New Zealand, woud make NZ split in half. I don't believe this, but the idea still scares me.

Another one that scare me as well is the rumour that the Ring of Fire volcanos will eventually link together and erup at the same time or something like that. Not gonna happen in this lifetime! Hopefully...

I just hope that the Countries that are affected by earthquakes go back to normal

I didn't mean this to scare you... Just inform you if you are interested. I never focused so much on the ring of fire then seeing how active it really can be.

As far as our major earthquakes in South Carolina, our last one was in Charleston in 1886, magnitude between 6.6 and 7.3 (obviously unknown exactly what it was) and damage was seen as far as Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia and Alabama. It could be felt in Massachusetts, Illinois... Even in Cuba and the Bermuda Triangle. According to scientists we're years overdue on one and forecasted to have another one like that in the next 40 years. And when it happens, all of Historical Charleston will be gone. If anyone's been there, you know about the shock plates they put in the old buildings, they do nothing good in aiding against damage. A building needs to be able to sway during an earthquake, whereas these shock plates stiffen the building.

@ .:Nightpelt~Togetchi:. : Yeah, I believe what your mother said to be right. The Ring of Fire isn't the only earthquake prone place sadly. There are fault lines all over the place, the splitting of Pangaea made them. And the Tectonic Plates are moving all the time, so sadly, they're inevitable :(

I didn't mean this to scare you... Just inform you if you are interested. I never focused so much on the ring of fire then seeing how active it really can be.
No you dodn't really scare me. I was informative but just a bit creepy.

Most people these days are talking about natural disasters, I'd be really worried if my house fell down though. As long as an earthquake doesn't lead to a flood or a volcano eruption.

Oh then thats good... I think.

I saw one of these little earthquakes. (mag 1-2) on Mt. St. Helens I think... I was like... Volcano isn't it?

I still can get over how many are still going on... If they were effected by the Japan one at all or if they are just happening. I knew sometimes they (California in particular) had them, just not that frequent... Given they are small though....

Wow... Thats incredible. What you shared. Are you still having them? It looks like you guys are having them, smaller but still shaking...
Yeah, lots of smaller ones. Some are just little rumbles and others are quite sharp jolts that are over after a couple of seconds. The other night on threw my TV off and I work in a supermarket and occasionally the smaller ones throw things off the shelves. They're daily at this point. They will eventually be few and far between but for now we just gotta keep on trucking.

You can't feel earthquakes that are below 3.0 magnitude. Even then, a lot of people won't feel them if they're small because small earthquakes usually aren't noticeable unless you're inside a house and awake
You can feel them if they're shallow enough. Our ones here are rather shallow. Our 6.3 was only 5 kms deep, thus the reason it caused so much damaged. I've felt one less than a 3 because it was less than 1km deep. There are some ridiculously close to the surface.

My Friend also said that the Earthquake on the 20th March in Christchurch, New Zealand, woud make NZ split in half. I don't believe this, but the idea still scares me.
I don't believe it either, but so many people do. I've got a 9 hour shift tomorrow (The 20th) because people are too scared to turn up to work. If it happens, it happens. Not much I can do to stop it.

What do you think (or did you think) of the super moon?

I didn't think it had effect. If at all... Very little. (As people were saying it had something to do with the Earthqauke...However a week early)

Its slightly weird that they were thinking someone soon on March 9th someone in the ring of fire would have an earthquake. Sadly it happend. Last I knew, the news said atleast 8,000 people are dead. 12,000 or more still missing.

I haven't been too updated the last two days due to Libya. (Which, is important too...)

Here is a link like what was posted earlier for Chirstchurch. (Linked byre VeganCheeseBurgerFTW) This one is for Japan...

Japan earthquakes in order. Hit sticky notes.

i dont get earthquakes where i live, but im sad for japan. :(

plus i saw a show on TLC about a tsunami (not in japan) and it had a warning at the beggining saying "this contains disturbing images of dead people and a tusnami" ok..well it didnt really go like that, but it had a warning!

What do you think (or did you think) of the super moon?

I didn't think it had effect. If at all... Very little. (As people were saying it had something to do with the Earthqauke...However a week early)
Well, the river I live by had a really really high tide and they had to sand bag it which made us all a little nervous but it didn't flood, thank golly gosh.

It hasn't had much of an effect, obviously the moon has an effect on the earth due to it's gravitational pull and as you probably know, the moon controls the earths tides.

Other than that, it's life as new normal for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back