Do you agree with Capital Punishment?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you, though? This sounds selfish, but instead of life imprisonment why not just use Capital Punishment? New prisons will have to be built to keep the criminals. Annual costs to house inmates grew from $6.5 billion in 1982 to $39.7 billion in 2001. During the 1970’s prison costs accounted for 1% to 2% of state budgets, but by the 1990’s represented 8% to 10%, which forced cuts in other state services.
The economic argument of capital punishment being cheaper than lifetime / high security imprisonment has been disproved all over the USA.

It costs the US government more to have the Death Penalty: https://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

California pays an extra $90,000 per inmate to put them on death row instead of in a maximum security prison.

The annual costs of the present (death penalty) system in California is around $137 million per year.

The annual costs of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

It costs Maryland an average of $37 million per execution

The list on that link goes on through lots of other states - each detailing how much more money it costs to have the death penalty as opposed to lifetime imprisonment.

For the USA in general, it comments that Capital cases (death penalty) leave county budgets with large unexpected costs.

Counties manage these high costs by decreasing funding for highways and police and by increasing taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm for it, pretty much. I think an eye for an eye is fair. People need to learn that there are consequences to the things they do that are equal to what they have done. We pay tax money for them to be in jail the rest of their lives. Especially serial killers, because they can go and kill more people oftentimes.

I agree with capital punishment. Consider Charles Manson, for instance. He has been on death row for decades, and taxpayers have been supporting him all this time. I think if you take someone else's life, you should give up your own. An eye for an eye. I also think these 9/11 criminals at Gitmo should be done away with. They killed thousands of innocent people.

I disagree with it. I find it very unethical. (Very happy that Canada doesn't do such things)

Like many people have said already, what right do we have to say who should die and who should live? Obiviously the murderer thought he was in the right for killing a person, so why is he the bad guy? Oh wait, thats right. Because he murdered someone. *Cough* *Cough*

So why do we have the right to kill him? What does putting him to death accomplish?

Although the murder may have killed an innocent person, killing them doesn't bring back the person he killed, it's not satisfying, it's just a pointless death. (Well not pointless...But you know what I mean)

For someone to want to murder another person, they must have been neglected in there childhood. They would have to be scarred mentally.

These people need help and cousling. To simply kill them is the easy way out, and doesn't solve anything.

Besides, I dunno about you. But being stuck in prison for the rest of my life would be pretty horrible. Stuck in a small cell for hours on end doing nothing? Why do people think that, that isn't enough.

If they are proved, and the evidence is 100% right then yes I do. If somebody has murdered another person, they should be punished in the same way. Nobody has the right to take away another human's life for their own purpose.

We need to learn that there is consequences for actions and by doing something wrong, something bad is bound to happen. Where as if you do something good, something good is bound to happen to you.

Capital Punishment is the only way for us to learn.

... Nobody has the right to take away another human's life for their own purpose.
...Capital Punishment is the only way for us to learn.
I just wondered: if you believe that no one has the right to take away another human's life for their own purpose, what right do we/the prison Governor, etc. have to take away someone's life?

There are other ways to learn that taking life is wrong - like imprisonment - and there are several studies that prove it costs the tax payer a lot more to kill a convicted criminal than to keep them in prison.

"Capital Punishment" is just another way to say "Killing someone" imho (can you guess that I don't agree with Capital Punishment?! :mimitchi: )

A week ago, I spoke to my Mum about this, and she pretty much agrees with me (that CP is wrong). She also made another point that even if a person does get out of prison early, they still have the criminal record, which might make it difficult to get them a job, especially if they were murderers. It would especially be a problem for someone if they were young when they were convicted, because it could mean they miss getting their qualifications, again making it difficult to get a job. Without a job, it's difficult to support yourself.

And of course, there is always the chance that they make a mistake, and you can't bring people back from the dead!

But she also said that she doesn't think people should be able to get out of prison early for things like good behavior. She says that the amount of years on the sentence wasn't meant to be a test on how long they can go while behaving, it was meant to be their punishment for committing crime.

I don't. Execution is a quick out. The person suffers maybe a bit of emotional pain for awhile from the thought of going to die, then dead and they don't ever learn their lesson.

Its also wrong, humans should not kill other humans, not as revenge or for murder. Human life is limited and execution makes human life have less worth that it does.

Im very much [SIZE=14pt]AGAINST[/SIZE] Capital Punishment, and this is why:

Do I believe that people should pay for their crimes? Yes, very much so. But to murder someone, for murdering another, isn't that a touch Hypercritical. Not just that, but think of the people he killed, their families have to live with that heartache and suffering for the rest of their LIVES. But what about the criminal? If he gets put to death, what does he learn?. Nothing. Putting him to death doesn't magically make the families pain and heartache go away, it doesn't bring back anyone who died. In-fact all I can see it doing, is letting the criminal off lightly.

Would You Rather:

a) Be Put To Death

b)Spend the rest of your life in jail having to think about what you did every single waking moment?

I know what i would pick. I believe if the families have to deal with it their whole lives, so should the prisoner.

And it disturbs me that Capital punishment gets abused around the world. I think it should be totally abolished.

As for the whole "some people deserve it". Well who are we to say that? Who are we to dole out punishments like that? And if you really think about it, if very bad people (not mentioning names as i dont want to offend anybody, i know its a sore subject) went to jail, for life, the amount of "stuff" they would be put through from fellow inmates, would be vastly worse then death.

So when you look at Capital Punishment

- Its VERY costly (wasting Tax Dollars)

- It gives the criminal a way out

- No life lessons are learned

- Its hypercritical

- It doesn't bring back any loved ones

- And who are we to decide who lives and dies?

This is why I am against capital punishment, Thank you for reading my point of view.

Would You Rather:a) Be Put To Death

b)Spend the rest of your life in jail having to think about what you did every single waking moment?
^ That :)

Before in this thread I posted that I was fine with it, but I'm actually against it now, basically because of all the reasons everybody already posted.

Well, yes and no.
No:

While google searching some things about countries in the mid-east for a school project, I read a story about a sixteen year old girl who was hanged for throwing off her head-scarf in public. I think the legal age there for death penalty is eighteen, but the judge said she was twenty-two, therefore she was hanged. At sixteen years old... WTF!?

Also in the same country, a seventeen year old girl and her niece were in the park when two rapists came and attempted to rape them. The older girl defended herself, then the judge gave her death via hanging. Later I read two things about that incident. 1) If you resist rape, you are hanged and if you don't resist it, you are stoned as an adulterer. 2) She was freed due to petitions across the world.

So I don't think that hanging should be used if it's overrated stupid laws most other countries don't have.

Yes:

If there's a serial killer with 100% proof that it was him/her, then they deserve capital punishment. I mean, criminals are in fact sometimes known to escape, and people just want to prevent that from happening Besides without death penalty, there is parole, and sometimes you can even get out early. People are just trying to make the world a safer place.

And by the way, although Canada doesn't have the death penalty, it doesn't mean Canadians can't get it. I hear on the news all the time where convicted murderers are sent to the states to get their death sentence.
I agree with Kristin.

If you kill someone, you should be dead too.

I also believe that if a man rapes someone, their weapon in the case (Their woo-hoo) should be cute off. He missused it and doesn't deserve to be called a man anymore. If a woman rapes someone, she should somehow get her area closed off, considering you can't cut off a woman's sexual part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back