Equal marriage

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why people should be "proud" about their sexuality whether it's gay, straight, or something else. ^_^ ; It's not like it's something you accomplished and no sexuality makes you better than anyone else :p
First of I think "proud" is more along the lines of being happy with your sexuality of who you are as we all should be proud of our selfs and some of our achievements and what makes us good about eachother it's nothing to do with being better. Is it wrong to be proud of being Australian or American?

Anyway I've read abit of this topic and it's way too deep and in my opinion stupid that these mixes of "this is wrong" and "this is right" are thrown around without truly having evidence of why you all think it's wrong or right and not actually having full understanding of the subject. You all should just keep your opinions to yourself becuase they are just..... Ridiculous.

In the end can't we do what people want aslong as it doesn't harm others? As my opinion, Marriage is just a thing showing love between two human beings now who cares whether it's two of the same gender WHO CARES it's not effecting you in anyway so what of it? You don't need to go say "this is wrong" just keep it to your attention seeking self.

I think this topic should just be banned from existence on this forum as it's just an enteral void of opinionated garbage that will do nothing but throw hate around and I don't think marriage is worth arguing over.

I think the topic is fine unless it's making people angry with each other. I know it's hard to tell emotions from only text but nothing I've said here has been angry and I apologize if anyone took it as being.

I'm not angry but I feel really upset and guilty when people get mad at me. I love everyone, even people who hate me, and so I get hurt easily ;_;

My gay friends are fine with my opinion and I think it's weird how straight people who support gay marriage go into bigger ragefits than gay people themselves.

I think this topic should just be banned from existence on this forum as it's just an enteral void of opinionated garbage that will do nothing but throw hate around and I don't think marriage is worth arguing over.
"Banned from existence"..."opinionated garbage"... :mellow:

Is it wrong to be proud of being Australian or American?
Someone on another forum said "I don't understand how you can be proud of something you didn't choose."

Why does every single topic like this devolve into random "Your opinion is stupid, stop attention-seeking, I am always right, blahblahblah"?

Non-gay supporters should stop ranting about gays. And gay-supporters should stop ranting about people who don't support gays. Welp.

You can love whoever you want EMF, but its not like I don't love my mom because she has a vagina or i'm madly in love with my dad because he has a penis... I had lost feelings for her. I grew up out of the stage I was in. I knew that I was gay and I couldn't continue because when I look at women I don't find anything attracted about them. When I look at men I feel a very love feelings especially when you see someone that you think might be the right one for you. I never felt that way with girls. That's why I broke up with her because I didn't feel anything....

Do you ever get that feeling of excitement when you kiss someone you truly love? Or think about them and get excited? I never felt that way with women.

You can say the same for heterosexuals, just as Awkwardo had said. Do you think you can fall in love with the same sex although YOU'RE not attracted to the genitals? That's the thing heterosexuals understand. When I tried to change myself to being a heterosexual, I felt very uncomfortable and upset and for awhile I thought I couldn't love who I wanted to. I

How could we have had kids if I am not attracted to the opposite sex?

Don't believe everything you read in the bible or in the Quran, do you really think that we will burn in hell for the people we love? Have you went up to god and asked him yourself if homosexuality was wrong? Do you KNOW if Jesus wrote the bible?

Non-gay-marriage-supporters are hated even worse than gay people as far as I've seen.
I get that individuals against LGBT marriage are unfairly harrassed to the extreme in certain cases, and I totally agree that it's abhorrent, but what straight people against equal marriage get is nothing compared to what LGBT people face.

81 countries literally have anti-gay laws in place. You can still be hung for being gay. In 2008, the Gambian president told homosexuals that they'd be decapitated if they tried to flee to Gambia to escape Senegal. Gay women in Sudan are buried in the ground from the neck down and are stoned in the head. Gay men are stoned on the first offence, and receive the death penalty on the third. In Iran you're flogged either 74/100 lashes dependant on whether you're male or female. In South Africa, the 'corrective rape' of a lesbian isn't even legally a hate crime.

These are from the Significant acts of violence against LGBT people page on wikipedia:

tumblr_n96qaxE4qq1tyh6g0o1_1280.png
tumblr_n96qaxE4qq1tyh6g0o2_1280.png

tumblr_n96qaxE4qq1tyh6g0o3_1280.png

tumblr_n96qaxE4qq1tyh6g0o4_1280.png

That isn't even the whole article.

Yeah, I think equal marriage is important. But speaking as a bi guy, it's far from the biggest struggle LGBT people face right now :\

EDIT: sorry, forgot to censor screenshots for slurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's... horrible :eek:

Some people who don't support gay marriage, such as myself, do not hate gay people at all. For example, if a female friend of mine got a girlfriend I wouldn't be disapproving at all, I'm still supportive of everyone and I never feel any disgust or disapproval when I hear of gay relationships. Even though I don't think gay marriage should be done I'm not gonna stop anyone from having a gay relationship or marriage. You may think a 30-year-old shouldn't watch Barney the Dinosaur but you're not gonna stop them from doing so.

Checking the previous Homosexuality topic on TamaTalk, only THREE people didn't support gay marriage and everyone else in the topic was making fun of their beliefs and/or calling them horrible people. Does insulting people make them magically support gay marriage? When I mention I don't support gay marriage on other web sites, I'm told to kill myself, to burn in petroleum fire, that I'm the worst person in the world and Earth would be a better place if I was never born. I self harmed for years from all the hatred I got for my opinion.

I'm against all violence and hatred committed towards homosexual people. But it is okay to not support gay marriage as long as you don't treat them as if they are worse than straight people.

It's okay to be for gay marriage and share the reasons for your opinion, but please spare a thought for those non-violent people who DON'T support gay marriage? Insulting them, calling them horrible things, saying they deserve to die will NOT change their opinion and it will only make them more upset at the gay and gay-supporting community.

I disagreed with gay marriage before I was Christian, in fact, that was one of the reasons I decided to become Christian.

And you know what? I was MORE disapproving of gays before I became Christian, if you'd see my posts in the old Homosexuality topic.

Not everyone who is against it is Christian, and not all Christians are against it.

Being gay does not make someone a horrible person.

Supporting gay marriage does not make someone a horrible person.

Disagreeing with gay marriage does not make someone a horrible person.

Hating someone for being gay, for supporting gay marriage, or for NOT supporting gay marriage is what makes a horrible person.

If one truly preached love and acceptance, one would love and accept those who have different views on gay marriage.

If gays want to be treated like normal people, non-gay-marriage supporters should be treated like people too :3

Checking the previous Homosexuality topic on TamaTalk, only THREE people didn't support gay marriage and everyone else in the topic was making fun of their beliefs and/or calling them horrible people. Does insulting people make them magically support gay marriage?
It seems that most of the conflicts in that old thread were not due to the people's opinions, but how people expressed their opinions. It's unfair to say that certain individuals were harassed for their beliefs. For example, I think it's okay to be angry if someone insinuates that you will burn in hell for merely experiencing same-sex attraction...and tries to convince people to change their sexual orientation, etc.

Yes, we should respect everyone's beliefs.

Yes, we should respect everyone's lifestyles.

No one should hate anyone.

Everyone should be equally entitled to the entire human experience.

I could reiterate my views like this...

7e1c634bfeb649c9b059c6ad3d2252992d5beed2dca8e125e16639453ec18dbb.jpg

People deserve to live in the way they choose. That's all there is to it, really.

That's... horrible :eek:

Checking the previous Homosexuality topic on TamaTalk, only THREE people didn't support gay marriage and everyone else in the topic was making fun of their beliefs and/or calling them horrible people. Does insulting people make them magically support gay marriage? ...

If one truly preached love and acceptance, one would love and accept those who have different views on gay marriage...
Unfortunately, that's the contradiction in your very rational assessment - and when you refer back to the Homosexuality topic on TamaTalk, if one truly preached love and acceptance one would not publicly rebuke / judge / admonish another person because they do not have the same beliefs / opinion. Nor should this difference be used as an excuse to disparage or disregard another persons beliefs / opinions.

That goes for those who think that their faith gives them the right to ignore all other opinions and proseltyze to the point of harassment and bullying (or tell someone they are not a "true" Christian if they don't condemn homosexuality as a sin).

It also goes for those who think that one declaration of a person's religious faith or moral guidelines in life equates to having religion shoved in their face (or that if they believe homosexuality is a sin they must be a "hater" or a person to be reviled) - it doesn't.

However, we are all human and our inability to accept that other points of view may be equally valid accompanied by our need to demonstrate to others that our opinion is right and the other opinion is wrong is a common flaw we all display.

It sucks sometimes, but there it is. You can't stop it but you can learn to recognise it when it's happening and make a conscious decision not to provoke or antagonise someone or descend to their level of ignorance / obstinacy.

The debate about equal marriage (legality or otherwise) is now a part of our culture worldwide and goes hand in hand with the debate on homosexuality.

There is nothing simple about it and (as always) it involves politics, religion and sex - the trio of subjects always guaranteed to provoke and antagonise.

Round and round we all go ;)

I believe religion is a valid reason for disagreeing with Homosexuality since Christians KNOW God is real. Just like an atheist KNOWS God isn't real, a Christian KNOWS He is. It's hard to explain lol. But most Christians I know have other reasons for disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle.

Anyway an upsetting thing is assuming that a person who disagrees with gay marriage is a horrible person who hate gay people.

You may disagree with 13-year-olds legally getting married; that doesn't mean you hate 13 year olds.

A person may have a certain set of morals and concern for possible health/physical problems that leads them to have their opinion but it's hard for people with opposite opinions to understand.

For example, incest. I'm sure some people disagree with brothers and sisters marrying eachother. But why, exactly? Is it because of the health problems (inbreeding)? But, not all people in relationships have sex. So why exactly is incest wrong? Just because it's "disgusting"? Well, people may think homosexuality is "disgusting" too (I don't think it is, but I think anal sex is disturbing and harmful, even when straight couples do it).

I disagree with incest too. But anyway, like incest, you can't exactly describe why you believe homosexuality is immoral and harmful. ;)

Would I vote for gay marriage to be legal? Most likely. Would I attend a gay wedding of one of my friends? Yes. But it doesn't mean I have 100% positive opinions on homosexuality ;)

First of all I'd like to state my views. These are my own opinions, and not to be taken directly to anyone.

I am an openly gay, 16 year old teenager. I have been in a committed relationship for 2 years and can honestly say, its been the best time of my life. My boyfriend makes me feel happy, I get a feeling that no one else gives me. Every message he sends me, its like my heart skips a beat, and when he kisses me, it feels right.

However with girls, I didn't get that feeling, sure I understand that I was young at the time and didn't understand everything. (I was 14) but still, when I kissed it didn't feel right. I just wasn't happy. I didn't feel anything, if I got into a relationship with a girl I'd panic and end it after a few days.

My opinion on gay marriage is that it should be legal. You don't see LGBT people telling heterosexual people they can't get married, so why do it to gay people?

Everyone has the right to be who they want to be. I don't agree that LGBT should be allowed to get marriaged in a church by law, but if the church agrees then fair enough.

But anyway, I think that there's more important things to worry about, than marriage. If someone loves someone that much, just be greatful your able to be together in the first place.

This is a controversial subject I have no solid opinion on anymore. There is no "right" answer on whether Gay Marriage should be legal or not. Being gay is no reason to think less of someone. Gays are still humans. Gay Marriage is part of equal rights.

However, is there really equal rights for EVERYONE? 15-year-olds can't get married. Relatives can't get married (at least, I don't think so). Isn't this discrimination too? For couples too young or related?

I don't think there will ever be such a thing as equality... traditionally, marriage is the joining of one man and one woman. But that doesn't mean everyone hates gays. It's just how things have been for a long, long time and some people have trouble adjusting. Normally you have to be at least 18 to marry. But that doesn't mean everyone hates people under 18 years of age.

I think gay marriage should be legal, to be honest, because it's not up to me or any person to decide who can marry who. But there's also nothing wrong with not supporting it as long as you treat gay people like any other human. A person who is against gay marriage probably won't stop you from getting married, and they aren't the reason gay marriage is illegal in many states. Someone is gay? You can have your opinion, but move on. Someone is against gay marriage? You can have your opinion, but move on. :)

People should all just get along and someone's stance on gay marriage shouldn't decide whether they're a good person or not. There are plenty of kind, generous people who are against gay marriage and cruel, selfish people who are for gay marriage.

It seems like there is no reason to be against gay marriage but people may have concerns based on religion or potential physical health issues. Both sides have good reasons for their opinions, remember that. And even if you aren't religious, there are some people who truly believe God is real and that he condemns gay relationships. We can't convince them that their faith is wrong.

But as long as gay couples can happily and safely live their lives together, whether they're married are not, it's all good. :)

For me homophobia is the same as racism. Lets see...

If you discriminate people for their skin color etc its called Racism.

But if you discriminatd people for their sexuality like being gay. Its okay because its in the bible?

So thats why i think of it this way.

Many people I know (including black people, and people who support gay marriage) are offended when people compare racism to disagreeing with gay marriage. D:

The reason being, skin color is a physical trait. People just look at you and know you're black, white, etc, but with sexuality you don't go around yelling it in the streets for everybody to know.

Many people I know (including black people, and people who support gay marriage) are offended when people compare racism to disagreeing with gay marriage. D:
The reason being, skin color is a physical trait. People just look at you and know you're black, white, etc, but with sexuality you don't go around yelling it in the streets for everybody to know.

It's neither it is just simply discrimination to have homophobia or judge people because of the colour of their skin. Racism and sexuality both aren't the same thing but they both shouldn't be judged we are people that's it. I am of a darker skin colour (half African American with American Indian defendant) and I'm not offended I just think that's just categorising judging people over sexuality under the wrong thing, in the end it's all discrimination over what? Not being the same as someone else?

And emf ... *comment removed - off topic (and incorrect as the word was not used pejoratively)*...

I dunno anymore just simply think personally that two human beings should be allowed to marry marriage has seemingly become less of a religious thing these days but a right of passage to show someone you truly love them does it need to be so hard and complicated when the answer is right there..? Like I've said before in the religion topic the bible in my opinion is just a guide on "how to be a good human" when we had no way of stopping people from doing something they shouldn't a lot of things weren't accounted for and with lack of knowledge thought to be wrong but now we have become wiser and know more of real morals a bit better.

I dunno anymore just simply think personally that two human beings should be allowed to marry marriage has seemingly become less of a religious thing these days but a right of passage to show someone you truly love them does it need to be so hard and complicated when the answer is right there..? Like I've said before in the religion topic the bible in my opinion is just a guide on "how to be a good human" when we had no way of stopping people from doing something they shouldn't a lot of things weren't accounted for and with lack of knowledge thought to be wrong but now we have become wiser and know more of real morals a bit better.
I agree with how you see marriage being a way to show love rather than a religious thing, but want to add as well that it also allows the government to tax you differently. (As a couple instead of individuals)

Not like that matters too much in Canada anyway since they'll tax you as a common-law, or something of similar wording, regardless on relationship status or gender between the people. thus you'll be taxed as a couple anyways (after so many months)

I kind of conspire that the main reason that equal marriage was allowed in Canada was that the government knew they could rake in more tax dollars. I don't want to believe this as true, but it's very possible.(I wasn't at the meeting in which they decided this.) I still support equal marriage rights regardless of this mini-conspiracy.

In all honesty, I don't even know why I ever chose to support it in my life anyways. My parents never talked about it. My parents are neutral towards this issue (They don't hate it, but do nothing to support it) and most kids that i was around (not saying they were actually friends) always treated homosexuality as a bad thing.

I guess just somewhere in my mind I knew that acceptance was the thing to do, and always stuck myself into saying marriage equality should be a real thing. Even the darkest of hearts have their good inside I guess. ;)

People get offended for different reasons regarding different issues. It depends on how you've lived your life, what you've had to personally deal with, what experiences you've had and how they have shaped you. Racism and homophobia are regarded as similar (not the exact same thing, obviously, as both have different worldwide histories) because of the experiences that people face in modern society, which harken back to experiences people have had historically dealing with racism. People have been and are still killed because of their race. People have been and are still killed because of their sexuality. People have had to undergo civil rights movements in an attempt to reclaim the equal rights allowed to human beings regardless of conditions one was born with. First there was the civil rights movements for African Americans, which could be argued are still continuing today. Nowadays, we are witnesses to the new civil rights movements, including the one for LGBTQ rights. These movements have many similarities, which is why people compare the two (ESPECIALLY people who actually lived through the civil rights movements of the 1960s.

If you have not experienced either of the issues pertaining to the civil rights movements (i.e. if you are not a person of color or non-straight), you fortunately will never have any idea in your lifetime what that experience is like, having to fight for your rights in order to live the way you want to live. You may be discriminated against for other reasons, like for not supporting gay marriage for example. However, LAW is not blocking you from being allowed to not support gay marriage. You are free, legally and culturally, to have the beliefs that you do. LGBTQ people do NOT have the legal rights to hold the beliefs that they wish to, i.e. that they should be allowed to be married. They are blocked by law, by religion and by hate to carry out life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in the very country that is supposed to grant those things to all citizens. That is why we, supporters of legalization of non-straight marriage, fight for those freedoms. There is no reason to LEGALLY deny those rights. Especially for so very long as we have.

I have no problems with LGBT people in general (I have friends who are bi) and I think same-sex marriage should be legal. A man loves a man and a woman loves a woman, seriously, what is wrong with that? Society, stop calling it taboo and just accept it.

Lets make it clear my previous comment was stupid. I am not a activist. But i don't really understand the fuss about it. Even if its a sin and they are going to hell : Why would you care. I don't believe in god so i don't believe in hell. So from my point its just their way of living and you should let them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back