Euthanasia

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.chasm.

Reaction score
I saw the topic of euthanasia on a couple of other discussions here, so I was wondering what everyone's opinions on it were.

Euthanasia, or a 'mercy killing', is the act of ending a person's life prematurely due to an illness, disease or disability. It is currently illegal in most countries, though places like Switzerland and the Netherlands allow it. There are three types of euthanasia:

• Voluntary, where a person requests help with ending their life, usually from a doctor or family member (also referred to as assisted suicide).

• Non-voluntary euthanasia, where a person is unable to request it, but it is believed to be in their best interests (for example, if someone is in a coma).

• Involuntary, where a person is killed without consultation or agreement (such as in Nazi Germany, where the mentally ill and disabled were mass-murdered).

There are also two methods of euthanasia

• Active, where actions are taken to kill someone directly, such as a lethal injection.

• Passive, where treatment is withheld so that a person will die because of an illness, such as turning off a life support machine.

Personally, I think that euthanasia should be allowed without question when a person requests it, using whichever method is preferred.. the decision to end their life should primarily be that person's responsibility, and refusing someone the right to die when they are in pain is wrong. Also, if someone is ill enough that they can't request to be killed, but it is thought that they can't recover, I think that the family should be allowed to decide whether euthanasia is the best option. However, this should only be decided after consultation. I also think that 'living wills', where a healthy person writes what they would like to happen in the case of serious illness or injury, should be legally binding, as doctors can currently ignore the person's earlier wishes and carry on with care. If a person has written in a living will that they would like to die under those circumstances, their wishes should be respected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. If a person is in pain and wants to end their life why shouldn't we do everything possible to make sure they die with dignity? People would call you cruel for letting your dog suffer and die slowly instead of putting it to sleep humanely so why doesn't the same apply to people (if that's what they want)? Just my opinion, don't mean to offend anybody!

I am kind of in between, I think people should be allowed to end their life if they are terminally ill, but if I had to help a family member end theirs, I don't know if I could deal with the guilt. :(

That decision is not mine to make. WAY too tough to decide.

I guess it should be legal, but only if the person who wants euthanasia expressly says so. Giving a family member euthanasia because "that's what they would have wanted" if you have no real way to know that, seems wrong to me.

I believe passive euthanasia is all right if the person is already dying.

Active euthanasia, all right if the person is already dying and says they want it.

But I could never make that decision with someone else's life. I'd always feel like I made the wrong decision. What if they could have survived?

Well, I guess you cannot force someone to stay in the hospital, but I completely disagree with killing him, no matter if he wants too are not and no matter the pain.

It's exactly the same for younger people who are want to commit suicide. Don't tell me I mustn't try stopping them?

As far as I'm concerned, a person's life is his or her own; If they are able to make that decision to end it then of course I would try to discourage them, but I would not deny them of it if they were absolutely adamant that it's what they want.

I hope that nobody here has ever experienced any thoughts of suicide, and the vast majority of people never do. With that in mind, it's very difficult for an outsider to understand the psychological state of someone who is suicidal - or, in another example, self harming. It's completely unimaginable; trying to hurt or kill yourself goes against every fibre of instinct in your body and yet there are people who are prepared to do it. Therefore, just think about the ordeal they must be going through in order to reach such a point.

I know that if I were to become ill or be injured in such a way that I lost the function of my hands and arms, living with that would be very difficult for me. The things I love most in the whole world are drawing and painting, playing guitar and piano and cooking - as well as my friends and family, of course-, and to lose the ability to do all of those things would be absolutely devastating. Hours of practice rendered worthless, all my hard work for nothing, all my dreams for the future completely shattered, to never feel the wholehearted happiness I experience when I'm doing what I love. I'm practically inconsolable when I go on holiday and I can't get my hands on a musical instrument for a week, so for my music to be taken away forever would feel like the end of the world to me. I can't say for sure, because I'm not going through that and I sincerely hope that I never will, but continuing to live my life from that moment on would be very difficult and I probably would consider suicide as an option. I would then hope that my family would support me in that decision.

Regarding my family, if I were terminally ill, costing my them and the state ludicrous amounts of money and time, I would rather they allowed nature to take its course than sustain my life pointlessly after a certain period of time. I wouldn't ever want to be a burden on somebody, and to be the person that has a physically, mentally and emotionally draining effect on the people I love as they sit at my bedside waiting for me to die a few months down the line would make me feel horribly guilty.

The thing is, I think older people feel the urge to consider euthanasia, because they're "a burden for society", which is a really evil saying.

Also, Kerfuffle, You're saying that even if you aren't incurable ill, but just can't do your music you would consider suicide? That means music has become an idol to you, and that's wrong.

Many people lose things in life, but many find a replacement or something else instead. Just because you can't do what you're used to, doesn't mean you cant learn to do and like something else. True love is shown in those difficult times.

Also, Kerfuffle, You're saying that even if you aren't incurable ill, but just can't do your music you would consider suicide? That means music has become an idol to you, and that's wrong.

Many people lose things in life, but many find a replacement or something else instead. Just because you can't do what you're used to, doesn't mean you cant learn to do and like something else. True love is shown in those difficult times.
Well, it would be incurable if I'd broken my neck and had no use of anything below my head- at least, for the moment it is until we work out how to repair spinal tissue. I would be seriously limited physically. I mean, what could I possibly do? I wouldn't be able to get a job, feed myself, dress myself, wash myself... I've always been an independent, hardworking person and for me that kind of lifestyle would almost certainly cause me to become mentally ill, too, from a sense of lacking in direction and purpose.

And I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you very strongly. I don't appreciate you telling me that loving music so much is wrong, because it's not. If you don't love something the way I love music- if you don't live and breathe it- then you cannot possibly understand how it would feel to lose such a thing. Honestly, telling me I could find a replacement is almost on the same level saying, 'Your parents have just died, but here's some new ones- they'll do.' Music has stuck with me longer than any friend, any possession, and it has been my saving grace through some of the most difficult moments of my life. If you've never felt that way about something, then I feel very sorry for you, because it is the most wonderful thing.

Although, I find it hard to believe that you haven't, because you clearly love God and being a Christian. How would you feel if somebody took that away from you? (obviously, I am aware that it's almost impossible, but for the purposes of this conversation, let's just say it could happen). I imagine you would feel like me in a world without music- lost, depressed, frustrated. But if you still feel differently, then I'm just going to say this- if it's so wrong to love something so passionately, then lock me up and throw away the key for the rest of my life, because I am totally guilty of that and not at all afraid to say so.

Music is also something that I shouldn't have to consider losing. People grow apart, and we also cannot get away from the fact that everybody dies and one day we will lose the people who are dear to us. But music, I hope, will never die out and never stop being a part of my life.

I do understand that it sounds selfish to a lot of people, but for me a world without music is a world not worth living in.

I believe in it. I have told friends and family that if something were to happen to me and I'd end up a vegetable or on life support, I would like to be euthanized and my body donated for organs or whatever else can be used to help others. Some of my family feel the same--it's not much a life when you're in a coma or basically brain dead. A plus to me is that even after death, I'm still helping others in some way.

I personally believe Euthanasia should be legal if somebody has a critical illness or something like Lock-in syndrome. If I was completely paralyzed from the neck down I would want to die, in my opinion, anybody who doesn't believe somebody in that situation has the right to commit assisted suicide is cruel and heartless.

The thing is, I think older people feel the urge to consider euthanasia, because they're "a burden for society", which is a really evil saying.

No, its wrong if you're a christian/jew/catholic. If you don't follow a religion where you're told to not follow only one almighty god it is completely fine to 'idolize' something.

I personally believe Euthanasia should be legal if somebody has a critical illness or something like Lock-in syndrome. If I was completely paralyzed from the neck down I would want to die, in my opinion, anybody who doesn't believe somebody in that situation has the right to commit assisted suicide is cruel and heartless.

No, its wrong if you're a christian/jew/catholic. If you don't follow a religion where you're told to not follow only one almighty god it is completely fine to 'idolize' something.
So, you think that non-christians won't go to hell?

The main reason Christians are against the act of Euthanasia is due to how sacred human life is. Each body is regarded as 'Gods temple' and destroying this would be an act against God. Even suicide is against God and is supposed to result in the individual going to hell. The problem is that no clear explanation is given in the Bible giving a varied view on the act.

However, despite this you do have to consider the 'lesser of two evils' argument. Would it be right to make them suffer if you knew you could prevent it?

I'm not a Christian and in most cases I'm for euthanasia. I can't imaging how terrible it must be to be in the situation of some people. The only problem is the act of assisting the suicide. It is still a form of murder if you kill someone. The only solution around this is to get someone who has already sinned to do the act. I don't mind though. In fact, I believe this is a prime example of when religion can make lives worse.

Christian life is not supposed to make your life better(in the sense of comfort,etc). Anything is better to suffer on this temporary earth that to be eternally in Hell suffering. Euthanasia is murder=evil Suffering is pain but not evil.

It is an unpleasant emotion that is not unbearable, because else you WOULD die. However, how unbearable it may FEEL, you should not commit this wrongdoing.

Everyone has sinned, doesn't mean they should continue.

I see,euthanasia. is the best way to die compare with die in real life, i mean if you get cancer or other illness. You have to suffer for your illness everyday. I am not talking this in relegion perspective. But this is my view. so if i had cancer or other diseases that torment. Better i ask doctor to inject me with euthanasia. remember i am not talking this in religion perspective.this is just my view.

I'll give you my opinion, and I know people will disagree or agree.

I am completly with it, but only for good reasons.

If someone is Terminally ill, or has extreme pain, it would probably be best.

On the other hand, some people may request it for depression, and that wouldn't be good. Some help would hopefully be advised before the fatal climax.

That's just my opinion, hope to see others as well.

I think it should be legal. Reason being, if someone is in extreme pain or misery, and they request to be killed, they should be allowed to do that. I mean, why would you want to leave someone in pain and let them suffer?

I'm studying to be a nurse and this is a topic I hear and see everyday. I've already taken care of terminally ill patiënts for several times and it's horrible to see them suffer. Even families standing by their bedsides crying give their beloved person permission to "go", even though he or she doesn't always hear it.

So it's not only the ill person suffering, but also the family and friends. That's why I see Euthanasia as a peaceful gift, not as a crime. The pain will end and the family and friends can get closure.

Well said Nathalietchi. There is a lot of suffering and needless holding on to life. Yes, life is a precious gift but when you are dying and in pain you just want to go. Others are basically unconscious for years before they die. Where is the fairness in that for anyone?

We make this decision for our pets all of the time.

Keeping people alive needlessly only feeds the hospitals, severely understaffed nursing homes, lawyers and drug companies.

It is murder.

Euthanasia is just plain evil. It is better to live in pain then to commit suicide, or be killed by people who choose for you.

No man should control death, that is God's decision, not yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back