gba game soldering help

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamafan325

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a question :)

Ok, this may be kind of an odd topic, but i'm wondering how to recognise a flash memory/ EEPROM card inside a gba cartridge.

I'm getting a gba game soon, and when teh flash memory wears out, i want to be able to change it, otherwise you can't save your game; you need a working flash memory card to be able to save your game.

My questions are: - How do you recognise a flash memory card inside a gba game?

- Can i solder a flash memory off another gba cartridge?or would that be bad? (because the metal pins of the chip melt and you get like a kind of surface of melten iron)

- Can i use the flash memory card of ALL gba games on ALL OTHER gba games?

- Do most gba games have the same kind of flash memory card?

for my first question, here's a picture:

ioq0sj.jpg

So underneath the left chip it says "EEPROM" and you see a little chip, so it's easy to recognise an EEPROM chip (flash memory card). But i guess some gba games don't have a chip saying "EEPROM" underneath it, how do i recognise the flash memory card then?

my second question:

So if the flash memory card wears out and i can't save anymore, i want to replace the flash memory card. Can i just use the flash memory card of other gba games by just soldering them out of the cartridge (after first opening the cartridge)? or would that be a problem, as you'll get a kind of surface of melten metal?(the ironpins of the chip will melt and so, you'll get a kind of "puddle" of melten iron)

my third question:

Most gba games use flash memory cards for saving. Do they all have the same kind of flash memory card, making it possible to use the flash memory card of ALL gba games on ALL OTHER gba games?

my fourth question:

this only applies for the gba games that use flash memory cards for saving: Do all gba games using a flash memory card use teh same kind of flash memory card?

Also, Would you recommend me using flash memory cards out of other gba games or just buying new ones and solder the new one into my gba cartridge? if you recommend me to buy a new flash memory card, where do i find those? because i don't know where to find those, it's a total mystery as of where to get them

Also, can you please answer in this way "first question.... second question: ..... Third question: ...... Fourth question: ....." It's easier for me to understand it then, as your answer is organised then :p

Please help!!

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong on this, but I've heard that flash memory chips do not wear out, so your save file stays forever. I believe it's just the internal battery that runs dry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, they do wear out, and the game i'm getting doesn't have an internal battery (sadly, as that would be easier)

and it was just a picture i found on the internet :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back