Gerbils! =DDD

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwitchi_Fan

Reaction score
Ooh, I think this is my first poll ever! xD Anyhow...I love gerbils. They are awesome. I have two, Hans and Jerry. I will post some pics later. =) So, do you have gerbils? Do you want them? Like them? If you do have them, I'd love to hear about yours and see some pics =D Also, I'm not going to make this a come-to-me-for-help-topic or anything, but if you do have any questions about gerbs, I'd be happy to answer them. ;] Alrighty, now vote and post! =D

Nope, I have hamsters to handle with so I don't have enough time to look after some gerbils too. What are they like?

Nope, I have hamsters to handle with so I don't have enough time to look after some gerbils too. What are they like?
I had a hamster before ^^ I know what you mean about not having time to care for them. Small animals like hammies and gerbies need a lot of attention. But, anyway, as to what gerbils are like........ Their really outgoing animals. Mine are not at all afraid of people and whenever they see me coming they will beg for treats and playtime. They crawl right into my hands and will snuggle up with me for a while before running off to play. I've never been bit by a gerbil except for Jerry biting me a couple times when I first got him. He was a little meanie xD Another nice thing about gerbils is their individual personalities. Hans is faster, quicker, and more active that Jerry. He's also an amazing escape artist. It'd be pointless to try and count all the times he's escaped. Jerry's fatter, and eats way more than Hans. He's also much cuddlier . And Jerry is WAY more intelligent than Hans. He figures things out quicker, and I actually trained him to tap a miniature ladder on command using clicker training. Hans never figured it out.

I also know Syrian hamsters are nocturnal, and dwarves are crepuscular (I think?) Gerbils aren't either, and they also aren't diurnal. They are awake any time of the day and night and take short naps throughout the day and night.

Also, even though gerbils are a lot of fun, I have to say they are definitely more work than hamsters, even though their tanks don't need to be cleaned as often. They demand plenty of out-of-cage time. They get bored and depressed if their humans don't play with them enough. And, unlike Syrian hamsters, gerbils are VERY social. They absolutely must be kept in pairs. And, even though it's rare, gerbils can declan or fight with each other. Mine did, unfortunately. Although that is extremely rare and it isn't nearly as like for a gerbil pair to fight as it is for, say, a pair of dwarf hamsters.

I had a hamster before ^^ I know what you mean about not having time to care for them. Small animals like hammies and gerbies need a lot of attention. But, anyway, as to what gerbils are like........ Their really outgoing animals. Mine are not at all afraid of people and whenever they see me coming they will beg for treats and playtime. They crawl right into my hands and will snuggle up with me for a while before running off to play. I've never been bit by a gerbil except for Jerry biting me a couple times when I first got him. He was a little meanie xD Another nice thing about gerbils is their individual personalities. Hans is faster, quicker, and more active that Jerry. He's also an amazing escape artist. It'd be pointless to try and count all the times he's escaped. Jerry's fatter, and eats way more than Hans. He's also much cuddlier . And Jerry is WAY more intelligent than Hans. He figures things out quicker, and I actually trained him to tap a miniature ladder on command using clicker training. Hans never figured it out.
I also know Syrian hamsters are nocturnal, and dwarves are crepuscular (I think?) Gerbils aren't either, and they also aren't diurnal. They are awake any time of the day and night and take short naps throughout the day and night.

Also, even though gerbils are a lot of fun, I have to say they are definitely more work than hamsters, even though their tanks don't need to be cleaned as often. They demand plenty of out-of-cage time. They get bored and depressed if their humans don't play with them enough. And, unlike Syrian hamsters, gerbils are VERY social. They absolutely must be kept in pairs. And, even though it's rare, gerbils can declan or fight with each other. Mine did, unfortunately. Although that is extremely rare and it isn't nearly as like for a gerbil pair to fight as it is for, say, a pair of dwarf hamsters.
I have two dwarfs which are soo active through out the day. Ahh, I wish I had a Gerbil now! xD

I have had seven gerbils in the past, with lifespans ranging from a year to five years.

Their avarage lifespan is about three. I think. They live a little longer than mice, which is two years.

Mine were, in order,

Tickles(three years) and Sniffles ( a year)

Nutter(Three years) and Zephyer (five years)

Cloud and Butterscotch (One year and two years)

and Schliclie (Slick, two years, brothers gerbil)

I have six currently. They had babies! D= Five of them are all gray, and one is light gray and white. My bro and I have only named a few.

Lucas(M) is about 3 months.

Sam(M) is maybe 4-5 months.

Sakarah(F) is about 3 months.

Chodo(M) is about 8 months.

Ashton and Ben(M) are both 7 months.

Chodo is the gray and white one. All the others are solid gray.

I luff gerbils.

I have six currently. They had babies! D= Five of them are all gray, and one is light gray and white. My bro and I have only named a few.Lucas(M) is about 3 months.

Sam(M) is maybe 4-5 months.

Sakarah(F) is about 3 months.

Chodo(M) is about 8 months.

Ashton and Ben(M) are both 7 months.

Chodo is the gray and white one. All the others are solid gray.

I luff gerbils.
Aww :)

I luff gerbils ^_^

I don't have a gerbil but i really want one, if i asked my mum if i could have a gerbil she would definitely say no and probably slam the door in my face. I want a gerbil!!!!!!!!! :D =(

Me~all~over =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer dogs over any animals,there just so fun! seriously can any thing beat a Jack Russel teriier?

ive had 5 gerbils all together

name amount of time what happened

cutie (3 months) died of old age. had a stroke:(

chipper (3 months) died of old age. also had a stroke :p

lou (6 months) still alive.

chipper 2 (1 month and a half) died cuz broke neck jumping too much in cage.

fluffy (5 months) also still alive.

ive had 5 gerbils all togethername amount of time what happened

cutie (3 months) died of old age. had a stroke:(

chipper (3 months) died of old age. also had a stroke :)

lou (6 months) still alive.

chipper 2 (1 month and a half) died cuz broke neck jumping too much in cage.

fluffy (5 months) also still alive.
Strokes can occur in any age gerbils, and yours didn't die from old age. Gerbils live 3 to 5 years. Your guys were really young :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back