Girls!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got mine when I was 14.... It doesn't hurt for everyone, but some people can experience really bad periods... I'm usually curled up on my bed crying to myself unless I take some kind of aspirin for it! But most people don't have such bad pains like that... it's just pretty uncomfortable.

Got mine when I was 14.... It doesn't hurt for everyone, but some people can experience really bad periods... I'm usually curled up on my bed crying to myself unless I take some kind of aspirin for it! But most people don't have such bad pains like that... it's just pretty uncomfortable.
I get terrible pains too,That is why I was puking like crazy with terrible pains last week,My mum and auntie thought it was appendicitis B) But it was just period pains and sickness for some reason :huh:

I used hot water bottles and painkillers for my pains but when I get them the pain is soo bad I feel/am sick,Which is really weird :)

-fp

When you start
I heard you can start as early as 8 or 9, but you could also start as late as 15 or 16.  Most girls start in between, like 11 or 12.  It depends on  when your mom started, when  your older sister (If you have one, I don't have one because I'm the oldest but you might.) started. 
It doesn't depend so much on heredity. It depends more on fat content, which is the amount of fat on your body. A girl's fat content needs to be about or more than 22% before she can begin menstruating.

Like for me, because my mom started at 16 and she's really skinny. My older sister is kinda skinny and she started at 13. Whereas I'm on the opposite, kinda chubby and I started at age 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't depend so much on heredity. It depends more on fat content, which is the amount of fat on your body. A girl's fat content needs to be about or more than 22% before she can begin menstruating.
Like for me, because my mom started at 16 and she's really skinny. My older sister is kinda skinny and she started at 13. Whereas I'm on the opposite, kinda chubby and I started at age 12.
When you get discharge, does it mean you are aproachhing 22% Fat?

Camelle

I question where you got this information from! Can you show me some references for your information? Children start with a lot of "puppy fat" and if anything end up losing it as puberty approaches - hence the percentage is decreasing as they start to grow taller with more bones etc. The onset of puberty and menstruation is controlled by the pituitary gland not their fat percentage!

Were did you get that info from?!

*Edit - just trying to avoid a flame*

Hmm. I dunno. A person whom I am not friends with today who I used to hang with had a lot of issues with her period. She couldn't go on the depo provera shot because her cycle was almost non existant. Now I'm a big person nd so is she. Methinks also a diet could also effect your cycle. She was kinda trying to starve herself. Hard to tell with her...she liked a lot that's why I got away from her.

Ahhh.. to argue with a scientist... :( The keywords in that sentence are "to maintain" which means you do not require 22% fat content to begin menstruation, just to for it to be regular. :) This refers mostly to high level athletes who's %age of body fat is extraordinarily low because of the amount of training and exercise they do.

If you continued to read further in that same article, you would have found this:

Menarche is the culmination of a series of physiological and anatomic processes of puberty, described in more detail in that article:

Attainment of a sufficient body mass (typically 17% body fat PMID 3117838).

Disinhibition of the GnRH pulse generator in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus

Secretion of estrogen by the ovaries begins in response to pituitary hormones.

Over an interval of about 2 to 3 years, estrogen stimulates growth of the uterus (as well as height growth, breast growth, widening of the pelvis, and increased regional adipose tissue).

Estrogen stimulates growth and vascularity of the endometrium, the lining of the uterus.

Fluctuations of hormone levels can result in changes of adequacy of blood supply to parts of the endometrium.

Death of some of the endometrial tissue from these hormone or blood supply fluctuations leads to deciduation, a sloughing of part of the lining with some bleeding from the vagina.

A specific hormonal signal for menarche is not known; menarche as a discrete event is thought to be the relatively chance result of the gradual thickening of the endometrium induced by rising but fluctuating pubertal estrogen.
I will concede that body fat plays a role in the onset of menstruation however what we are talking about is a ratio rather than a magic number and it is definately not the key the start of menstruation! In fact, if you contine to read this 17% is related more to the growth of breast tissue than "body fat" by definition. There are a series of other factors (also listed later in that same article) which are far more crucial and the actual key defining moment to stimulate menarche is unknown!

When passing on information, it is important to get the whole picture before attempting to teach others. Reading only the introduction to an article is like trying to look at the world though a rolled up piece of paper - your view is very limited! :)

Hey Bell I was wondering, this always happens to me

About everytime there is a feild trip, or holiday, it seems I go thru my period. On my Epcot trip, I was going thru puberty, on my trip to the Florida Caverns I was going thru my period. And now its starting again! >.< Whats the matter?

Oh and when your body feels ready, thats when puberty finally begins. And the definition of puberty I found in a dictonary

Puberty: The point were sexual reproduction first becomes possible :/

Meowbark, in short, when you are going through times of stress or excitement it has an affect on your hormones. This can have one of two effects... either you get your period early at an inconvenient time (like those that you listed) or you will have your period late.

Myself, I am one who ends up with an early period and can identify with what you are saying! :(

Hey Bell I was wondering, this always happens to me
About everytime there is a feild trip, or holiday, it seems I go thru my period. On my Epcot trip, I was going thru puberty, on my trip to the Florida Caverns I was going thru my period. And now its starting again! >.< Whats the matter?

Oh and when your body feels ready, thats when puberty finally begins. And the definition of puberty I found in a dictonary

Puberty: The point were sexual reproduction first becomes possible :/
because you are most likly excited and stressed during those times. that somtimes causes it. :(

~Reanna

All girls have periods unless you get your overy taken out which is a gland used for reproduction. I don't think it has anything to do with getting it from family members or your fat, you just get it when you get it. If you muchure quickly then you get it sooner, and if you don't you'll get it soon. You don't really know when you get it but everybody will get it.

Hey I don't want to start anything, but I think we need to talk to our gaurdians about this. Not some woman we don't even know!

Hey I don't want to start anything, but I think we need to talk to our gaurdians about this. Not some woman we don't even know!
It's a guide aproved topic, and it's for people who don't feel comfortable about talking about their period to their parents, like me. :D

I am having horrible cramps for like one minute then they go away.

And I'm getting very emotional, I have been crying alot tonight.

So, you're saying this should be closed?

It shouldn't because this thread is an educational tool. If people don't want to post in this topic that's their choice. And if this were inappropriate this would be closed by now... it's been open for 7 months for goodness sake!

Ahhh.. to argue with a scientist... :huh: The keywords in that sentence are "to maintain" which means you do not require 22% fat content to begin menstruation, just to for it to be regular. :huh: This refers mostly to high level athletes who's %age of body fat is extraordinarily low because of the amount of training and exercise they do.
If you continued to read further in that same article, you would have found this:

I will concede that body fat plays a role in the onset of menstruation however what we are talking about is a ratio rather than a magic number and it is definately not the key the start of menstruation! In fact, if you contine to read this 17% is related more to the growth of breast tissue than "body fat" by definition. There are a series of other factors (also listed later in that same article) which are far more crucial and the actual key defining moment to stimulate menarche is unknown!

When passing on information, it is important to get the whole picture before attempting to teach others. Reading only the introduction to an article is like trying to look at the world though a rolled up piece of paper - your view is very limited! :huh:
Bell, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

Camelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back