"Grow up"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaPhantom

Reaction score
I have always loved Spongebob Squarepants. And why not? It's silly, immature and childish, and it's nice to watch occaisionally, after a bad day or just for the sake of it.

I know this seems a weird way to start the topic, but it does lead to something important. I was in biology today, and we were learning about the structure of plants in a little more detail, and our teacher mentioned the spongy mesophyll layer, and tried to explain it in a way which she felt the some of the people who didn't get it would understand. This is basically what happened:

Teacher: To give you an idea, you know Spongebob Squarepants?

Boy behind me: I'm 16 years old. Why would I watch Spongebob?

Me: Well, you can.

Boy: No.

Me: It's perfectly possible.

Teacher: Well, I don't know. Around the time it started my children were growing up and moving out, so... *insert reason for the comparison here*

A little later, I was in maths, and I heard a couple of boys, one from my maths class, giggling about it. They seem to think I should not have the right to watch a kid's cartoon for entertainment. Come on, I know people twice my age watching my little pony.

I feel that people should grow out of some things, but should not be made to for others unless they wish so. For example, growing out of wearing nappies and some habits from when they were younger, but still beng allowed to like Hello Kitty.

So, what do you think? Do you feel people should "grow out" of everything?

Tama :ph34r: Phantom

If I were to grow up, about 99.1% of all my earthly possessions would have to be thrown out. No kidding. The same goes for my mind. I'm not at all childish; you do not want to start a debate with me, because I guarantee you, you will lose. Still, my apartment is a shrine to the proverbial inner child. I have decorated it in all the colors of the rainbow, and I have framed some of the drawings I made in first grade, and some from middle school. I still love to draw cartoon characters, fanart as well as original art; though I've never been too big on anime. I would LOVE to sport decora outfits as well, but I am in my twenties. However, I do have a lot of decora accessories.

I don't think you should HAVE to "grow up." I'm not telling my age, but I'm a teenager, and I still have some of my stuffed animals and watch sponge bob.

Hmm... well let's see. I'm a grown up and have been for a long time. I have a kid of my own and everything!

My opinion on being an actual grown up? Well, don't do it! I even work at a place where the work is serious (because our lives are in constant peril) but the people there really aren't. For our own sanity, we can't be. You must know that men are annoying little boys on the inside and the best ones always will be. Just remember not to be boring and do something stupid like being a boring adult.

And yeah, I find SpongeBob to be a refreshing break. Umm, actually thinking on what I watch on TV, I prefer cartoons/anime over basically anything else.

Life is a fun journey. Don't forget that.

No you shouldn't. I miss the old day where I could just play pretend and dress up my barbies and stuff ): . I'm only 11 but people my age are just too judgemental. Heck, I don't mind watching Yo Gabba Gabba. And I find Spongebob good to watch, curling up on the couch with some toast on a rainy day :)

Don't do it... I act like a seven year old most of the time and I'm 13. I'm homeschooled so I'm not discriminated or whatever. I watch Spongebob all the time, except the new episodes... I also play Mario games and have stuffed animals (which I still play with every once in a while)... Heck, I even have an imaginary friend. (Omg! New topic idea! xD)

*edit: accidental double post. Please delete this post.*

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 12 years old and me and my friend cry every time we get a bruise, (we don't really cry we just pertend) and people call us weird! well maybe we are but we are still just kids, we can act that way if we wan't to. I still watch little bear and my little pony, i play with stuffed animals and image their my kids. So yeah i don't think growing up is an option for me

I don't think you have to grow up. If I HAD to grow up, my Tamagotchis and my many, many, MANY Bratz dolls would be thrown out. I went on this website once talking about a debate between Barbie and Bratz (only because I was looking at the picture) and people posted comments and I read that one person wrote "If you're 15 and still playing with Bratz dolls you should see a doctor or mental therapist" Well I happen to be 15 and I play with Bratz dolls. That's right. I'm a 15-year-old girl who plays with Tamagotchis and Bratz and also watches Spongebob. Yep. I'm not growing up anytime soon. That's optional! I'll probably be working with kids when I'm older anyway.

I have always loved Spongebob Squarepants. And why not? It's silly, immature and childish, and it's nice to watch occaisionally, after a bad day or just for the sake of it.

I know this seems a weird way to start the topic, but it does lead to something important. I was in biology today, and we were learning about the structure of plants in a little more detail, and our teacher mentioned the spongy mesophyll layer, and tried to explain it in a way which she felt the some of the people who didn't get it would understand. This is basically what happened:

Teacher: To give you an idea, you know Spongebob Squarepants?

Boy behind me: I'm 16 years old. Why would I watch Spongebob?

Me: Well, you can.

Boy: No.

Me: It's perfectly possible.

Teacher: Well, I don't know. Around the time it started my children were growing up and moving out, so... *insert reason for the comparison here*

A little later, I was in maths, and I heard a couple of boys, one from my maths class, giggling about it. They seem to think I should not have the right to watch a kid's cartoon for entertainment. Come on, I know people twice my age watching my little pony.

I feel that people should grow out of some things, but should not be made to for others unless they wish so. For example, growing out of wearing nappies and some habits from when they were younger, but still beng allowed to like Hello Kitty.

So, what do you think? Do you feel people should "grow out" of everything?

Tama :ph34r: Phantom
me too! i love watching spongebob!!!

You can be a perfectly mature person and still watch Spongebob. That doesn't mean that you're not grown up. It's a TV show! Don't let the other kids tell you what you should and shouldn't watch on TV. If you like it, who cares? A lot of older people watch Spongebob, I even like it. It's not like you're watching Dora or Blues Clues or something like that. Growing up doesn't mean watching only adult TV shows lol.

I still keep most of my 'babbyish' stuff, like my 'fairy' books, blanky, etc.

Some people thinks that certain things are uncool because they are 'babyish'. And also some people give up that stuff because people force them to. Din't give into peer pressure!!!! i.e. you may have grew up with certain things like...er....littlest pet shop and you still like them even though you are like 36. People 'grow out of things' because they just want people to think that they are really cool and just like them.

So these kids were laughing at you for watching Spongebob. I don't know if this is because I'm from Texas or what but where I live, no joke, the guys run around with the little kiddy backpacks from Wal-Mart with the Disney princesses, my little poney, Dora the explorer, and all of the other ridiculous kid shows you would think people my age would be embarrassed to be caught watching. And I'm eighteen years old.

I'm thinking these kids you speak of are just insecure and, in my opinion, far more immature for laughing at you for watching something that people of any age can enjoy. Shoot, I'm eighteen and I still watch the Disney channel. So what? xD

I love kiddy stuff.

I love stuffed animals,

hello kitty,

spongebob,

rugrats,

webkinz,

tamagotchi,

and anything cute, pink, and fuzzy!

But of course I never tell this stuff to my classmates.

Heck, sometimes I get out my old Barbies. Aha.

But i don't actually play with them, just brush their hair and make them slap other Barbies.

lol./

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS IS AMAZING. I WILL NEVER STOP WATCHING IT.

They're the immature ones for being bothered so much about what other people do.

When I was 12, I used to bring my Tamagotchis to school and people bullied me so much for it. I don't get why it's such a big deal though. There's certain ways in which people need to grow up and be mature, but there's no reason why older people can't like kids shows or childish stuff. How is that a problem whatsoever?

I'm 18 and where I'm from, that means I'm legally an adult.

That doesn't stop me from loving Spongebob, Mario, Kirby and Pokemon.

I have pet Caterpillars.

I love kids games like hide and go seek, and tip.

I know for a fact that there's some ways I'll never grow up.

I'm mature when I have to be. I can be serious. I'm a responsible person. I'm not extremely babyish or hyper for my age.

But If I see a jumping castle somewhere... I'M THERE.

I have a lot to say but most of it has been said already...so just to add: I am 25 years old and The Lion King is still my favorite movie..... There is a huge difference in being child-like and childish! And those kids in your class were definitely childish!

i watch spongeob and im 12, a friend told me that spongebob sucks well i kinda agree sometimes. spongebob CAN be annoying. also someone told me that south park is for little kids, well, he hasnt watched south park and doesnt know that its rated TV-MA (18+ Here in Canada)

my 16 year old frined still likes Barney o.0

Grow up? No way. I think anyone who forgets how to be a kid sometimes has failed at life. No one's gonna stop me from going on 'It's a Small World' at Disney World again and again. Mhm, that's right. Being a kid was the best part of all our lives. Why would we want to let go of that for good?

even though you have to grow up on the outside, you can always be as childish as you want

i am 11 years old, and i still do the things i did when i was 5! E.G. playing with my doll house, playing with dolls, watching some child tv shows etc... now at age 11, i am still the same 5 year old inside, but i have to start to realise changes on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back