Has pokemon gotten too ugly..?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I agree, and think pokemon are getting rather ugly....I cant complain. Pokemon isn't a game thats supposed to be ''cute and cuddly'', its a game about creatures fighting other creatures for their trainers as their trainers try to get all eight badges. Of course, they added in cute pokemon too to attract a younger audience but if you think about it, this is technically a FIGHTING game. There is obviously going to be some tough looking, ugly pokemon out there that you don't like. Just because some people find pokemon charcters hideous now, or simply ridiculous its not going to change. The reason pokemon are cute before evolution is because of two reasons; 1. They are weaker then their evolutions, so they are made cute and innocent. 2. They made this first wave of pokemon cute, to get younger people into the game. After this was done they began making tougher pokemon, and in some cases quite ugly ones too.

Just because pokemon aren't so cute anymore, doesn't mean the gameplay is any different. Did you ONLY play the game or watch the show because you thought the pokemon were so cute? That can be part of the reason why you like pokemon, but really.....its a growing show and you have to go with the flow. If not, thats your choice. Pokemon is always changing.

~TGD

Last edited by a moderator:
My sis has the game so I've never seen most of the Pokemon, but sometimes when I look over her shoulder I think instead of "they're so ugly! ugh!" "What thug on drugs named these poor creatures!" I think they have really poor names, like some guy on drugs just combined two random objects or sounds to make a name and plopped it down. Like, the names are about as good as Mopegg or Glassear. Or something weird like that. Like for instance, Drifblim. Where the heck did that come from? Honestly!

i think the pokemon torterra is pretty ugly but most of them are king of weired then ugly so ye thats what i think.

Tamagirl_Desy, pokemon is more of an RPG game. lol I hate how fighting sounds

Tamagirl_Desy, pokemon is more of an RPG game. lol I hate how fighting sounds
Perhaps, but even so fighting is involved. Fighting =Tough Tough= Ugly This may not always be true, but in alot of cases it is. :lol:

~TGD

Ugh. >.<'

I know how you feel. All the Pokemon characters got so ugly, Look at Chimchar, turtwig, shinx, starly and shellos, when they evolve All the pokemon seem to turn monster ugly when they evolve. And many more. All the pokemon turn monster ugly, I guess they ran out of ideas.. x_X

Last edited by a moderator:
...Like for instance, Drifblim. Where the heck did that come from? Honestly!
Drift + Blimp = Drifblim. It's a blimp-looking Pokemon that drifts in the skies. There is a point to the name.

Names have always been like this.... Bulbasaur... Bulb (the bulb/plant on its back) + Saur (dinosaur, as it looks like a reptile/amphibian)... The "a" is obviously there to smooth the name out.

Pokemon names have never been overly creative, they've always just sort of gone with what it look.

Glameow... Glamour + Meow (well, I assume Glamour). It's supposedly a pretty kitty, popular for contests.

I could go on... :lol:

Also, some of the names have more to do with the Japanese meanings (which I don't know too much about, check Wikipedia for that stuff).

@ Locky: "Monster ugly?" You do realize Pokemon stands for "Pocket Monsters," right? They're supposed to be monsters! And, if you think about it, ugly Pokemon fighting is better than cute ones... Cute ones you feel bad for when they faint. :p

Seriously, D/P is really good. I don't like every Pokemon, I never have, but they've done well and it's still stepping forward.

As much as I agree, and think pokemon are getting rather ugly....I cant complain. Pokemon isn't a game thats supposed to be ''cute and cuddly'', its a game about creatures fighting other creatures for their trainers as their trainers try to get all eight badges. Of course, they added in cute pokemon too to attract a younger audience but if you think about it, this is technically a FIGHTING game. There is obviously going to be some tough looking, ugly pokemon out there that you don't like. Just because some people find pokemon charcters hideous now, or simply ridiculous its not going to change. The reason pokemon are cute before evolution is because of two reasons; 1. They are weaker then their evolutions, so they are made cute and innocent. 2. They made this first wave of pokemon cute, to get younger people into the game. After this was done they began making tougher pokemon, and in some cases quite ugly ones too.
Just because pokemon aren't so cute anymore, doesn't mean the gameplay is any different. Did you ONLY play the game or watch the show because you thought the pokemon were so cute? That can be part of the reason why you like pokemon, but really.....its a growing show and you have to go with the flow. If not, thats your choice. Pokemon is always changing.

~TGD
That's a good point. The actual game should matter more than what the characters look like.

But for me, the visuals placed second in what matters in a game for me. Gameplay and story being first. :)

Plus, like I said earlier, I want to play this game to get a Cherrim. They're one of my favorites now.... ^^v

You do have a point. But have you seen Purugly!?

Yes, Pichu is usless, and so on. My brother has a Lv. 70 Delcatty it is soo weak. But Dragonite isn't really ugly.. But I have plenty of strong pokemon that don't really look ugly.

In fact the most ugly pokemon are kinda strong. Like Luxray, Infernape, Staravia, Roserad, and so on.

You do have a point. But have you seen Purugly!?
Yes, Pichu is usless, and so on. My brother has a Lv. 70 Delcatty it is soo weak. But Dragonite isn't really ugly.. But I have plenty of strong pokemon that don't really look ugly.

In fact the most ugly pokemon are kinda strong. Like Luxray, Infernape, Staravia, Roserad, and so on.
I like Purugly...

Delcatty isn't meant to be offensive, it's meant to be support with Heal Bell, etc. So, it may not be super strong, but it does have a purpose. Dragonite is a nice sweeper. B)

Luxray is all right... Infernape is popular (I hate the darned thing), Staraptor (not Staravia) is VERY nice to have, especially with U-Turn. Roserade is okay, but others can do its job better.

There's a tier list that breaks down what is considered an Uber (too strong for competitive play), Overused (which is what you use for competitive play), Underused, Borderline, and Never Used.

I suggest, to anyone that plans to play competitively, that you look up the tier list (I'm too lazy to get the link, but I go on Neoseeker or Smogon) and suggested movesets.

You have to remember, not every Pokemon is meant to sweep. Some are walls, tanks, annoyers, status inducers, rapid spinners, stealth rockers, baton passer, support/healers...

Obviously you can't have everything, but you can have a nice variety with a physical sweeper, a special sweeper, a tank, a stealth rocker (or spikes/toxic spikes), support/BPer, and a wall.

Yeah, I know too much and still not as much as some people. :)

I think in diamond and pearl they have REALLY ugly pokemon..... Does anyone agree with me??? Cause I think they deicided to make them a little too ugly.... I mean- Look at Piplup's evolution- First, he's a cute little penguin pokemon, now he's an ugly giant ridiculous fat bird. So is that fire thing..... And I don't know why they had to make the boy look ugly too- I don't really like the hat... I think they should have STOPPED making pokemon games like that at Ruby and Sapphire.... Cause I like the past generations better- I think they only spend 10 cents to buy cheap ideas for the ugly gross ridiculous diamond and pearl characters.... While Yellow, Blue and Red had these really good pokemon that was worth it..... The only good diamond and pearl ones were Pachirisu, Lucario, Riolu and the three starter pokemon at their first evoultion. Otherwise, all the new ones suck. Does anybody agree with me??
I drew a pokemon picture and put all of its stats but they didn't accpet it and do you know buziel?I looks EXACTLY like my drawing and to you know how its tail in the game spins?mine is supposed to do that too!They copied my idea!Evil pokemon people...

Some pokemon are cute and strong.

But not that many.

Piplup, prinplup, and empoleon are the ugliest birds they ever made...in my opinion.

I wouldn't call most of them ugly...But just weird. Kinda creepy but not exactly ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back