Homosexuality - what is your view?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And never, ever, say to a gay man/woman, that they can ditch being gay and be straight. If we could do that, why the hell would we go through a life of discrimination and hatred, just so we can have 'unnatural' sex and 'unnatural' love? If you aren't gay, how can you know, that we can turn away from being gay? You can't know that, so stop 'assuring' people that we can.
How do you feel about homosexuals that are now straight? Do you see it as a form of self-hate?

Personally, I believe homosexuality is a choice. When I say it, in itself, is a choice, I don't mean being predisposed towards liking your same gender (which I believe is developed at young ages, most likely without conscious consent), but, I mean, the sexual acting out of those desires.

I honestly have nothing against homosexuals :3

So what if a guy likes another guy? Their still people. It's not like their some horrible hideous thing...Same with girls liking other girls. Actually, in my opinion, some lesbians seem nicer than some boyfriend girlfriend couples. I know someone who's a lesbian and she's a really good friend! Also, my mom knows a gay couple who are also nice c: Like I said, I see nothing wrong with homos.. they seem just as normal to me as girlfriend boyfriend couples! Also, I feel kinda bad for them... some states don't allow gay or lesbian marriage, so the gay/lesbian couples can't ever become husband and husband or wife and wife.. :c And in my opinion, I think their unique because homosexuals like people of their gender, which different than others. But we need to except each other's differences :3

(I hope this made sense XD)

How do you feel about homosexuals that are now straight? Do you see it as a form of self-hate?
I once identified myself as straight. But then over time I realized that wasn't who I was. Homosexuality is unfortunately a bit trendy, and many identify themselves as so because of trend. These "homosexuals" who turned straight were never homosexual to begin with. Just like I wasn't straight to begin with. I didn't choose to be homosexual. I chose to be straight. The thing is, there are some things about yourself that you simply can't change by choice.

I can't help but "intervene" once again.

First of all, I consider Homosexuality something that can seem to happen naturaly because of the way you grew up. It's similar to someone who is brought up where cursing is alllowed, where lying is allowed or where anything else is allowed.

The consequences of this are that you can have a very hard time trying to stop cursing, to stop lying, etc...

The thing is, it's a habbit and habbits can be cery hard todeal with, especially if they're addictive as well. Yes, it's hard for these people, and a lot of the blame may be on their parents, friends, other people, but still they can choose to quit with it.

This is also what people have done. If you consider everybody who changes his sexyality back, not a "real one", or whatever you are wrong. I however do not deny that some people are like that.

And another thing people keep saying: "Did you choose to be straight? No, well why do you think we do." and stuff like that.

Well, I actually did choose it. I chose not to be gay, which means I chose to be straight.

I still can change to gay, if I really want, so you people can too.

Also, on a side note: The definition of wife and the defenition of husband are "Married woman who is cosidered to be in relation with her Husband" and "Married man who is considered to be in relationship with his wife" respectively. So ther can never be such a thing as wife and wife or husband and husband.

First of all, I consider Homosexuality something that can seem to happen naturaly because of the way you grew up. It's similar to someone who is brought up where cursing is alllowed, where lying is allowed or where anything else is allowed.

The consequences of this are that you can have a very hard time trying to stop cursing, to stop lying, etc...

The thing is, it's a habbit and habbits can be cery hard todeal with, especially if they're addictive as well. Yes, it's hard for these people, and a lot of the blame may be on their parents, friends, other people, but still they can choose to quit with it.

This is also what people have done. If you consider everybody who changes his sexyality back, not a "real one", or whatever you are wrong. I however do not deny that some people are like that.

And another thing people keep saying: "Did you choose to be straight? No, well why do you think we do." and stuff like that.

Well, I actually did choose it. I chose not to be gay, which means I chose to be straight.

Also, on a side note: The definition of wife and the defenition of husband are "Married woman who is cosidered to be in relation with her Husband" and "Married man who is considered to be in relationship with his wife" respectively. So ther can never be such a thing as wife and wife or husband and husband.
Well it's early in the morning and I'm gonna forget I made this post in about ten minutes so here I go

Of course What you're saying I can't and won't side with because I know I certainly did not choose to be a Lesbian, but even if I did, I'd have a hard time because of all those typos.

And the whole wife and husband thing? Load of crap. And if those are the definitions? Well, we can just make our own now, shall we?

Be glad I didn't go all out in this. I can even hold back early in the morning, mhm.

Why do you think homosexuality is a bad thing? It isn't physically or emotionally harmful (unless a homosexual couple choose to have some kind of unsafe sex that a heterosexual couple can also do), it doesn't break the law, it doesn't interfere with others' lives. Apart from your religion's rules (which I respect and I'm sure others do too), you haven't given a reason which we can't argue against for being against homosexuality.

Most people don't choose their sexuality. You might be an exception, but others on this topic probably aren't. Some people at school have told me they're not allowed a boyfriend until they're 16, but will that stop them potentially being attracted to boys before that age? No. If they could choose their sexuality, they would wait until the rule permits them to have a sexual relationship. Also, not everyone knows what sexuality is, so they can't exactly choose it.

Why do you think homosexuality is a bad thing? It isn't physically or emotionally harmful (unless a homosexual couple choose to have some kind of unsafe sex that a heterosexual couple can also do), it doesn't break the law, it doesn't interfere with others' lives. Apart from your religion's rules (which I respect and I'm sure others do too), you haven't given a reason which we can't argue against for being against homosexuality.

Most people don't choose their sexuality. You might be an exception, but others on this topic probably aren't. Some people at school have told me they're not allowed a boyfriend until they're 16, but will that stop them potentially being attracted to boys before that age? No. If they could choose their sexuality, they would wait until the rule permits them to have a sexual relationship. Also, not everyone knows what sexuality is, so they can't exactly choose it.
I'm pretty sure that all of my previous posts in this thread made it overly clear while I'm against it.(It couldn't hurt to read them again. :) )

I don't quite understand why anybody should be averse to another person's choice for who they love. If a man in, for example, Russia falls in love with another man from Kenya, what effect does that have on my life or yours? Absolutely none. I also feel that if there is such thing as god's will, or a fate predetermined by our past lives if that's what you believe instead, then that kind of power extends to deciding for us who it is that we will meet and fall in love with, and so gay people are not going against but rather going with god's will.

Personally I look forward to the day when it is simply a case of people being 'couples' rather than 'gay couples' and when it is not 'gay marriage' but just 'marriage' for everyone, no matter who it is between. At the moment there is a long way to go before homosexuals are treated as complete equals in society. If everyone was given the right to marry whoever they wanted tomorrow, the issue of what rights people have is resolved but there still exists the problem that they are singled out because society is only just beginning to accept the idea as a whole.

I would also like to write in reference to one of Stefan Bauwens' comments from a little while back regarding the HIV/AIDS issue. It's completely untrue that anal or gay sex scientifically causes a greater spread of any kind of STD than sex between a man and a woman. Yes, in the 80s people thought that AIDS was a 'gay' disease as at that time more gay people had it than heterosexuals, but that was because at that time the most commonly used form of birth control was a condom . Meanwhile, gay people didn't think they needed to use them because there's obviously no danger of unwanted pregnancy. These days, there are an equal number of heterosexual people with HIV and AIDS because since then the pill has become widely available, and a more trusted method of birth control, and so people don't think to use them so much anymore.

Therefore I lead onto another one of your points, stating that if gay people need to use a condom to avoid the spread of disease, then it's 'unnatural'- in which case, so is heterosexual sex because really a man should be using them even if his girlfriend/wife is on the pill to avoid infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting how so many members are keen to claim that they (and therefore the rest of us) should be tolerant of other lifestyles and beliefs - but find it so difficult to deal with and accept someone who doesn't support homosexuality - even if that particular person is not in any way harming anyone by their belief/opinion.

In other threads I have seen members falling over themselves to post about how they are not religious themselves but totally respect other peoples' religious beliefs.

Maybe some of us need to re-think if we really do mean it when we claim to respect another persons right to live and believe what they want - even if it is something that we can't or don't agree with - rather than spend so much time trying to prove that we are in the right and the other person has got it wrong?

(btw I freely admit to the fact that I like to consider both perspectives, I like to play "devil's advocate" and I like to give people something to think about) ;)

I don't quite understand why anybody should be averse to another person's choice for who they love. If a man in, for example, Russia falls in love with another man from Kenya, what effect does that have on my life or yours? Absolutely none. I also feel that if there is such thing as god's will, or a fate predetermined by our past lives if that's what you believe instead, then that kind of power extends to deciding for us who it is that we will meet and fall in love with, and so gay people are not going against but rather going with god's will.

Personally I look forward to the day when it is simply a case of people being 'couples' rather than 'gay couples' and when it is not 'gay marriage' but just 'marriage' for everyone, no matter who it is between. At the moment there is a long way to go before homosexuals are treated as complete equals in society. If everyone was given the right to marry whoever they wanted tomorrow, the issue of what rights people have is resolved but there still exists the problem that they are singled out because society is only just beginning to accept the idea as a whole.

I would also like to write in reference to one of Stefan Bauwens' comments from a little while back regarding the HIV/AIDS issue. It's completely untrue that anal or gay sex scientifically causes a greater spread of any kind of STD than sex between a man and a woman. Yes, in the 80s people thought that AIDS was a 'gay' disease as at that time more gay people had it than heterosexuals, but that was because at that time the most commonly used form of birth control was a condom . Meanwhile, gay people didn't think they needed to use them because there's obviously no danger of unwanted pregnancy. These days, there are an equal number of heterosexual people with HIV and AIDS because since then the pill has become widely available, and a more trusted method of birth control, and so people don't think to use them so much anymore.

Therefore I lead onto another one of your points, stating that if gay people need to use a condom to avoid the spread of disease, then it's 'unnatural'- in which case, so is heterosexual sex because really a man should be using them even if his girlfriend/wife is on the pill to avoid infection.
Erm, who told you that today it's equal? This site, which I rightly so, take more serious than your word tells something totally else: https://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/statistics/

Those are facts. Condoms, and that sort may lower the chances, yes. But it makes those results just more "scary" for that reason.

Perhaps it's because I live in the UK and the figures are different, because here the numbers are drawing level with each other. It would take some time given that it was incredibly imbalanced in previous decades for the reasons I already mentioned.

I just wanted to make the point that it's not gay sex that causes the spread of STDs, it's unprotected sex- which gay people are more likely to have because people still generally see condoms as for birth control.

I don't mind what you believe about gay people based on any religious beliefs you have, or anything else of that sort, because it's individual and everybody has their reasons. I cannot say that one opinion on the morality of it is wrong or right, and a lot of the things you have said you have justified perfectly for yourself and nobody can argue against them without being repressive against your own views.

However I think it's fair for me to say that it is wrong for anybody to suggest that HIV/AIDS is a gay disease, because science tells us that it is not. The disease is most prevalent in Africa- where the vast majority of people are in heterosexual relationships because of cultural beliefs that are generally not accepting of gay people there- than anywhere else in the world because of a lack of education on the prevention of STDs.

Like I said in this post( https://www.tamatalk....60#entry3208298 ), I still find it immoral.

They'll still lust probably after eachother, I guess. And someone who lusts over someone has in my eyes actually had sex in his mind with a certain person.

And I'm against lust(after someone who is not your wife/husband) in general.

But this will probably be anyway the exception, since I think the main reason someone becomes gay is to have sex/lust with eachother. But several things show this is not what we were made for:
If you say that of homosexuals, it must too be true of heterosexuals. If falling in love is merely lust, what's the point?

I understand that you find homosexuality disturbing and unnatural, not everyone finds it kosher. But please realize that some other people are not bothered by it, even if they themselves are not homosexual. ;)

Erm, who told you that today it's equal? This site, which I rightly so, take more serious than your word tells something totally else: https://aids.gov/hiv-...101/statistics/

Those are facts. Condoms, and that sort may lower the chances, yes. But it makes those results just more "scary" for that reason.
I also find it worth mentioning that the statistics say gay MEN have the highest occurrence of AIDS, and as kerfuffle mentioned, this isn't necessarily because of the nature of the sexual act, but because of the lack of contraception used among them, compared to heterosexuals who use contraception to avoid pregnancy and AIDS.

Lesbian (homosexual) women have the lowest occurrence of AIDS, actually. See this link, which I found at the bottom of the webpage you linked to: https://www.cdc.gov/h...tsheets/wsw.htm

{Please take note that these statistics are for the US only, the page Stefan linked to included. What Kerfuffle mentioned is that the rates of AIDS (homosexual as opposed to heterosexual) are stabilizing in the UK.}

I once identified myself as straight. But then over time I realized that wasn't who I was. Homosexuality is unfortunately a bit trendy, and many identify themselves as so because of trend. These "homosexuals" who turned straight were never homosexual to begin with. Just like I wasn't straight to begin with. I didn't choose to be homosexual. I chose to be straight. The thing is, there are some things about yourself that you simply can't change by choice.
I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding - because you realized that over time you weren't straight, they means that someone can't be make and then make the conscious decision to be straight? Sexual attraction & love, though two different things they may be, are, at the end of the day, a great symphony of chemical balances.

Why can't someone choose to be straight anymore than you chose to be gay? (and by chose, I meant chose to act upon your homosexual feelings)

I find it interesting how so many members are keen to claim that they (and therefore the rest of us) should be tolerant of other lifestyles and beliefs - but find it so difficult to deal with and accept someone who doesn't support homosexuality - even if that particular person is not in any way harming anyone by their belief/opinion.

In other threads I have seen members falling over themselves to post about how they are not religious themselves but totally respect other peoples' religious beliefs.

Maybe some of us need to re-think if we really do mean it when we claim to respect another persons right to live and believe what they want - even if it is something that we can't or don't agree with - rather than spend so much time trying to prove that we are in the right and the other person has got it wrong?

(btw I freely admit to the fact that I like to consider both perspectives, I like to play "devil's advocate" and I like to give people something to think about) ;)
I think we find it hard because homosexuality was frowned upon for decades and still is, and we are trying as much as we can to push forward equality and acceptance in today's society. An atheist can respect a religious person and vice versa because their beliefs are not of judgement or discrimination.

It's trickier to be respectful to people that are against homosexuality because you have a person or persons telling you that your life a choice, when in reality you cannot change who you are. I am aware that people think homosexuality is wrong and that it is a choice, and I think I'm doing a good job at being mature about it, but I won't respect their beliefs. Sometimes, for change to happen in this world, we can't respect everybody's beliefs.

Hmm, well personally it makes me uncomfortable sort of. I know a couple people that are gay but it's just a bit awkward for me. I don't hate gays or anything. I think it may have to do with the way I was raised. Gay men do not make me feel as awkward as gay women though ( that may be because I am a women myself). As for their marriage rights, I am basically neutral. It doesn't directly affect me or my family so I don't really think I should have a say on that.

I would just like to say how glad I am that the UK government has voted in favour of legalising gay marriage today. That said I think it's important that not all churches are forced to marry gay couples- yes, society is changing and becoming more accepting, but we still have to respect the views of others (and it also works both ways- I know I wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't agree with what I'm doing). However the fact that the churches that are willing to can now do so is fantastic.

This question is food for thought, I think - if push came to shove, would the church prefer to marry a gay couple who stayed together forever and were faithful to each other or a man and a woman whose marriage lasts for only a few months (or, for example, in extreme cases like some celebrities, a matter of hours)? It's clear which one adheres more to appreciating the sanctity of marriage, but obviously it's not that simple.

Just want to quickly jump in here to throw my stone into the pool of knowledge.

Okay, I'm sure that you can agree that there are different people. There are those who are black, some who are white, some who are fat, skinny, tall, short, gay, straight, American, English, French, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Agnostic etc. etc.etc.

What makes a person in France different from a person in America? Where they came from.

What makes a Tall person different from a short person? Size.

What makes a gay person different from a Straight person? Who they like.

But what's the one noun that all of these sentences have? People.

That's right. To some this may be a shocker, and to others this may be second-nature, but they are ALL PEOPLE!!!

In the beginning, we call came from the same Star that supernovaed and scattered its elements over the cosmos, creating the Earth and us, and in the end we will all be the same dust elements scattered once again.

I want to say this here: I don't really care what you think. If you want to believe that All Gay people are going to be punished, that's okay to believe that. However, as soon as you start expressing that insultingy, that's where it crosses a line.

Now, onto the facts:

Those who are Gay, Lesbian, Bi, or Transsexual are people, however homosexuality is far from "normal." Before you start hating me, hear me out.

The instinct of every Multi-cellular creature is reproduction, correct? That means one male and one female mating. However, two of the same gender cannot breed, and therefore defy Nature's original Intentions. Homosexuality itself is an abnormality and occurs very rarely in other species, however it is nowhere near immoral or disgusting. People who are Homosexual are people, just as all cats are cats and all horses are horses. However, homosexuality does not match with instinct, and therefore is not "normal," however the people who fall under the category of gay or lesbian are just people.

My rant has ended. My stone has fallen.

Just want to quickly jump in here to throw my stone into the pool of knowledge.

Okay, I'm sure that you can agree that there are different people. There are those who are black, some who are white, some who are fat, skinny, tall, short, gay, straight, American, English, French, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Agnostic etc. etc.etc.

What makes a person in France different from a person in America? Where they came from.

What makes a Tall person different from a short person? Size.

What makes a gay person different from a Straight person? Who they like.

But what's the one noun that all of these sentences have? People.

That's right. To some this may be a shocker, and to others this may be second-nature, but they are ALL PEOPLE!!!

In the beginning, we call came from the same Star that supernovaed and scattered its elements over the cosmos, creating the Earth and us, and in the end we will all be the same dust elements scattered once again.

I want to say this here: I don't really care what you think. If you want to believe that All Gay people are going to be punished, that's okay to believe that. However, as soon as you start expressing that insultingy, that's where it crosses a line.

Now, onto the facts:

Those who are Gay, Lesbian, Bi, or Transsexual are people, however homosexuality is far from "normal." Before you start hating me, hear me out.

The instinct of every Multi-cellular creature is reproduction, correct? That means one male and one female mating. However, two of the same gender cannot breed, and therefore defy Nature's original Intentions. Homosexuality itself is an abnormality and occurs very rarely in other species, however it is nowhere near immoral or disgusting. People who are Homosexual are people, just as all cats are cats and all horses are horses. However, homosexuality does not match with instinct, and therefore is not "normal," however the people who fall under the category of gay or lesbian are just people.

My rant has ended. My stone has fallen.
I just wanna +1 everything here.

I want to say this here: I don't really care what you think. If you want to believe that All Gay people are going to be punished, that's okay to believe that. However, as soon as you start expressing that insultingly, that's where it crosses a line.
i'm not sure if you're just saying this in terms applying to all people or if you're relating this to people in this topic, but no one is expressing their beliefs insultingly? they're just voicing their opinion?? i do suppose i agree though.

you're also sort of contradicting yourself. if you say you don't care what others think, then you don't care. obviously you do care if you feel the need to explain your thoughts and you get upset if someone insults gays.

but great post though!! v u v

i'm not sure if i've said this before, but one of the only problems i have with gays are the "gay parades" that they throw. i honestly think it's ridiculous to go around almost butt naked showing that you're a homosexual. and believe me, this happens a lot. i really do not want to see that, at all. i don't care if you're showing your pride, that makes me very uncomfortable.

also when people flaunt their homosexuality like having a pin or something that stands out to show you're gay. honestly?? again, i really don't care if you're gay or not. if i get to know you i'll find out for myself.

those are the only things that turn me away from homosexuals!!

i'll just patiently wait here and watch this topic because after the numerous amounts of posts i've made, people are STILL trying to prove each other wrong about homosexuals. calm your booties down and just discuss like mature people. you're not changing anyones opinion here.

i'm not sure if you're just saying this in terms applying to all people or if you're relating this to people in this topic, but no one is expressing their beliefs insultingly? they're just voicing their opinion?? i do suppose i agree though.

you're also sort of contradicting yourself. if you say you don't care what others think, then you don't care. obviously you do care if you feel the need to explain your thoughts and you get upset if someone insults gays.

but great post though!! v u v

i'm not sure if i've said this before, but one of the only problems i have with gays are the "gay parades" that they throw. i honestly think it's ridiculous to go around almost butt naked showing that you're a homosexual. and believe me, this happens a lot. i really do not want to see that, at all. i don't care if you're showing your pride, that makes me very uncomfortable.

also when people flaunt their homosexuality like having a pin or something that stands out to show you're gay. honestly?? again, i really don't care if you're gay or not. if i get to know you i'll find out for myself.

those are the only things that turn me away from homosexuals!!

i'll just patiently wait here and watch this topic because after the numerous amounts of posts i've made, people are STILL trying to prove each other wrong about homosexuals. calm your booties down and just discuss like mature people. you're not changing anyones opinion here.
Agreed. :D

Some gays do flaunt their sexuality or use it as an identifier, or have parades, etc. But this definitely does not reflect all gays, and I'm sure it annoys that vast amount of gays who choose not to force their sexuality upon others.

I think it's fine if someone says, "I'm gay," or "I'm straight," but not if they show off the fact that they are gay or straight. That's pretty rude and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back