How do you handle death?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaGirliey

Reaction score
Simple topic.

How do you handle death? This can either mean do you handle death well, or not so well, or it can mean what do you do to get over a death?

I'm curious, since my cat passed away today, and I need some advice on how to get over it, because another one of my cats died a few years ago, and I'm still not over even that.

I don't really think you can get over death, the best you can do is accept it.

Even though your cat wasn't forever, your memories with her are. She was given a time of birth and a time of death, and unfortunately, that day was her day to go. She served her purpose of Earth as your pet, and she completed her mission to make you happy.

I don't handle death very well. When my cat died, I was probably still crying off and on 3 weeks after. I just learned to accept Pumpkin wouldn't be seen by me anymore, until I reach heaven (If I do reach heaven).

Last edited by a moderator:
my iguana dies like a mounth ago and i got another one.....and it died in like a week because it wouldnt eat.but i can handle death because i know every thing that takes form eventualy goes away......or dies

I don't think you really "get over" any death. But there are plenty of things you can do to handle it better.

Focus on the good things about your cat - was it happy, did it love you, did it live a carefree life? If the answer is yes, then don't regret it.

Sometimes it is more difficult to watch a loved pet get old and poorly and unable to look after itself and lose interest in life.

Sadly, most pets don't live as long as we do and we do have to accept that one day they will be gone from our lives - but as RachelGotchi says, if you have good memories, then they can comfort you and help you handle loss.

I'm a very emotional person, and I know that I would need alot of comforting to get through the tragedy of death.

What helps me is knowing that I am a Christian, and that God will be with me all the way.

I really should be an expert at handling death, I've had tons of experiences with it. Three grandparents, a cat, a hamster, three lizards, a gerbil and the most recent and hardest moment of my life so far - my dad dying. However, it seems like I haven't really got better at handling it. I have frequent crying outbreaks about my dad (I'm a little teary-eyed now as I type this) but I do have some suggestions for you. First off, many people reccomend "thinking of the good times you had with that person/pet." I don't know about you, but that just makes me feel worse. You might want to try it though. The sadness inside you of losing a loved one is never truly gone, but for me, at least, doing something to tke your mind off it works wonders. For example, do chores, play video games, read a book, watch TV, go outside, play with some friends, etc. If you can temporarily do something enjoyable (or even something not enjoyable but gets your mind off your cat) it will make you happier. If ever you seem to be totally under pressure, BREATH. Take a few deep breaths. Calm down and find something you can do to take your mind off it. You will have periods where you absolutely sob and sob and periods where you just feel completely happy and aren't crying at all. Remember, it's okay to cry. It's also okay to have the happy carefree periods - don't think that you aren't showing affection for the person or pet by not crying or being sad. Your cat would want you to be happy. :eek: If you're Christian or another religion, you can "talk" to that person or pet, or pray for them. I pray for my dad all the time. ;) Finally, don't be afraid to talk to someone. Parents or friends can help you feel better and give you additional suggestions. Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, you told me about that. Again, I'm really sorry. :eek:

I guess you just have to think positive. ;) What about all the good times you had together?

To answer your direct question, How I deal with Death... I can handle it eventually. But it's that moment, when you get told.. I remember the day my guinea pig died. I had a regular day at school, walked out to the car smiling. I got in, and we started driving home. I knew the car was too quiet. But when we got inside my mom told me that my guinea pig, Cookie, who I'd had for years, had passed away while I was at school. There's just a moment where you're stunned, you don't really believe what you're hearing, and then it sets in. And it's okay to let it out. I cryed histarically for two days. I still haven't gone to her grave. But, you know, life went on. Now it's months after it happened, and I'm fine thinking about it, because I've accepted it.

Remembering the good times, for me, doesn't make things much better. It just makes me miss her more. But if it helps you, it's a good thing. Just emphasize that it was her time to go, that she is in a better place somewhere, and she loves you still, just as much as she had when she was still with you. Taking your mind off it isn't a bad thing; Don't feel guilty for going out and doing something fun, that you enjoy.

♥~RAWR!

How to handle death...hmm. Well i dont really think theres a Right answer for that, everyone has their way of handling the loss of a loved one, be it family, friend or pet. Some people Cry until theres no tears left, Some hold all their greif inside. Others Find Guidance/support in Counselors,the priest at a church,prayer,and other things. Everyone greives differently, I, personally, held my grief in when my dad died. I never really had a pet that died cause the only pet i had that died was a few puppies, but i was only 6 months old when they died.

Even though your cat wasn't forever, your memories with her are. She was given a time of birth and a time of death, and unfortunately, that day was her day to go. She served her purpose of Earth as your pet, and she completed her mission to make you happy.
*nods*

That's so true.

Here are a few things that might make accpeting it easier:

• Don't be afraid to cry- there's nothing wrong in that. Holding it all in is really, really hard, so just let it go. It'll be alot easier after.

• Celebrate your cat's life- instead of dwelling on he/she's gone, remeber what your cat did for you. Maybe you can grab a couple friends and go do something that is fun for all of you. Whether it be a moive, lunch somewhere, or just hanging out, your cat wouldn't want you to be sad, he/she would want you to do things you enjoy.

• Express your feelings somehow- if you like to draw, draw something involving your cat, how he/she helped you, your favorite moments with him/her, that kind of thing. If you like to compose music, create a song about him/her. Drawing, singing, making a collage, writing a poem, and making a mini-movie, are just a couple of way to honor and remember your cat.

• Talk to someone about it- I know I have trouble and don't take my own advice in this case, but talk to someone about it. Grab your mom, dad, or a friend- someone willing to listen- and just tell what's on your mind. For me it's really hard to tell people my problems but once I do it's so much better. Just open up to them.

Without death, we could never fully appreciate life to the fullest.

Crying always helps me, I kind of always feel better after a good cry or talking to someone. Because my Nan & Grandad & Uncle have all died I'd like to think they've been recarnated into something else. Death worries me because I'd just want to know my relatives are safe, Yeah I know I worry to much!

I don't handle death very well. When my cat died, I was probably still crying off and on 3 weeks after. I just learned to accept Pumpkin wouldn't be seen by me anymore, until I reach heaven (If I do reach heaven).
I agree. To accept and heal over a loss is more a way to go than to try to get over it fast. I think the healing process takes longer when you're closest to someone. My cat Max I had since I was 6 years old and in 2003 in November he dissapeared. I was devastated. He was my first best friend and even after almost 4 years I miss him terribly. But I live and can function normally. Plus he is succeeded by my remaining 3 kitties and a yellow lab.

Just remember crying and being on your own is okay, and asking for support from people you trust is alright too. Bottling any emotions up and trying to get a quick fix will not do you good in the long run.

How do I handle death.....I run

I see death all the time - my depressing tradagy....I run and I hide until the skys clear :huh: :) sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back