I want to learn Kanji

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickkannel

Reaction score
So I am an anime and manga fan. And I love the japanese culture. So on top of that and getting new Japanese tamas I would like to learn how to somewhat read kanji so I could simply understand it. It would help a lot while playing with tamas. So I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions as far as books or websites that could help me do this.

My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS

Best tool I've used.

Also: start with kana. Kanji is the evil of evils.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am an anime and manga fan. And I love the japanese culture. So on top of that and getting new Japanese tamas I would like to learn how to somewhat read kanji so I could simply understand it. It would help a lot while playing with tamas. So I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions as far as books or websites that could help me do this.

Japanese has three writing systems: Hiragana, katakana, and kanji. You will need all of these to successfully learn Japanese. (Do you already know the first two?) Barnes & Noble is a great place to go for learning tools on all three :blink: I've gone there myself for workbooks.

My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS

Best tool I've used.

Also: start with kana. Kanji is the evil of evils.
Oh, no. No, no, no no no. The GRAMMAR is the evil of evils. Kanji is just Chinese. Also, the DS game is really expensive, where I have looked it costed $60+!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't know any of it. I took a year of Chinese last year. But thats not applicable really. Haha.

Glad everything's working out for you :) Have fun with Japanese! :lol:

I've been using a book to study my Katakana and Hiragana - it's called kana can be easy. It's kinda silly and kidish, but that and making flash cards to take with me on drives and train rides really is working. Start with like Katakana, then add Hiragana to it - The book goes over both. :)

I have a Japanese to English dictionary too so that I can look up words after I've sounded them out. I try to learn a new word each day or so as well. The Tamas really do help to motivate you to learn some words! But some of the writing on them is sometimes hard to read, just keep trying! :D

Good luck!!!!

-Purn

Oh, the app store is WONDERFUL! I just got an iPod (I know you probably already have the stuff we chatted about, just wanted to add to it)

I have three apps that really are amazing and FREE.

They are called Hiragana (actually for both H&K, just like flash cards), Japanese (Teaches Kanji) and Kotaba (Better than any dictionary).

These are the best apps, the others are all suckish! (I've tried, and my friend is also learning Jap. and has bought apps)

If you want to understand your tamas, learn hiragana first, and then katakana. It's mostly hiragana on tamas, but there's also some katakana. I still haven't completely learned katakana yet, but i know hiragana. Learn kanji when you've mastered those two. Kanji is quite difficult.

The grammar isn't really that bad, it's just a lot different from English. approach it with an open mind and you will find it to be quite easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back