I'm so angry right now.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongeboby

Reaction score
Two nights ago, I drew a comic with my new characters. Well, yesterday I wanted my mom and dad to see it. I was really happy with it. I was just a little nervous because it had a drug reference in it. eg. "was your friend high when she said that?". It was already lined in permenent marker. When I showed it to my mom, she was like "HIGH?! What?! Change this." Well, I couldn't because it was already lined, so I decided just to post it on deviantart later. When she saw I was posting it, she was like, "That better have been changed before you post it on there." I said "no, it was already lined so I couldn't. So she said, "well I'm not letting you post it because "high" is not an appropriate word for a 13 year old to post in her art. So basically, she made me throw it out. And my dad really wanted to see it, but couldn't cuz it was in the garbage, and now, and he wouldn't of cared if it said the word hi.

Oh yea, she came after me for the word high, but she didn't say a thing when it said the d word at the end. :eek:

This sucks. :eek:

Was your mother high when she overreacted? :eek:

In all seriousness, you really should talk to her. "High" is not a bad term and IT'S JUST A COMIC. If your mom can't lighten up and take a joke then I wouldn't be showing her a comic.

...I don't know what else to say other than that is a bit ridiculous.

Was your mother high when she overreacted? :eek:
In all seriousness, you really should talk to her. "High" is not a bad term and IT'S JUST A COMIC. If your mom can't lighten up and take a joke then I wouldn't be showing her a comic.

...I don't know what else to say other than that is a bit ridiculous.
I agree with MsKitty ^.^

my mom overreacts too much aswell. i can't talk to her about it or else she'll bombard me with at least 20 reasons why what i said is "evil". one time, i said "i'd kill for something" and she starts mimicing me in a sarcastic tone, then when i tell her it's just a joke, she says "i don't care, a 13 year old shouldn't be saying things like that." just like your mom did. adults need to lighten up, because face it, kids talk like that now.

so...she got upset over the word high? but not over the d word...my mom over reacts too...she wont let me stand @ the bus stop alone when you can see the stop from my house! heres what my mom thinks..."jenny, you are alwas gonna be my smiley girl" wich is parent talk for your gonna be 5 untill your 25. so i cant say things like...kill...die...etc.

Here a few topics I want to discuss. Please Pick which one you want to look at and read the paragraph underneath:

1. Talk to Your Mom so they'll understand

2. Deal with Overprotective Mom

3. Discuss Important Issues With Your Mom

4. Earn Your Mom's Trust

1. Talk to Your Mom so they'll understand:

Find a time to talk when your parent is not doing something else, like dishes. Otherwise, their mind may be elsewhere and they probably will get irritated.Say what you want to say as briefly and as calmly as possible. "You told me that I can't go to the movies this weekend." This statement should explain what you want and when you want it. State what you want. "I want to know why I can't go out. I don't understand why you said I can't." Keep your voice steady, not raised or excited. Avoid complaining or whining. You hate hearing it; so do they.

2. Deal with Overprotective Mom:

Find out which time your mom is more lenient, and always work to bring him or her over to your point of view before asking for something from the other parent. For example, if you want to go to make another comic, and you know your mom is more relaxed about it, persuade her first, then she will be on your side when you talk to your dad. Know your mom's weaknesses. Use them to your benefit. Realize that sometimes, your mom really knows best. Don't expect your mom's attitudes to change overnight. Slowly build her trust, and stick to the rules that you've both agreed on. Your mom will realise that they can trust you to be responsible and start giving you more freedom without you even having to ask!

3. Discuss Important Issues With Your Mom:

Act like an adult. Use proper grammar and keep a calm tone of voice. Plan your whole speech. Go over it again and again in your head. It still probably won't come out that way when it comes down to it, but at least you'll have an outline to follow. Do your homework. You know your parents better than anyone. If you have an idea of how they will react, make sure you already know what you will say in response. This will keep you from getting flustered and saying something that will make things worse. Stay calm, be professional, and tell the truth.

4. Earn your Mom's trust

If you have something to discuss with your mom, make sure that you get it out and tell them. It's all about give and take; if you trust them not to overreact, they will trust you to let them know what you're really doing. Don't give up on communication and you can help create an environment that supports a trusting relationship. You need to give your mom's respect and they should do the same for you.

Hope these points work

:lol: :p

I think she did overreact. However I can see her point of view because normalizing illegal drug use is not especially a cool thing to do. So I suppose I am stuck in the middle.

Maybe she should have just given you 'the look' and left it at that.

...It's just an expression. People have been using the phrase "are you high?" instead of "are you kidding?" for a while now, it's not new... So why the heck she's freaking out is beyond me.

Mothra: "...because normalizing illegal drug use is not especially a cool thing to do."

Marijuana might not be illegal for too many more years, in all actuality. I'm surprised it still is illegal, honestly.

She did overreact.

I'm wondering why she didn't get mad for the d word, but got mad for the word high... :/

Thats odd. =/ Didn't get mad for the d word, but did for 'high'?

Thats real dumb, you should show your responisbility, or try to explain that it's a saying. If she's anything like mine, she won't listen. My mom is the same way.

Rule of a thumb- if you are worried about your parents seeing or hearing about it, don't do it. Well, at least in this case [not every case but alot].

You KNEW that she would probably say something about it so why would you even put it in there?

What's with all this 'she overreacted' and 'how dumb is that' stuff? You aren't here mom and even if she did overreact it doesn't matter now does it. You can't change what's been done so just make sure to not do it again. If it happens again don't argue with her but offer to either white out or cut out another piece of paper to go over it.

Haha, my dad overacted when I said "He just screwed himself." He said that screwed isn't a nice word to say. So now that you've learned your lesson, I suggest you not put that stuff in your comics anymore if you know that your parents don't like it. She is your mom and you have to respec ther decisions.

My parents overreact, too. They don't like my boyfriend just because he is 19. I'll be 18 next year though, so they can't really say anything. Your mom really overrreacted. It's just a phrase, and it's not promoting drug use.

My parents overreacted when I needed help on a math problem. My mom blew it way out of porportion and she thought I was going to fail the course because I was having trouble and obviously I'm not trying hard enough and I'm of course the ONLY ONE struggling on such EASY material (when over seventy-five percent of the class also was having trouble with that particular problem), I should get a tutor, etc. I was thinking, "well, maybe I just shouldn't ask you for help then."

:\ They're your parents. They feed you and let you leech off them for eighteen years. The least you could do is respect their house rules.

It's just a comic. I think you're overreacting, too.

:\ They're your parents. They feed you and let you leech off them for eighteen years. The least you could do is respect their house rules.
It's just a comic. I think you're overreacting, too.
I think you're full of crap.

Not all parents let you "leech off of them," some (such as my mother) still expect YOU to be THEIR slave. Pretty much after my mom got remarried and had my half-siblings (a brother and a sister), I became the outcast. My mom bought plenty for my siblings and got pi**ed when I needed new school clothes, school supplies, or on rare occasions asked for something leisurely. And, 18 years? I moved out 7+ months ago when I was still 17. :( I'm just a bit offended that you generalize peoples' situations.

And, to this person it's not just a comic. I love to draw, too (although I lack the attention span to make a storyline for a comic) and I understand how a drawing, or in this case a comic, can mean a lot to you. They put a lot of effort into it, they were proud of it, and wanted to share their accomplishment with their mom (and dad). I think if you spent ages making something from scratch, only to have someone (even your parent) come along and ruin it completely for you... You'd be pretty pi**ed off.

@ Original Poster: If your mom's like mine, talking to her won't help, so I'd say take the advice of a few others--don't show her your work. Share it with a close friend or someone that understands you. You can try talking to your mom, but I've been through plenty of "trying to impress your mother" to no avail and it hurts every time. I wouldn't risk getting your work ruined again.

[/rant] ;)

A bit of an overeaction Im 12 ,luv drawing but havent got ideas for comics, and (actually i was 11 then) my

doesnt mind me reading very graphic and violent comics(JTHM and lenore!they rock) and watching stuff that has sexual inneundo in it.

I think you're full of crap.
Not all parents let you "leech off of them," some (such as my mother) still expect YOU to be THEIR slave. Pretty much after my mom got remarried and had my half-siblings (a brother and a sister), I became the outcast. My mom bought plenty for my siblings and got pi**ed when I needed new school clothes, school supplies, or on rare occasions asked for something leisurely. And, 18 years? I moved out 7+ months ago when I was still 17. ;) I'm just a bit offended that you generalize peoples' situations.
Poor you!why does child hood really suck for some people?I live with my grandad i luv him but he gets really mardy sometimes :( esoecially at christmas cus 8 years ago his wife died on(thus was awfull for me at 4 and all i rember from that day was being toldd my wonderful gran had died)boxing day the day after xmas and he still cant move on.

back on topic now:

why dont you speak to your dad(your dad doesnt seem to mind)and ask him to have a word with your mum a bout this?She probably doesnt want accept that your more wordly aware and she may be worried that if you know about it you might do it.Just being protective that all :eek: let her know that you apreciate that.

i HAVE got to stop reading the problem pages in my sugar magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back