Japanese Tamagotchis Dangerous?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
Hello...I do NOT want to be offensive and I respect Japan, but I've been ordering Japanese Tamagotchi stuff and I was wondering if it would have dangerous radiation. I've heard the radiation problem is even worse than what was previously thought, and that radiation sticks to EVERYTHING! I know it sounds silly, but is buying Tamagotchis from Japan safe?

Uh.. unless your tamagotchi was stored within a 20 mile radius of the Fukushima reactor then you probably don't need to worry.

(and to be honest, I don't think anyone resident in that particular area is trading tamagotchis - they have enough to do just rebuilding their lives right now - if they are even allowed to move back to their homes at all...) :(

If you want to know more about it, why not get out a map of Japan and look up exactly where the coastline hit by the Tsunami is and where the Fukushima plant is based. See how near (or far) it is from other big cities in Japan ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's radiation everywhere anyway. You're probably exposed to more radiation from the smoke detectors or microwave in your house, or X-rays from visits to the doctor or dentist. It's like TamaMum said too - it depends on where your Tamagotchi was stored and chances are, it wasn't stored near the reactor. Tamagotchis are made in China and I don't think the products would have been shipped to Japanese companies that were directly affected by the nuclear disaster.

Honestly, I'm more worried about getting radiation from bananas than Japanese products.

(Bananas are rich in potassium which means there's a small chance of it containing Potassium - 40 which is radioactive)

Also, a lot of nuclear radiation is slowly disintergrating due to half lives and such, so the radiation problem surrounding Fukushima is gradually decreasing.

If you're more worried about such things, consult this chart! :)

It's a bit old, so the numbers relating to Fukushima should be fractionally less.

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

Even if there is radiation, it won't be severe or else the product would have been destroyed or at least damaged. Most radiaton is okay - did you know people used to think radiation was good for you, and drink radioactive water, and they were okay? If you're worried, you can throw out the packaging as soon as you get the item, but if the factory creating your product wasn't destroyed/damaged by radiation, the product won't be harmed. The Japanese are honest people who wouldn't sell a radioactive-poisoned iD L to you ;)

P.S. I didn't know the banana fact! I didn't even know they contained potassium! I wish they taught physics in junior school...my dad teaches me about it at home though, which is why I know about it.

~ Dazzmina ~

P.S. I didn't know the banana fact! I didn't even know they contained potassium! I wish they taught physics in junior school...my dad teaches me about it at home though, which is why I know about it.

~ Dazzmina ~
Yeah! Potassium's really good for girls who get period cramps (remember that!)

You'll learn about it in High School most likely in Chemistry or Physics. It's a highly interesting subject! :)

Funny fact: A banana has more radiation than a Japanese Tamagotchi does. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, I saw LittleChamametchi's post.

Welllll...I do NOT want to throw the box away. :eek: It shouldn't be too bad. My mother just once asked me, "The iD L isn't from Japan, is it? Otherwise it will have dangerous radiation."

So I just said, "No, it is not from Japan." DUH, of course tamas are from Japan. I am such a fibber. ;)

And I don't have a microwave or a smoke detector and I have never been x-rayed so I haven't been "radiated" before...I bought the iD L from Japan Trend Shop. Just saying.

Oh,Eternal Mametchi Fan!

Don't worry,there will be no radiation,or else why the heck would they be selling it? :p

Anyhow,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's radiation everywhere anyway. You're probably exposed to more radiation from the smoke detectors or microwave in your house, or X-rays from visits to the doctor or dentist. It's like TamaMum said too - it depends on where your Tamagotchi was stored and chances are, it wasn't stored near the reactor. Tamagotchis are made in China and I don't think the products would have been shipped to Japanese companies that were directly affected by the nuclear disaster.
As OST said,there would be no radiation,as I believe tamas are made in China,and shipped to Japan.So you're not a fibber. ;)

Welllll...I do NOT want to throw the box away. :eek: It shouldn't be too bad. My mother just once asked me, "The iD L isn't from Japan, is it? Otherwise it will have dangerous radiation."

So I just said, "No, it is not from Japan." DUH, of course tamas are from Japan. I am such a fibber. ;)

And I don't have a microwave or a smoke detector and I have never been x-rayed so I haven't been "radiated" before...I bought the iD L from Japan Trend Shop. Just saying.
Well, it's not a weird feeling, you don't even notice it. Your mum is just getting over-excited about it, my house has a microwave and a smoke detector and we're all fine. You only get radiaton sickness if you're hit by millions of gamma rays (radiation particles), which only come from very radioactive stuff that would hurt anyone who touched it. If it hasn't damaged the factory producing it or the plane carrying it to your country, it won't damage you either, no matter how unused you are to mild radiation.

~ Dazzmina ~

Radiation doesn't just sit in one place, it moves accross the planet in a stream.

The radiation cloud from Japan has probably already passed through North America by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back