Job interview advice

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicBlades

Reaction score
I have a job interview tomorrow. It's going to be my 9th interview so far. I've tried doing everything I can possibly think of to make good impressions during my past interviews but I can't seem to get hired. I'm starting to think maybe I seem too eager, if that's even possible.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to say/do and not say/do? The jobs I had in the past I mainly got because I knew people who worked at the companies so I pretty much didn't even have interviews. I've tried talking more, talking less, overselling myself, dialing it back, and nothing works. My family won't stop yelling at me for not having a job.

Be yourself. Know what you are talking about. Um, it may show you are nervous which can mean you care. (at your own risk) Avoid those over practiced phrases. (thats a good question, etc, It seems to turn them off...) think about questions they may ask you. Know about the company.

One of my last interveiws was a group interveiw. I thought I did really good to only find out, others did better. It was a mixed age group. The ones that seemed to do better, they sold their soul, if you will... One said she loved the store and she was a teacher moving from someplace warm. (someplace they didn't have this store) She included this info and other random info with the store she loves mixed in. (boom, I swear she works there now...) They liked to know about other jobs that the others had. They really liked to know the others who intended to keep working both jobs. (potential and original) They don't care for drama stories. (family issues, it happend, etc) when it came around to asking the managers questions, good questions came up. If your question was taken, it requires quick thinking and in a group interview, it can be a pain. Dress for success, of corse.

Its always good to ask others to help with rapid-fire questions. I find its helpful, very.

SR pretty much covered it, except I would just add a bit more about "dress for success". People judge. I know it shouldn't be like that but it's human nature and you want these people to give you a job, so your appearance should suggest that you can dress like you already work for them and would fit right in with the other existing employees you'll be working with.

In a nutshell, dress for the interview - make sure your appearance on the day is the same style as the people who already work at the company.

If it's an office job, make sure you wear similar style clothes to executives who already work there; if it's a music store (for example) dress in the style of some of the existing shop assistants - but be smart - don't wear Goth / dramatic clothing, etc. because you think it shows your potential employer that you are being honest about the kind of person you are! ;)

I was recently involved in assisting with selecting people for interview (and second interview). Many of the applicants failed as they walked through the door because they just didn't look the part.

There were guys who turned up with ear studs and other piercings and casual trousers for an interview as a Real Estate Assistant / Trainee Estate Agent. Similarly, one girl turned up in a really nice pair of skinny jeans and converse - she looked great but didn't even get 5 mins because her appearance suggested that she didn't have the sense to dress like an Estate Agent / Realtor, not a Hollister Sales Assistant...

Like I say, it might seem harsh, but sadly, in a very competitive job market you have to "act" the part and dress the part at your interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the other's advice, but something I would like to add in is possibly trying to talk to friends/family about what opportunities they might have noticed. It sounds bad, but sometimes knowing someone already hired at that company or with contacts can be the extra bump you need to stand out (I don't agree with it, and of course you also need to be qualified, but it can make a difference).

It also depends on what field you might be interviewing for. I have been to some interviews where they were just looking for a "happy smiling face" (literally in the job description- no kidding) to be a cashier, or sometimes all they really cared about was experience. Others have involved flexibility (ie. ability to work independently if necessary) or literally the hours you have available.

I know that it can be hard and sometimes when you don't get a call back, it can make a person feel like they're something wrong with them (especially if you're not feeling support from home), but sometimes companies are just looking for something really specific (willingness to work insane hours, etc.) In the end, when companies have weird/unreasonable hiring practices, you probably don't want to work for them anyway. Good companies/organizations see the value in their employees (not just financially). I know it's hard. Best of luck to you!

Edited to add* Another bit of advice I would be is to play to your strengths. If you love tennis, try a sports store etc. It's hard to sell yourself for jobs that don't line up well with your interests/personality, and even if you get the job, you might be miserable. It'll work out though, I'm sure a great opportunity will form itself as long as you persist. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back