Kensington Boarding School for the Mentally Ill.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not expecting someone to talk to him Lark jumped slightly, startled. After the initial shock wore off and his mind was able to process the initial question, he nodded. He lowered the schedule to Aisling's height and hoped she'd get the hint of where he needed to go. His name was also on the schedule, so he also hoped that would work for an introduction. Most people don't know sign language, and there is no way that he was going to talk in this situation. Heck, even if he was talking to one of his siblings he wouldn't talk in such a crowded place. If even one person hears him they would laugh and make fun of him, not to mention the possible rumors that could be spread. It's not like he interacted with anyone or really had any friends to begin with, but still nasty rumors have ruined the lives of many performers before, he assumed school would be similar.

Lark normally wouldn't pay any mind to some random person that would talk to him, but there was something oddly familiar about Aisling. She seemed rather dainty and small compared to him, though most people do considering the side-effect of being castrated included unusually usually long limbs and an expanded ribcage. Her voice was what caught his attention the most, though. With a voice like that it's very possible that they met during a performance or something of the sort. That was the only rational explanation he could think for the sense of familiarity. The irrational explanation involved hallucinations, and he really didn't want to think about that.

Aisling stood on her tiptoes and peered at the schedule, squinting a bit so she could clearly see the text on the paper. Okay, he had literature first. Well, that wouldn't be hard to get him too-- she was in that class herself. She decided to simply show him to all of his classes, seeing as the school could get hard to navigate, especially with all the people running around. She knew what it was like to get lost trying to get through all of the classes, and even during down time. "I'll take you to all of your classes, if you'd like," she said softly, moving so that nobody wold be listening to their conversation. Some of the kids around here were real eavesdroppers, and it got on her very last nerve. Nervously, she twirled her skirt, the light cotton flowing easily, making comforting sounds that Aisling liked to hear.

Then, she looked at the name that was on the schedule, and her hands flew to her mouth. "Lark!" She whispered, color flooding to her cheeks as she remembered him. Yes, she remembered him very well. He had the most beautiful voice she'd ever heard, it was so youthful, so clear. And when he sang, it simply took her breath away. She assumed he wouldn't remember her, but she had idolized his voice, and even her mother had scolded, "That boy sings better than you! Go back to doing your scales!" Her hands began to tremble, a sudden rush of nerves and shyness flooding her completely. "I believe we've met before. I'm Aisling. We were in a musical together when we were very young, in London. My mother wanted me to have a West End show under my belt, and... well, that doesn't matter much anymore. My career is at a standstill right now..." She ducked her head demurely and added, "And... I'm not much to look at compared to back then. I've... let myself go."

“Oh, uh...morning,” Santo said, trying his best to keep focused on the older girl's face rather than her chest. He'd learnt the hard way that the sluts here weren't exactly the sluts who inhabited the middle school he should have gone to, who dressed provocatively and wore their weight in make-up because they wanted the really hot boys (like himself, of course) to pay attention to them. They were more like the kind of sluts who dressed in such a way that they might as well have 'fxxx me' written all over them, but if a boy dared to take this opportunity to appreciate God's work they were met with a slap in the face. And trust me, Santo was not in the mood for a slap in the face.

“I'm Santo Valeriano Giovanni,” he continued, feeling the need to address himself formally for some reason. Probably because the girl – Gloria, did she say? - was older than him, and looked like the kind who he wanted to be respected by. Besides, his name sounded pretty cool when he said it. He was about to say something else, nothing all that important but still worth saying, when that other girl whose name he didn't quite catch piped up in an annoying, high-pitched voice. He looked at her and gulped, realising that she was probably the same age as him, and that the next five years were going to be even more slow and painful than he thought they would be.

“You remind me of my sister, Rosalba. She always asked me really stupid questions like that. Except she's three, you're...twelve or thirteen or something like that,” he rubbed the back of his neck, sighing, “What's your name again? Clarissa? Well, uh, Clarissa, I don't have a fxcking clue why my hair's so messy and, frankly, I can't be bothered with the shampoo and shxt. Okay, now I have a stupid question; why are you so shor-- oh for the love of...” before he was slightly irritated by this little twerp, now that she was rolling around like a toddler throwing a tantrum he felt like stomping on her until she was nothing more than a large, bloody stain on the carpet. But he didn't. He decided to try and remain calm, “If you want breakfast, go and get some fxcking breakfast. You're late, but I'm sure they'll let you have cereal or something. Or just go without it, since it's your fault for getting up late. I would nuke China for a cappuccino right now. I'm not throwing a tantrum, am I? Just stop it, you GODDXMN PIECE OF SHXT.”

The ginger girl sat up and glared at the boy called 'Santo'. What kind of a name was 'Santo' anyway? To Clarice, it sounded a bit of a fake name. No way that could be his real name... could it? Either way. He messed up her name, so Clarice was going to return the favor. "Okay, first of all, Santa my name's not Clarissa, it's Clarice. That's a big difference. Got it?" she told him rather harshly, smugly smiling afterwards. And... did this kid really mistake her for a twelve year old? Well, at least it's better than when people mistook her for a ten [if not nine] year old. That's what she hated most about her short height and round face. People were constantly getting her age wrong. What was that, even? Clarice was no child, though she sure acted like one most of the time. The two things Clarice was easily angered by, mistaken age and not calling her by her preferred name, Santo had done both in the first 5 minutes of them meeting.

"I. AM. NOT. TWELEVE, YOU JERK!" She yelled out, clearly p`ssed off. "I'M FOURTEEN. GOD, YOU'RE SO IGNORANT!" This wasn't what she was normally like when people got her age wrong, but she was obviously already in a bad mood, so she wasn't one to mess with right then. Hm... maybe she would ditch class and go break someone's legs or something. Y'know... just to calm her down a little. This wasn't going to be like one of these times where she became happy-go-lucky within a few seconds. Mornings were a terrible time to get her fuming mad, especially if she was hungry. Most people thought she was angry enough when she was tired, but that's nothing compared to hungry, angry, Clarice in the morning. No, definitely not. There was angry, Clarice, then there was freaking p`ssed Clarice. People needed to learn the difference. Just knowing that alone could save someone from having their fingers hacked off.

"And I don't know why I'm so short! Jeez! Yeah. It's not like I can actually control my height!" Yep, she was still pretty angry. "No. Wait. You're right. When I want to grow tall I have to summon this magic height fairy who will give me magic oatmeal or some crap like that which I have to eat to become like 7 inches taller or whatever. Yep, that's totally it!" ...And here comes the sarcasm, the first sign that she wanted to punch you in the face. Once she started being sarcastic, there was no going back to the cheerful Clarice. For a long while, anyway. "Well, I was going to get my food my self, but since you're being a jerkface to me, you go get it. And none of that cereal crap, either. If you come back with cereal I will stuff it down your throat. Including the spoon." She smiled at him, but oh hell no, that was not a sincere smile.

Gloria wasn't finding it awkward having the high heels boost her height so she was taller than everyone else around here - in fact, she loved it - but to make others feel comfortable (pfft) she leant against the wall so she was smaller. Only slightly, mind - she wasn't going to give up her advantage now, was she! Out of the little group that had formed around her - she said group, because people were occasionally stopping by to listen in/stare at her - Gloria had to admit most of her attention was directed towards the boy who had introduced himself as Santo because, well, he was a guy. It was a natural thing for her to do, and if you didn't even understand that, you'd never understand Gloria Night. She'd already noticed that his eyes kept sliding down somewhere else before flicking back up. Bless him, he was making such an effort! For the record, Gloria didn't actually care whether he stared or not. In fact, that was probably the whole point of her wearing the clothing that she did. It was pretty obvious by now to anyone that had been here for at least a month that the special Head Girl of this place was a little slut, and she was quite happy in her position of being Head Slut. It took dedication to get that high, Gloria thought.

...Okay, the brat on the floor was starting to really annoy her now.

Resisting the urge to pull Clarice to her feet by her hair and yell in her face - well, maybe not yell, that was really obvious. And loud. - Gloria settled for just digging a nail into her hand to take her mind off the stupid, childish idiot. Yes, Gloria held a similar personality, but at least it wasn't a permanant fixture. Whereas here, she feared, this side of Clarice was actally her. Okay, now she was ranting to the guy that Gloria had already staked a claim on - a claim on what, she wasn't quite sure yet, but she had jumped in there and nabbed him. She'd decide what for later. Probably only to do her work and be a general helper really - sadly, he was too young for Gloria's 'games' right now... Oh, he did say some funny things! Gloria felt it was time for her to chip in on this little discussion. "See, I don't have this problem - I can just go and get coffee from the staff room!" Gloria giggled, looking down so she could see Clarice's expression. Hopefully it was annoyed. Oh, hang on, it was. Wow, she was really p*ssed. Gloria doubted she was really dangourus, not like she could be when she was really annoyed. That was an event you really didn't want to get caught up in. As a matter of fact, no-one was allowed to get anything from the staff room, not even Miss Head Girl, strangly, but that didn't stop Gloria. She raised an eyebrow at Santo and said, after she'd finished giggling, "So there's no need to nuke some random country." Glancing down at Clarice as she continued to rant about cereal, Gloria calmly raised a leg and jabbed the younger girl with her high heel, hopefully tipping her over and causing her some pain. "Shut up about cereal already!~" The words that were heard by everyone were giggly and joking, but in her head Gloria was screaming abuse at Clarice and punching her in her stupid big mouth over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lark nodded. Having someone show him around would be a bit strange and awkward, but it is better than wandering around for who knows how long... Though he must admit how close the two were standing right now was getting really awkward and uncomfortable. Oh well, he would just have to grin and bare it some help was better than none. Though finding out that he has met Aisling before came to him as an even more awkward surprise, especially because he didn't quite remember her that well, but she remembered him fine. Though, he tended not to remember people well in general, especially someone he only met in a musical. Considering how hard it is to use sign language legibly while holding something, and he was finally able to think somewhat sensibly, he quickly grabbed a pen from his bag and wrote on the back of his schedule.

"Really? you must forgive me I cannot remember. My career is in a bit of a standstill as well. And you look quite nice to me." He wrote in long, flowing, cursive.

I give up with Lucy, she’s not developed enough yet -lolfail-

Name: Nicola Cienna D'Agistino (she goes by Nicki)

Appearance: One of the first things you might notice about Nicki is her bleach blonde hair. Why would you notice it first? Because she hasn't dyed it for a while. Hello rot regrowth. She isn't extremely fussy about her hair, she just straightens it in the morning and is done. Her eyes are green, but that isn't natural, she just wears colour contacts for the sake of it. She is never seen without her face caked in make-up, usually thick foundation and heavily lined eyes. She isn't that unusual height wise, standing at 5'6, but she is quite thin. Oh, and another thing you might notice about Nicki is her rather unnatural...*ahem* chest size. Yes. Unnatural. All in all Nicki is rather fake and plastic.

Personality: Nicki isn't the most pleasant person to be around. Why? She's a cold and heatless biatch, who doesn't think about anyone but herself. She will stop at practically nothing to get what she wants, and will use any means to do this. Manipulation, blackmail, sometimes even seduction...Sorry, did I say sometimes? It's her favourite way of getting whatever she needs at that particular moment. She is also rather big-headed, especially when it comes to boys, and she always thinks of herself as better than others. She can seriously

Overestimate her fighting abilities, which isn’t all that good when you’re surrounded by people who may have anger issues and psychotic tendencies. All in all, Nicki’s not the nicest person around.

History: Nicki was born in Assisi, Italy. Her brother, Damien, was born when Nicki was 4, and Nicki hated him from the moment she set eyes on him. His was no sibling rivalry: Nicki, although only just at school age, despised Damien with a passion, because he father was away on “business trips”, and her mother’s attention was now focused on Damien, so Nicki felt neglected. Although this was obviously not the case, this was how her mind worked, and she’s hated Damien ever since.

Nicki’s life was relatively good, until she was 10. Her parents decided that, for the family’s safety, they should move to Brooklyn, New York. Nicki had to learn English fast, and adapt to the American way of life. Although it was hard, she managed it. By 13, she was very good at getting what she wanted, which mainly involved things from boys. Her parents neither encouraged nor discouraged this, preferring not to get involved in their children’s’ lives away from their home, and stayed focused making sure none of them got killed. However, by age 16, they could no longer ignore Nicki’s behaviour, and she was sent here after they found out about her relationship with a young man called Sam, who wasn’t exactly the boy that parents dream their children mixing with, much less going out with. She has been here for five months.

What’s wrong with them?: Nicki doesn’t have a specific disorder or illness. Her parents sent her here because of her manipulative behaviour, and mainly just to get her out of the way without having to give her money to get her own place.

Other: Nope. piggish

Name:

Abdirahman al-Jalil ibn-Gamali Abdulaziz al-Sumal.

(Commonly known as Abdirahman bin Gamali, Dirah and Mr. Gamali)

Twenty-seven or twenty-eight. He doesn't know his birthday.

Male.

Appearance:

The one thing that distinguishes Dirah from most other non-Somali Africans is that, if you ignore his hair and skin colour, he doesn't actually look very African. Some say that he just looks like a very dark-skinned European. His occasional smile is twisted by a disfiguring scar running down the left side of his face, which he often claws at when he's stressed or frustrated. He's blind in his left eye because of this scar.

Dirah was quite tall compared to most others he knew back home, but around here he's considered to be at a pretty much average height. He's put on a bit of weight since he arrived in England (wow, the food in this place is brilliant! Well, as long as it's not English food) but he still looks like he just crawled out of a refugee camp. As a teacher, he tries to look the part by wearing suits, which are usually a couple of sizes too big, and nice ties.

Personality:

Dirah appears to be so devoted to his religion that some of the more paranoid/judgemental kids are just waiting for the day when the school blows up. This isn't likely to happen, however, at least not in the hands of this Muslim, as he's against terrorism in all shapes and forms. Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

If you're one of the really messed up kids who has to have daily sessions with Dirah so that he can “monitor your progress” then you'll probably find that sitting alone in the office with him is rather...awkward. This is mainly because he doesn't talk much and whenever he does he speaks really softly, and that combined with his accent and sometimes rather broken English sometimes makes him a little difficult to understand. He does raise his voice occasionally, however. Occasionally meaning more often than you'd think. He's one of those people who holds everything in until they snap and, although he's never been able to lay a finger on one of the kids during one of his rampages, he does often have urges to do unspeakably violent things to the little western brats, even when he's feeling perfectly calm, and isn't afraid to describe these urges to them when they're being difficult.

Like many people from his country, Dirah's quite a hospitable guy. Although he's wary of strangers, he does try to make people feel welcome by giving them gifts, providing he likes the look of the person, and will take it as a personal insult if they don't accept . He also likes cooking, and Goddxmn is he a good cook (traditional Somali recipes, bro. They always turn out nice.)

History:

Dirah was born in Mogadishu, Somalia, to a poor couple who lived in a run-down little shack that coul barely be called a house. Despite this, his early childhood years were quite happy times. Sure, the family were poor and often went hungry, but they tried to appreciate what little they had and were too busy working their asses off to try and claw their way out of poverty to sit around grieving about their financial situation. Many Mogadishuins (yeah, I just made up that word) lived like this, so it's not like they were an exception or anything.

When Dirah was seven the Somali Civil War broke out. His father, Gamali, left the family to join the military once again, just like he had during the Ogaden War, only this time the military wasn't officially...well, a military. He was never heard of again, so Dirah's mother, Buthayna, had to raise her three children on her own, which was more difficult than it would have been before now that the government had collapsed, leaving Mogadishu to be ruled over by warlords.

Two years later tragedy struck. The family's clan were once again a target for genocide. Militia, wearing masks so that the victims wouldn't know who was killing them, went around their neighbourhood, shooting anybody who was said to be part of that particular clan – including Buthayna and the youngest child of the family, Mas'ouda. Najib, the oldest child, and Dirah had only survived because they had found a splendid new playground which happened to be a tank some military guys had left behind for whatever reason. Najib declared that it was time to go. They fled to Dadaab, a refugee camp in Kenya near the Kenya-Somali border, with the help of their uncle Walliyullah, who had been wounded and lost his wife and six children in the massacre.

Walliyullah died of his wounds soon after their arrival – the wounds weren't major, but bad enough to become infected in the camp's crowded, unsanitary conditions. Najib committed suicide four years later, leaving Dirah on his own. He started to become cranky. Well, sure, he had always been cranky, but now he was cranky to the point of picking completely unprovoked fights with random people, most of whom were bigger and stronger than he was. He targeted mainly Christians and Bantu Somalis, but one non-Christian, non-Bantu Somali Dirah had quite honestly tried to throttle to death for stealing part of his ration had a knife on them. Dirah's scar is a permanent reminder of that incident. At least it got him to calm down a little. He eventually decided to give up all hope of ever leaving this place or becoming the least bit successful and not being deported if he did and started using khat to solve his problems, despite the Qu'ran he had relied on to keep him going for the past few years forbidding the use of anything that was harmful to the body.

Dirah did leave the camp eventually, about ten years after he'd arrived there. By that point he wasn't sure if he even wanted out. It's not that he liked the camp, he just had no idea what to do with his life after it had pretty much come to a hault for ten years. He lived in Mombasa for a few months then, deciding that he didn't like it there, went to Nairobi to get work. After that failed he used what little money he had to hire an agent, who helped him get to Yemen and then the UK, where he claimed asylum upon his arrival.

His claim was approved quickly (by UK standards) and, after learning English, he decided to fulfil the career his brother had dreamed of before the refugee crap – which, like many ambitious African kids, was to be a teacher. A boarding school – Kensington or something weird like that – didn't seem to require too many qualifications to work there besides obviously knowing how to read and write (skills which almost all Somalis had) so he signed up. Unfortunately, the only space available was the guidance counsellor after the last one apparently had a mental breakdown. Oh well, that would do for now. Maybe these kids' first world problems would cheer him up a little.

What's wrong with them?:

Dirah hasn't been diagnosed with any specific mental disorders, but there's a possibility of depression and...probably something else, he doesn't know and doesn't care.

Other:

He's the guidance counsellor (durr) who totally cares about these kids' problems.

Any smartass kids who make pirate jokes will have earned themselves a well-deserved “talking to”.Piggehs.

----------

Santo was about to say something that probably had something to do with his much-needed coffee when Clarice distracted him.

“Clarissa-” he liked that name better than the name Clarice - “-for the love of God, grow the fxck up. What are you, two?” He grabbed the screaming girl by the hair then dragged her to her feet, “If you want cereal then go and fxcking get yourself some cereal. Why should somebody else do it for you, you lazy prat? Oh, and my name is Santo. Santoooo. It's Italian for “saint”. Do I look fat and jolly to you? No!” Again, he was trying to remain calm and collected even though Clarissa, as he called her, was now...urgh, Jesus, he could almost feel his blood quite literally boiling. He let go of her hair and wiped his hands on his jeans as if he'd just touched something disgusting, then turned back to Gloria, his blood cooling down to its normal, probably ice-cold temperature, “Oh, you bxtch! How are you allow- oh right, yeah. You're the head girl or some shxt like that. You run this place like some crazy dictator. Hey, can you ask them if I can have coffee? And maybe a bit of toast? And cereal for this brat, of course-” he nodded in Clarice's direction, “- Come on, do it. Because you seem pretty cool and cool girls get Santo coffee.”

Gah, his manipulation skills were far from their best this morning. Hopefully they'd work anyway, because he really, really wanted that coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicki rolled over when she heard her phone beeping. Time to get up already? Then she actually looked at her phone. It was a text message from Damien. I wanted to annoy her, and she knew it. It had worked, he’d woken her up earlier than she needed to get up.

Wait a second… Nicki thought. She looked at the time. It had been at least an hour since her alarm should have gone off. Well, didn’t that just suck? And this was made even worse by the fact that she had a meeting with the guidance counsellor. The guidance counsellor who was a bit ratty when people showed up late for meetings. And she was trying to get on the counsellor’s good side at the moment.

“Oh, fxxx” she said out loud when she realised this all. She jumped out of bed and scrambled towards her wardrobe, which looked like it only contained low cut tops and short skirts. She grabbed the closest clothes to her--a white tube top and a skirt that most would probably class as belt--and pulled them on, and then ran to her dresser and started putting make-up on. She caked on her foundation until it was almost opaque, and the started on heavily lining her eyes. Because she was hurrying, she smudged her eyeliner at least three times, and almost poked herself in the eye, which only made her even more late when she wiped it off and started again. By this time, she only had time to run the flat irons through her hair a couple of times before she had to grab her bag and walk up the corridor quickly. She finally reached the corridor where the guidance counsellor’s office was, and knocked on the door loudly.

Latest posts

Back