Legalization of Marijauna

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it should be legalized in the US for both medical and recreational use, however, it should be regulated and taxed. Our economy is in a huge hole as it is. The legalization of marijuana would create more tax revenue (God knows we need it) and regulation could possibly create jobs. As long as the marijuana being sold for recreational use is regulated to be only sold by registered growers, I think it would definitely be worthwhile. If recreational use was decriminalized, it would cut down significantly on inmates in already overcrowded county jails, therefore reducing tax waste on an already corrupt jail system. Some say marijuana is a gateway drug, but studies have shown that this is not the case. Smoking marijuana does lead to lung cancer (as any other smoking could) but, so do cigarettes and cigars. If we have alcohol and cigarettes legal in the US, I believe marijuana should be legal as well. And I also propose a sin tax on these three for federal revenue. The economy's tough. Also, I'll leave this here. Quote from Ralph Nader:

A ban on the agricultural production of hemp simply doesn’t make sense. Farmers in places like Iowa could benefit greatly from the production of industrial hemp. In a crippling recession, unemployed Americans could receive a boost from such an emerging industry, from farm to value-added businesses. And many firms here in the United States that sell hemp-based products would reap the benefits. Currently they import their hemp from places like Canada, China, or France, which can increase their costs from 10 to 15 percent or more. As the only remaining developed nation in which the production of industrial hemp is not permitted, the United States is not only missing out on a large — and growing — global market, but limiting the livelihoods of farmers, processors and fabricators.
tumblr_ltbr50tKXy1qc1ca1o1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Marijuana should be legalised for Medial purposes, yes, but I highly disagree that it should be legalised for recreational purposes. :gozarutchi:

Recreationally, people take the drug usually to somewhat become relaxed and gain artistic visions so that they can become inspired once their high is over. Honestly, I believe that we can all deal with anxieties and worries without taking brain cell-damaging and completely unhealthy drugs just for the purpose of feeling "free" or whatever people feel when they use it non-medically. c:

Of course, this could apply to alcohol and smoking too, thus my belief that they should not be legal either. :wacko:

In all honesty, I don't really know too much about this, but if smoking is legal I don't see why this wouldn't be legal. Smoking is smoking. It's bad for you either way, but so is coffee.

As to how I feel about it, I don't think smoking in general should be legal as to what it does to your lungs.. so in that sense I would also disagree with marijuana legalization.

But then again, if you're not harming anyone or causing damage to anything by smoking it, it really should be your right to do what you want with your body. I don't think the government should have a say in that sort of thing if it doesn't affect anyone else. It's really not their right.

Well, I don't smoke personally, but I don't see the problem with it... It's not as bad as tobacco cigs, and THOSE are PERFECTLY legal. I think if they make certain restrictions, like no driving while under the influence, and no doing other certain stuff, it should be ok. It's the same with drinking kind of. I have lots of friends that smoke tho :/ *the "perks" of living in nyc* (sarcasm)

I voted no.

Did you know that 2 in 3 people don't think marijuana has any bad side affects? It does. Recent research has shown that marijuana is, infact, addictive, and it leads to schitzophrenia and unstable minds later in life. It also has all the negative side effects in your lungs that tobacco does.

Marijiuana has always be illegal, and tobacco hasn't. You can illegalise something a large amount of people use. That would make no sense. Marijuana is worse than tobacco. The problem is, some people don't see this.

-KuroMame

All the facts are on NORML if people would like to truly educate themselves on it and know the current truths. There are states that charge a tax on cannabis (i.e. Idaho), to mean, if you buy cannabis or you decide to grow it, even though it is not actually legal to do so in those states, that you are still obligated to pay a tax (set by those states) on what you are buying or growing.... this was quite interesting to me. Of course, the most "marijuana liberal" states are Oregon and California. Montana allows the production of hemp fields, which is actually a very valuable resource, and hemp seeds (which are mainly manufactured through Canada) are an excellent source of protein and omegas! ... Just some food for thought :)

And yes, I'm a supporter of legalization in all degrees for this herb.

P.S.

I also want to mention that when folks comment on the "smoking" of it having negative effects on the lungs, YES it is bad for the lungs and can cause cancers... but that is not the only way, it does not have to be "combusted" for it's direct effects and can also be ingested.

I wish they would legalize it. Weed is good for you. Why else would your body allow it to stay for 30 days?

I voted no.

Did you know that 2 in 3 people don't think marijuana has any bad side affects? It does. Recent research has shown that marijuana is, infact, addictive, and it leads to schitzophrenia and unstable minds later in life. It also has all the negative side effects in your lungs that tobacco does.

Marijiuana has always be illegal, and tobacco hasn't. You can illegalise something a large amount of people use. That would make no sense. Marijuana is worse than tobacco. The problem is, some people don't see this.

-KuroMame

***OST EDIT: Please keep your posts respectful. Name-calling isn't necessary.*** Weed isn't worse than tobacco.

I vote NO. Ha, ha, I had a laugh when I saw the choice for it to be legalized for recreational purposes. Yeah, that makes A LOT of sense. That's like asking "Do you think nuclear bombs should be legalized for recreational purposes?" and answering "Oh, gee, nuclear bombs aren't dangerous, they're healthy and fun to play with."

I vote NO. Ha, ha, I had a laugh when I saw the choice for it to be legalized for recreational purposes. Yeah, that makes A LOT of sense. That's like asking "Do you think nuclear bombs should be legalized for recreational purposes?" and answering "Oh, gee, nuclear bombs aren't dangerous, they're healthy and fun to play with."
Why are you comparing cannabis to nuclear bombs...?

Nuclear bombs have the power to completely level a city and it's surrounding areas.

Cannabis only has the power to level my refrigerator. Comparison ignored, discarded. Sorry. :)
That was a pretty bad comparison, anyways. That's like comparing the strength of a human to the strength of earth's gravity.

Please try to keep this discussion on-topic and as mature and respectful as possible. I'd like to reiterate a post TamaMum made earlier in this topic:

I respect your wish to discuss and educate members on a difficult and sensitive subject but I think if you strongly believe in the legalisation of the drug cannabis (marijuana) and you want to promote that belief you yourself should start by posting some key facts or claims (supported with evidence).

It would be the most effective way to educate. If you take the time to post some facts and info it will also help debunk some of these"myths and stereotypes" you mention instead of inviting members to post something and for you to jump in and correct any misconceptions.

As for anyone who wants to join this disucssion I am going to remind everyone about the first rule of TamaTalk:

POSTING
1. All posts are to be concise, friendly, respectful and with the intention of positive contribution towards TamaTalk.

That means NO swearing, flaming, shaming, fighting, SPAM, pot stirring or discussion of anything illegal!
Now, if members want to follow a mature and sensible discussion about the subject I don't have a problem with leaving this topic open (for now).

Just be aware that if anyone posts an example of illegal activity that you (or your friends / family / anyone you know of) have been involved with then you are discussing something illegal and this thread will be closed as per site rules.

A reminder that TamaTalk is a community forum and is open to members of any age (including under 13yrs).

If you want to discuss illegal activity take it to a different site.
Thank you.

No wait, that's like comparing the temperature of fire to the height of a building. It's irrelevant and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyone who says marijuana is bad for you is obviously *removed - site rule #1*. Cocaine is bad for you, hence why your body gets rid of it in 3 days. Marijuana stays in your body for 30 days. The worst possible outcome of smoking this great plant is your memory gets cloudy. Thats it. Nobody has ever gotten lung cancer from pure marijuana alone. Anyone who claims it is lying. Nuff said.

Anyone who says marijuana is bad for you is obviously *removed - site rule #1*. Cocaine is bad for you, hence why your body gets rid of it in 3 days. Marijuana stays in your body for 30 days. The worst possible outcome of smoking this great plant is your memory gets cloudy. Thats it. Nobody has ever gotten lung cancer from pure marijuana alone. Anyone who claims it is lying. Nuff said.
Once more for anyone who still has any doubts - or who simply can't follow our site rules because their memory is getting cloudy...

Mature and sensible discussion please.

No unsubstantiated personal opinions - back them up with scientific facts or references / links to published research.

_
I think it should be legalized, both medical and recreational. I mean, you have alcohol legalized as well as tobacco, and both of those are nearly as bad, why not marijuana? When you use it, the only time things start taking a toll on you, is when you use excessive amounts of it over a large period of time. Memory loss, loss of concentration, addiction and/or cancer if it is smoked. (Not the only way for it to get into your system.) But alcohol causes cancer, difficulties in the liver/other organs, black-outs and/or passing out, brain damage, and if done while operating machinery, the risk of harming/killing yourself and others. As for tobacco, cancer in the lungs, throat or mouth, strong increase in heart attacks and strokes, an increase in chance of developing a wide variety of diseases like emphysema and coronary artery disease.
It differs from alcohol, it doesn't increase risk-taking behavior and rarely contributes to violence either to others or to oneself, whereas alcohol use is a major factor in deliberate self-harm, domestic accidents and violence. And, nicotine is just as addicting. Marijuana has 25% less tar than cigarettes and definitely doesn't have all those chemicals in it like cigarettes do.
It's also a proven fact that no one has directly been killed by it. It increases risks of certain things, but in sense, itself has not killed someone. The only way for it to be considered lethal is if you injected THC into you directly for a period of time. It is not a dangerous drug as it is glamorized or how it looks by certain people using it, if you dug down deeper and found the facts about it, it's certainly not as bad, and it can be used for many other purposes as well, not just medical. Some officials have stated that it's safer than alcohol and tobacco. It's even said they can see it becoming legalized in the future, but it will take many years for it to.
I would post the links for the sites, but I can't find my work cited page. Most of this I gathered for a Health presentation for school not too long ago.

Well, you're wrong. There is scientific EVIDENCE that it is deadly. Even if you think it doesn't cause lung cancer, I still know of people who have died young because they refused to believe that it was severely harming them. For those of you reading this, please, whatever you do, if you value your lives, don't make that same mistake. Stay away from it, it kills hundreds of young people each year. Why legalize something like that? Here's a link you should check out: https://alcoholism.ab...s-accidents.htm

Notice that once again, there are still people who refuse to listen to experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back