Living in the Present Moment

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshines

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
Perhaps this topic will sound a bit cliche at first glance, but I feel as though TamaTalk is one of the very few online places I can be truthful and honest. And I appreciate all of you hearing what I have to say. That, in itself, is a wonderful gift.

So why live in the present moment? Is it really that easy to live in the present moment without being bombarded with thoughts of what's going to happen tomorrow or what happened to you yesterday? For me, this is difficult. I am constantly on alert, thinking or worrying about what tomorrow will be like. If I'm not thinking about tomorrow, then I'm reassessing what I could have done better yesterday. This kind of thinking is more common than you think - especially in Western society. We are stressed about getting in to a good school, achieving high marks, having the latest gadgets, making more money with work and climbing the social ladder to become something or someone that is more highly recognized. This endless pursuit of constant achieving to be better than what you are today is tiring - and often unnecessary.

This past weekend, a good friend of mine died suddenly. I am shaken to the core, oddly enough. We all deal with death as it is an unescapable and permanent aspect of living a physical life here on Earth. But I am shaken from this experience. What makes this death so different from when my Uncle passed away or when my childhood family dog died from old age? Perhaps it is the sudden and unexpected emotions I am dealing with. Or maybe it's the actual lack of his physical being; I cannot touch nor hear him any longer. While this greatly saddens me, I think what has stirred me so greatly is the fact that he was able to live so beautifully in the present moment. He was never worried about tomorrow or what happened yesterday - he was always completely present with where and who he was at that precise moment. Like if he was being served food in a restaurant, he didn't think about how the food could be better, he just simply ate the food and enjoyed what he was eating at that exact moment. He didn't worry about the fact that his glass of wine was almost empty, he just enjoyed drinking what he had available - and that was good enough.

While I was never envious of his ability to be present, I was simply just aware of his presence. I enjoyed his presence. I was reminded of the present just by being with him. And how he no longer exists. So I sit here and think about the lack of enjoyment I will no longer have simply because he's gone. But then I think: he wouldn't want me to think of my life in this way. He would want me to be present, he would want me to stretch my wings and do the things I want. He would want me to live my life for today because there's no other moment that exists except for NOW. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow doesn't exist so why not accept that what I have now is good and make the most of it.

Easier said than done - considering the amount of peer pressure, social stigmas, laws, regulations, etc that we live with day to day. Not to say that all of these things are bad, we are just too easily influenced by them at times. Sometimes we take things too seriously and we blow life out of proportion.

Before I create a novel out of this post, I'll just cut to what I want this message to say: If you have things you want to do in your life, do not wait. Do whatever it takes to make those dreams come true. And if that dream doesn't come true anytime soon, at least smile that you did all you could to make it happen...and that something better will come out of the situation. My friend who passed had a lot of dreams - but he also pursued and accomplished a lot of his dreams. I find that truly inspiring because all of those dreams were created from a single thought...and they manifested themselves in to actual experiences. How incredible is that? In my eyes, it looks like magic. We are here to experience wonderful things - I hope we can all take a moment to cherish what we have now is truly and undoubtedly wonderful. Let's live in this present moment!

**--__Mark, I hope that you are laughing and smiling as brightly as I remember. You were and will forever continue to be an inspiration in my life.__--**

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all, sorry to hear about your lose :(

second: to help yourself not worry about the past and future is to clear your mind

try to forget about anything unessicary. and lastly keep yourself constantly occupied.

these are the things that help me, you can try them out and see what they do for you, sorry if they don't work.

Wow graficks, I'm actually really happy that you brought this up!

Like Nazo said, I'm very sorry for your loss, I'm glad that your friend had such a great inspiration on you, and hopefully other people too.

So many people today are just go, go, go. We always think of what we have to do tonight, tomorrow, next week, what plans we have, etc.

In my religion class, a topic like this came up too, and it definitely made a great effect on me. We were talking about how people are always going, and never taking time to "stop and smell the flowers." I think that hugely relates to this, as people never actually take time to just live in the moment.

This discussion happened months ago, and many just forgot about it. But I always kept it with me, and tried as hard as I could to take time in my day to just relax and take in everything as it is. Then a couple weeks ago, I was assigned a poem to read and analyze in English class which had the same idea, take time to live in the moment.

I feel like I'm always being reminded to just live life as it is, and do what I want to do. I'm not sure why I keep seeing these signs everywhere, this topic, religion class, english class, but I think that they're really helping me.

I too have a lot of trouble just trying to live in the moment. Sometimes I'll be totally relaxed and content with life, but a couple minutes later I'll be thinking of school, life, and just everything else in general. I'm the kind of person who worries about EVERYTHING, and I now realize that sometimes I just have to forget about things, as some of them are already done and I can't change them. I try to think that I just have to try my hardest in everything I do, and everything that happens to me, happens for a reason. I just have to stop worrying, because everything will eventually happen as it's supposed to.

Your story really touched me about your friend, and encourages me to try as hard as I can to live my dreams, but also enjoy life for what it is, because who knows what could happen in the next couple minutes!

Thank you C:

Thank you for writing this, graficks. I once had a very special friend--she was my best friend in the entire universe, and we were inseperable. I told myself I couldn't live without her. Then one day, she suddenly... went. I was heart-broken... I couldn't eat and cried constantly. I was devastated when people mentioned her... but here I am. I no longer cry when I think of her--I just fondly remember all the good times I had with her. That's what we should all do: When life gives us heartache and devastation, we remember good times, and we can keep memories of our deceased friends alive forever. That way, we can go through hardships in life. No matter what.

~ EMF ♥

Thank you for writing this, graficks. I once had a very special friend--she was my best friend in the entire universe, and we were inseperable. I told myself I couldn't live without her. Then one day, she suddenly... went. I was heart-broken... I cried constantly.
OMG that happend to me too I had this friend we were really good friends bffs and one day she forgot about me stoped calling to say hi and stuff like that.I had that problem were I would cry most of the time I also got more school stress and more stress about what people think of me,what I wear,etc. but I found tamachat and my life became so much better for me I got little less stress and I try to deal with bullys and I say to myself "just remember that when schools over you get to talk to our friends online" so yeah my life at the moment sucks and trust me if you had aspergers too it wouls be kinda like mine right now.I have a sucky 8thgrade school life ;~; (btw when I typed this I was crying thinking about my friend that left me.Grace I will miss you I dont think you will miss me though ;~; )

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG that happend to me too I had this friend we were really good friends bffs and one day she forgot about me stoped calling to say hi and stuff like that.I had that problem were I would cry most of the time I also got more school stress and more stress about what people think of me,what I wear,etc. but I found tamachat and my life became so much better for me I got little less stress and I try to deal with bullys and I say to myself "just remember that when schools over you get to talk to our friends online" so yeah my life at the moment sucks and trust me if you had aspergers too it wouls be kinda like mine right now.I have a sucky 8thgrade school life ;~; (btw when I typed this I was crying thinking about my friend that left me.Grace I will miss you I dont think you will miss me though ;~; )
I didn't mean she stopped being my friend, I mean she WENT.

Thank you for writing this, graficks. I once had a very special friend--she was my best friend in the entire universe, and we were inseperable. I told myself I couldn't live without her. Then one day, she suddenly... went. I was heart-broken... I couldn't eat and cried constantly. I was devastated when people mentioned her... but here I am. I no longer cry when I think of her--I just fondly remember all the good times I had with her. That's what we should all do: When life gives us heartache and devastation, we remember good times, and we can keep memories of our deceased friends alive forever. That way, we can go through hardships in life. No matter what.

~ EMF ♥
That happened to me too, except she was an online friend. She comes back on a particular date every November in the night, and does nothing despite all the messages I sent her telling her at least to say goodbye. I don't even know what happened to her...I've done hours of research on everything I knew about her, but she has no Facebook page, no profiles on any other sites except Tamagotchi Home where she is also inactive, no nothing. Please don't be like that too. I'm always worried my online friends will leave suddenly...

~ Dazzmina ~

That happened to me too, except she was an online friend. She comes back on a particular date every November in the night, and does nothing despite all the messages I sent her telling her at least to say goodbye. I don't even know what happened to her...I've done hours of research on everything I knew about her, but she has no Facebook page, no profiles on any other sites except Tamagotchi Home where she is also inactive, no nothing. Please don't be like that too. I'm always worried my online friends will leave suddenly...

~ Dazzmina ~
That's not what I mean either. I mean she died.

~ EMF :(

This topic was brought up when we did Buddhism at school, we spent like 2 lessons learning about it, and to be honest neither that nor this topic has had any influence on me. I can't say things as you do. If I try to say anything serious, it always turns out sounding stupid. My life seems insignificant, I can't live in the present moment. Nothing like that has ever happened to me. I feel I shouldn't talk of devastation or hardship because I've never experienced it. They seem words locked out from my use and I won't be using them again here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back