Lowering voting age to 16?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RawryCakes.x

Reaction score
In some countries the voting age is already 16, but in other countries like us and Canada, they're debating whether the voting age should be lowered or stay the same.

What do you think?

I didn't even know this was a real debate topic right now. I thought it was the drinking age they were debating.

Either way, the voting age should definitely not be lowered. The last thing we need right now are more uneducated teenagers making decisions for the country. I would know. I'm a sophomore, and everyone in my class is fifteen and sixteen. And we honestly don't know much of what is going on in politics. That is not our main concern. Most adults don't know what's going on in politics, let alone teens.

I know that even if you are legally of age you do not HAVE to vote, you just have the option to (though it is an obligation to your country to vote). Sixteen is still too young.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know this was a real debate topic right now. I thought it was the drinking age they were debating.Either way, the voting age should definitely not be lowered. The last thing we need right now are more uneducated teenagers making decisions for the country. I would know. I'm a sophomore, and everyone in my class is fifteen and sixteen. And we honestly don't know much of what is going on in politics. That is not our main concern. Most adults don't know what's going on in politics, let alone teens.

I know that even if you are legally of age you do not HAVE to vote, you just have the option to (though it is an obligation to your country to vote). Sixteen is still too young.
This.

16 year olds are way too immature to hold that sort of responsibility. Plus, a lot are not educated enough to make this sort of decision. Just no. I don't even trust myself to vote yet and I'll be 16 in a couple months.

I do not agree with lowering the age.

16 year olds are far too immature and young to have an influence of how our country is run. I am 13, and I know next to nothing about politics. I am sure everyone will vote the same as their friends anyways. B)

I do not agree with lowering the age.16 year olds are far too immature and young to have an influence of how our country is run. I am 13, and I know next to nothing about politics. I am sure everyone will vote the same as their friends anyways. :)
Exactly.

Except I'm 14. x3

I think that would be a pretty bad idea.

I think they're too uneducated (for the most part) and have a lot more to worry about at that age. I don't think it would work out. Pretty much what everyone else said.

I didn't even know this was a real debate topic right now. I thought it was the drinking age they were debating.Either way, the voting age should definitely not be lowered. The last thing we need right now are more uneducated teenagers making decisions for the country. I would know. I'm a sophomore, and everyone in my class is fifteen and sixteen. And we honestly don't know much of what is going on in politics. That is not our main concern. Most adults don't know what's going on in politics, let alone teens.

I agree completely. It's sad, really. The people that I go to school with try to sound like they know what they're talking about when it comes to politics, but you can tell that they don't. And these are juniors. I myself am 17 and don't know much about politics. I do like to research what the candidates support and what they believe in, but other than that, I really don't pay much attention to the details. I don't think a 16 year old needs to be voting. Period. :D

Lowering it? o.o It's low enough. I actually think it should be 21+.

I'm 20. I know nothing as far as politics go, and so I didn't vote last year.

As far as I've seen, most people my age are the same way. They don't pay attention to it, or just don't care about it.

We're not good at voting when it comes to politics. We're good at voting for things like American Idol.

So no, I don't think it should be lowered. I think it should be raised if anything.

16 year olds have school to worry about, and yeaaaaaaaaaaaah...............................................................................I bet they dont know anything about politics (I dont either ☺)

♥xxxkiroxxx♥

I voted "yes" but then I thought about it and realized I should have voted "no".

16 still really young, practically a kid, and even though there are probably some mature 16 year olds, most are not.

Interesting how all of you said no, but the other day I was at a workshop and the adults were all like "Children need to get more involved with politics!"

I disagree with lowering it. Kids have other things to worry about other than politics.

Interesting how all of you said no, but the other day I was at a workshop and the adults were all like "Children need to get more involved with politics!"
Children should get involved. I never said they shouldn't.

But most kids still aren't responsible enough to vote.

Just saying here, But from What I'm reading here, It seems like people are saying that 16 year olds aren't really into politics/too young/too stupid.

Not All 16 year olds are stupid. Heck, I know some who are more mature than people in their 40's/whatever age.

Its like, Everyone thinks that pretty much all tens are into music/partying/fun. Sure, Alot are, I am too, Except for Partying, I actually wouldn't be caught dead at a teen party with loud music and dancing and stuff.I'm more into the serious things. I could sit all day at some type of conference thing, or even those "Boring" assemblies at school, and I'd actually pay attention. with interest.

I'm 16, Politics and Government stuff interest me alot. I'm not Stupid. Half of the conversations I have with my teacher at school usually has something to do with Politics.

like, if I had a friend who ran for something, I'm not gonna vote for them just because there my friend, I'd vote for the Right person, Whoever I think would do a good job,

You know, If I were an adult, and I had a Kid, and that kid grew up and Ran for Prime-Minister, or MLA, or Mayor or whatever, That Doesn't mean I'd vote for him/her, I'd Vote for whoever I think would do a good job. Who knows, The Kid could be promoting things I don't beleive in.

Politics has NO friends or Family. Rant to me about that, But Thats My Opinion.

So I agree that the Voting age should be lowered to 16.

[SIZE=7pt]^ I can see where you're coming from. Not all people at age sixteen are always immature. Hm.[/SIZE]

My opinion is unknown at the moment, but I would mostly lean towards a 'no.'

Some teenagers are smart, intelligent, and mature enough to vote, while you have the others who can hardly take care of them selves and are tangled up in so many problems.

This is America's future, it can't be in bad hands.

Children should get involved. I never said they shouldn't.But most kids still aren't responsible enough to vote.
Yeah.

They still don't know these kind of stuffs.

For example:

They vote for *name of the person who's running for a president* 'cause they thought that he/she can lead all of the citizens nice. But the kids didn't know that the person that they voted is really irresponsible.

Its true that they should get involved and know the things about politics but they should be old enough and be more responsible to vote.

Oh, please. Most sixteen-year-olds are pinkos/wannabe rebels at heart. Of course, not all teenagers are morons. They have strong opinions, but it's not enough to base a government on. I don’t mean to sound belittling, but voting is not just a right, but also a duty. In most democracies voting age is based on the other obligations expected by society. If such duty is placed on a very young person’s shoulder, who knows what other responsibilities will follow. Maybe teachers and other "authoritarian" adults in their immediate environment will rely on them taking excessive charge of themselves or to assume qualities that most likely will crash with today’s teenager’s mindset.

But anyway, the political issues that concerns people at that age, education, safety, health, rights and so on, should be taken much more seriously than they are today (on a world-wide basis).

Oh, and I’m twenty. There was an election in my country this year. I voted for the guy who won, even though he’s a slick SOB.

Like everyone else said, I believe most teens know little to nothing about politics. They're most likely to go with whoever they think is better, were that candidate has horrible political views. I think it should be raised, a freshman in college, like a frat boy, probably knows about as much as the Political system as a 16 year old.

Err, no. The last thing this country needs is a bunch of ignorant teenagers having a say in how the nation is run. Honestly, I think the voting age should be raised to 25+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back