" Mental Illnesses "

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notes.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a while, and I do understand it's a very touchy topic, but I was curious. Morbidly curious. Feel free to exit if you can't say something appropriate toward the subject, thank you..

I was wondering if anybody here has gone through similar depression, anxiety, panic, all the like. I'd like to know your thoughts on what happened, or what you went through, what you believe was the cause..

I went through a serious bout of what the doctors diagnosed as anxiety and what I honestly thought of more as depression. I had a lot going on - I guess it started when I moved into a new district and a new school, and had to make new friends. Then I went back to the school I'd been in since kindergarten, and things seemed to get better, but it was no less stress than before, and I don't seem to handle stress very well.. I went through spells of seriously thinking of self harm or suicide, but didn't say anything until things were too much and I broke down. Once my mom found out about all this, I was taken to the doctor and given a perscription of an anti-anxiety medication.

It's helped a bit with handling the stress, but when something important or bad that really affects me, it hits hard again. It's a scary feeling, actually..

If you'd like to share your own thoughts, go ahead. I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

[ I also hope the title of the topic didn't offend anyone. o.o" It just seems more fitting than anything else I could think of, because most things that would fall into this topic also happen to fit under a list of mental illnesses.. I'd feel bad if anybody took it offensively, though, and I'm sorry if you do. ]: ]

I haven't gone through any of this, but my friend sure has.

She told me that she feels like she shouldn't live and even put a knife againgst her wrist right in front of me. I have a feeling this was all caused with a car crash that happened to kill both her mother and father (which makes her an orphan). She's getting better slowly (since the crash happened 2-3 years ago) and at the moment she lives with her aunty and uncle. Soon after the crash, her grandparents took her to a doctor who helps with this type of stuff (I forgot what its called) and what they did seemed to help.

My love goes out to you all who have had this/similiar happen to them or close family/friends.

When I was in elementary school, I was severely depressed. To the point of being suicidal in fourth grade. In my old school, I was a top student and such. Straight A's and such. So the teachers would constantly pressure me, and.. It just, pushed me over the edge. In fourth grade, we were learning how to play the recorder. I hated it, so I never practiced. Well, we would have a Flag Day concert, and every fourth grade class was required to 'audition' to be in the show. I would be in the show already- I was in GNT music, and we sang. Well, when it was my turn, I choked. The music teachers weren't saying they were 'appauled and shocked. this is unexeptional from a girl like you, you have let us down' and so many other hurtful things. I had a lot going on back then- GNT music, GNT drama, GNT art.. I only liked the art one. After the teachers said those things, I couldn't stop crying. It broke me. So I went into a suicidal fit.

But today, I am better. It was decided it was the teacher's fault.

Well, My brother is 14 and i'm 13...physically. My brother is autistic, mentally challenged so he's mentally about 3 or 4 years old. Sometimes he has a temper tantrum and would beat me up, well used to, now i'm strong enough to take care of myself. I never really had any friends till about 5th grade, because I was always a geek that no one liked. So, once when I was younger I would ponder about suicide and if anyone would miss me or if no one would care. It takes a lot to make me cry now because I used to cry a lot when I was younger, now I really just don't care. I'm not passionate enough to feel pity for most people. I do, but it depends what they've gone through, because sometimes some people just don't know how lucky the are.

So, that's about it on my mental issues.

When I was younger my dad was let go from his job because some man could do his job and someone elses too. We were fine since my mom had a high paying job but he fell into depression. I didn't know about it until about a year later when I went downstairs and saw his curled over at his desk crying so I went and told my mom who told me parts of it. It's hard having family so close to you being depressed and I know he still struggles to stay happy even though he has the medications and has started his own business. My family tries alot to help out.

I have recently just got over a depression. I still don't feel quite like myself, but things are better.

I was depressed because of all the pressure at school, and because of how my lovelife had went downhill.

I felt like nobody wanted me. I felt like nobody cared.

I'd cry myself to sleep, and I'd cry whenever I got the chance.

I was going through so much pain inside, but I didn't tell anyone.

The teachers expect so much of me, and at times, I just can't take it.

They expect me to be perfect, so when I'm not, they become mad and I become stressed.

My friends say hurtful things to me, and put me down alot.

At home, things aren't better.

Me and my family argue a LOT. Especially me and my mom.

We fight about the smallest things mostly everyday. It results in screaming, crying, and threatening.

I always tell her I'm going to run away and never come back.

And sometimes, I want to. I want to just get away from it all. Sometimes I do want to live in complete isolation.

Then there was my love life. Oh, how that never helped things. I got my heart broken, and it never did heal.

So I fell into a depression. I forced myself to put up with people, put up with school.

I'd come home, then lock myself in my bedroom until supper.

That was my life for months. Crying. Arguing. Being stressed out.

Luckily, it's gotten better.

I still don't feel as good or happy as a girl my age should, but it's better.........

I've never told anybody about this before. It feels good to get it out in the open in a place people won't judge me.

Yeah when I was in year 4 I had panic attacks all the time at night because our class was going on a trip and half way up the road there was a man in a car and another man hitting him with a crobar people where screaming and I had a bad headach and then I went to my swimming lessons later then at night I kept panicing and saying I was gonna throw up so i had the sick bucket at the end of my bed for about a year. Waking up in the middle of the night really scared. I was ony 8 and went to a counsiler. I'm cool now.

I suffer from anxiety.

Last year, I was in a short-term depression that lasted about four months.

Now?

The school wants me to go to a psychologist or doctor e.e

I think I'm perfectly fine.

Only in school, I feel bleeehhh because I'm always excluded.

I don't like to admit I'm depressed or whatever.

I don't wanna sound like those girls who get depressed over stupid things like getting into fights with their friends, or their parents refused to get them that brand new cell phone, or the boy they like is going out with someone else.

That's just stupid to me.

When I started 7th grade I had battled with depression and anorexia.

The summer before I started 7th grade I was diagnosed with a skin condition - I'm not going to name it here, as it's extremely rare and you could probably find me by looking it up. I thankfully don't have it bad, and it's not known to progress to other layers of tissue. But cosmetically, I had these brown splotches on my back. I never really thought anything of them, until people started pointing them out at the pool, and it spread down my arm. So my mom took me to a dermatologist, and then to a rheumotologist. The perscribed medication for me - to make the skin discoloration go away, and make sure it didn't spread or affect me anywhere else. One of the perscriptions the put me on was Prednisone - a steriod. Prednisone makes you bloat and gain weight like crazy, which is where most of my problems began.

7th grade is when you move from elementary school to Junior High in my school district, so things were bound to be stressful enough. But when you add a gain of 20 lbs in two weeks and none of your new school clothes fit to the mix, you get a disaster. My self-esteem plummetted and I became obsessive with my eating habits. I thought that if I dieted enough I would be able to reverse the effects of the Prednisone. So I basically stopped eating, and when I did eat, it was obsessively healthy food. I wrote down everything I ate and cut all complex carbs out of my diet. Whenever I gave in and ate M&Ms or something, I would start crying hysterically. I didn't know anything about cutting yourself then (I was very sheltered and naive), but if I would have known about it I would have. I would cry myself to sleep every night and bang my head against the wall of my bedroom, hoping to knock myself out from what I was feeling.

My doctor asked me what I wanted for Christmas that December and I told him I wanted to be off the medication. So he started taking me off. You can't just stop taking a certain drug at once, so he had to take me off slowly. But even then, my body experienced withdrawl and I experienced intense migranes. But, just after Christmas, I was down to... I think 1/8 of the dosage I was on before. By the time February came around, I lost all of the excess weight I gained on the pills, and everything that I had dieted and excessivly excercised off.

And it showed. You could see all my bones through my chest and my arms had no fat on them - I could easily wrap my hand around them. People started calling me anorexic, which is really no better than being called fat. I felt completely imperfect - that nothing I ever did was good enough. I weight just under 70 lbs.

My doctor then said he was going to hospitalize me if I didn't start eating. I started slowly, but it took me about a year to recover. And even then, I'm still very skinny, and worry when I eat too many unhealthy foods.

I battled with anxiety and depression in the late winter and spring of 8th grade then. As much as I hate to admit it, it was probably mostly peer-pressure related. Being around so many angsty people wore off on me. I lost interest in everything, and stopped caring about life. I started cutting my wrists and I lost a lot of my old friends that way. I did consider suicide - but I'm not a quitter and fear failure, so I didn't let myself do that, although I planned it out for the most part.

Things got better over the summer and with this school year, though I do have my days. I have pretty much stopped hurting myself and am learning to move on. Though I still feel selfish and guilty whenever I think about how I was and how I still can be, because I've never really had a "tramatic event" in my life that could trigger these actions and feelings. But I take things one day at a time, and I'm doing well now.

When I started 7th grade I had battled with depression and anorexia.
The summer before I started 7th grade I was diagnosed with a skin condition - I'm not going to name it here, as it's extremely rare and you could probably find me by looking it up. I thankfully don't have it bad, and it's not known to progress to other layers of tissue. But cosmetically, I had these brown splotches on my back. I never really thought anything of them, until people started pointing them out at the pool, and it spread down my arm. So my mom took me to a dermatologist, and then to a rheumotologist. The perscribed medication for me - to make the skin discoloration go away, and make sure it didn't spread or affect me anywhere else. One of the perscriptions the put me on was Prednisone - a steriod. Prednisone makes you bloat and gain weight like crazy, which is where most of my problems began.

7th grade is when you move from elementary school to Junior High in my school district, so things were bound to be stressful enough. But when you add a gain of 20 lbs in two weeks and none of your new school clothes fit to the mix, you get a disaster. My self-esteem plummetted and I became obsessive with my eating habits. I thought that if I dieted enough I would be able to reverse the effects of the Prednisone. So I basically stopped eating, and when I did eat, it was obsessively healthy food. I wrote down everything I ate and cut all complex carbs out of my diet. Whenever I gave in and ate M&Ms or something, I would start crying hysterically. I didn't know anything about cutting yourself then (I was very sheltered and naive), but if I would have known about it I would have. I would cry myself to sleep every night and bang my head against the wall of my bedroom, hoping to knock myself out from what I was feeling.

My doctor asked me what I wanted for Christmas that December and I told him I wanted to be off the medication. So he started taking me off. You can't just stop taking a certain drug at once, so he had to take me off slowly. But even then, my body experienced withdrawl and I experienced intense migranes. But, just after Christmas, I was down to... I think 1/8 of the dosage I was on before. By the time February came around, I lost all of the excess weight I gained on the pills, and everything that I had dieted and excessivly excercised off.

And it showed. You could see all my bones through my chest and my arms had no fat on them - I could easily wrap my hand around them. People started calling me anorexic, which is really no better than being called fat. I felt completely imperfect - that nothing I ever did was good enough. I weight just under 70 lbs.

My doctor then said he was going to hospitalize me if I didn't start eating. I started slowly, but it took me about a year to recover. And even then, I'm still very skinny, and worry when I eat too many unhealthy foods.

I battled with anxiety and depression in the late winter and spring of 8th grade then. As much as I hate to admit it, it was probably mostly peer-pressure related. Being around so many angsty people wore off on me. I lost interest in everything, and stopped caring about life. I started cutting my wrists and I lost a lot of my old friends that way. I did consider suicide - but I'm not a quitter and fear failure, so I didn't let myself do that, although I planned it out for the most part.

Things got better over the summer and with this school year, though I do have my days. I have pretty much stopped hurting myself and am learning to move on. Though I still feel selfish and guilty whenever I think about how I was and how I still can be, because I've never really had a "tramatic event" in my life that could trigger these actions and feelings. But I take things one day at a time, and I'm doing well now.
I can relate to you.

But I can't completely understand, since my situation was different.

When middle school started I never cared about what I looked like, but people started pointing out this skin condition I was born with.

The doctors always told me that no medication would work and that I would grow out of it.

I still have it now.

It used to spread across my face but now its only on my left arm and my thighs so it is getting better.

I also I had to move in with my uncle and aunt while my parents were away in Europe for business.

My older cousin was abusing me.

He verbally and physically harmed me.

I tried not to listen but it just got to me. I became anti-social and I was diagnosed with an eating disorder.

That was all fixed within half a year.

Then my aunt, uncle, and parents found out my whole situation with my cousin, and to put more stress on me I had to go to court and everything.

I sadly did turn to self harm.

I still do right now, just not as much.

I found out that writing made me feel a lot better.

After the whole court thing was over my parents asked me if there was anything they could do to make me feel better.

I answered, "Get me away from here."

I wanted to be away from everyone I knew.

They sent me to a boarding school. I felt better and more free.

Most my problems went away.

The only problems are my thoughts of *horrible* things, and me turning to self harm.

My parents still haven't found out about the self harm problem.

At boarding school I met someone, we started dating but turns out I was bringing myself into another abusive problem. I didn't get abused, but my friend did.

I felt it was my fault and then later on after much drama it was all ended in the worst way.

My other friend killed himself.

He was sick and tired of all the drama and apparently, I think it's partly my fault.

The day before he left me a note telling me his feelings. He told me that he was in love with me and he's too much of a coward to protect me from anything. He said he had to end his life because he'd be only wasting space because he was nothing more than a coward.

He had sent out a few other notes to other people too.

I just recently got out of boarding school.

I'm going to a public school and I'm still unhappy.

I feel excluded in everything and no one likes me for who I am, maing me think there's something terribly wrong with me.

Right now, I hate exclusion and I hate the imperfections that drive people away.

But I'm content because I do have those few people who care about me.

There's a lot of small details I didn't include but that's pretty much a shortened version.

I'm sure everybody still has their days.

It got particularly bad for me after a close friend of mine sent me a picture of his wrist - scars almost all the way down. I cried hysterically by myself and sulked around others for days because I was very convinced it was at least partly my fault, and I know it still is, because it's simply logic.

I go through spells of it now and then because things get to me more easily than they really should. My great grandmother passing away the day before my birthday definitly hurt, and while somebody would maybe cry for a few days, and then somehow find closure and say she's moved on to a better place, I moped for weeks. This on top of the stress of school made me lock myself in my room right after school, come out for dinner, and go to sleep right away, just to be unconcious for a while.

Last year, the stress was enough to make me stop eating for the most part, altogether. All I ate was dinner and maybe a snack during the day, and was called anorexic at school. The counselor noticed this and offered help, but I wasn't interested in the least bit in talking to her about my problems. It would only call attention to me, from my parents and my friends. Thankfully those eating habits finally diminished and my diet's nearly normal again..

I usually mask things in front of my friends and family because we're all so different. At school, I would be a poser, even in my friends' eyes; at home, I would be another 'problem child' because my sister went through therapy when she was younger for depression and anxiety, and was on medication for ADHD. There would always be something not quite right with me, no matter who I went to.

I'm trying to work on this, in case something happens that I fall back into it for whatever reason, because I'll need somebody to talk to. Nicole would probably best relate because she's gone through problems at home and is currently going through therapy, though it wouldn't exactly be the easiest thing for me to come out and tell her what I've been able to say here. Even she teases me with the 'emo' label, while she doesn't know anything behind it. It makes me feel all the more horrible for keeping things from her so frequently.

Slowly, though, I think things might be getting better. If they don't, I'll probably go with the doctor's suggestion and try therapy, anyway.

Yes.

Depression.

Panic attacks.

Anxiety.

I still get the attacks a lot. When people constantly move around me,, and it's loud,, and bright.

More terrifying than death, I should think.

I've always been "unhappy".

It came easily to me, thoughts of suicide, self-harm...

Not nly was it an escape from everything hellish about my life, but it was also an escape from myself.

So many times, I've come so very close.

I can not easily put it into words.

The way I feel. The lonliness. The emptiness.

How very, very dead.

Then everyone that knew.

Everyone that cared.

Everyone that brought it up to me and looked me in the eyes when they saw my pain.

Somehow, they're all gone.

It is my fault.

They either left, because of something I did,

Or they've died.

So many people.

Gone.

I hate this place.

Also, I think I could be considered legally insane.

I never sleep.

And I hear voices.

And rooms move.

And I get the most profound thoughts.

And yet, they mean nothing.

And I don't think I'm better.

Although it's been long.

And, oh, the very best part,

Some people know.

Two people, actually.

One hates me,

So much.

And one's in a center for kids with suicide attempts.

Sometimes,

I can't help,

That I feel so

Alone.

I almost committed suicide at school...I got very stressed, I couldn't handle it. From family problems to failing scores in social studies and much more. I had too much pressure. (That happened in 5th grade.) I've always been "unhappy". I can not easily put it into words.The way I feel. The loneliness. The emptiness. How very, very dead. Depression. Panic attacks. Anxiety. Too much. Also, I think I could be considered legally insane. I never sleep. And I hear voices. And rooms move. And I get the most profound thoughts. I don't like to admit I'm depressed. There was only one person that really cared... That one person that always stood for me and took my hand to success. My teacher. I thank him soooo much. If I didn't have him, I wouldn't know who would really understand me. Even my mother said I was crazy. She didn't listen. My teacher was the only one. Thank you ~ I almost jumped off that building that day. And thank you again.

Dedicated to Mr. Emrah (My teacher that saved my life...)

^Uh.You quoted me almost word-for-word.
Yeah, I noticed that too. o.0

Anyways, my New Year's Resolution for 2009 is not to let small things get me down.

Hopefully for the new year, I will be a happier person.....

Yeah. I suffer from something right now. I think it's bipolar disorder. I don't really want to talk about it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back