My first time on a Tama Forum!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buttercupxo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a tamagotchi collector who finally got the courage up to join a forum. I don't have a facebook so I thought a forum would be my best first step into finding friends and others who share one of my biggest interests! ^_^ ^_^

Hello and welcome to TamaTalk! :D It's really laid-back here - I'm sure that you'll like it and get on well with it.

Do you have a particular collecting focus? Like, older Tamagotchis, newer ones, or even non-Tamagotchi virtual pets? It's always interesting to see how a collection is structured.

Welcome to TamaTalk, buttercupxo! I don't have any social media accounts (and the ones I do I use more like search engines) so I don't have facebook either. For some people TamaTalk has been their first experience with forums or interacting with people online in general (not sure if it would count as social media or not). How long have you been collecting tamas?

Hello and welcome to TamaTalk! :D It's really laid-back here - I'm sure that you'll like it and get on well with it.

Do you have a particular collecting focus? Like, older Tamagotchis, newer ones, or even non-Tamagotchi virtual pets? It's always interesting to see how a collection is structured.
Thank you for the kind greeting! From what I've already seen everyone is very lovely!

I mainly focus on collecting the Connections (as those are the ones I grew up with) and have taken an interest to the color versions; however I would definitely like to collect some of the vintage Tamas. :)

What about yourself? :)

Welcome to TamaTalk, buttercupxo! I don't have any social media accounts (and the ones I do I use more like search engines) so I don't have facebook either. For some people TamaTalk has been their first experience with forums or interacting with people online in general (not sure if it would count as social media or not). How long have you been collecting tamas?
Thank you for the kind greeting! :)

It's good to hear that I'm not alone! I have been very hesitant about joining a forum but everyone already has been so kind!

I fell in love with them when I was only quiet young, (I am in my early twenties so I grew up more with the connections) but once I got to high school I was bullied for like things like Tamagotchis and Pokemon so I tried to force myself away from collecting. But about 3 years ago I said screw it and realized the people who really care about me won't make feel bad or ashamed for the things I love! :)

How about yourself? how long have you been collecting?

It's good to hear that I'm not alone! I have been very hesitant about joining a forum but everyone already has been so kind!

I fell in love with them when I was only quiet young, (I am in my early twenties so I grew up more with the connections) but once I got to high school I was bullied for like things like Tamagotchis and Pokemon so I tried to force myself away from collecting. But about 3 years ago I said screw it and realized the people who really care about me won't make feel bad or ashamed for the things I love! :)

That's good to hear you're having a good time :^) I also agree with you that people who actually care wont make you ashamed of the things you love; it makes perfect sense.

Like you, I grew up more with the connections as my first Tamagotchi was a V3 that I got when I was really, really young at Christmas. Actually, it was a wonder how I even got a Tamagotchi since being homeschooled, I missed out on all the fads. Around the time I got my V3, which could be anywhere from 2005-2008, I also got a V4 and a V5, and maybe others because I remember taking them apart and replacing the background with little images (sadly, I threw out those parts long ago but I wished I had kept them so I could reassemble them). I only really started getting interested in Tamagotchis again in 2016, as I started up my V3 again in November and bought a Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town around January of the next year. From that collection of 4 tamas (my V3, V4, V5, and Dream Town), I have since amassed 18 tamas and 7 oddpets (devices like Tamagotchis). I only have one colour (an ID) and most of my collection is connection and vintage models. I'm more interested in Oddpets at the moment as there is that special element of discovery.

Just one little note about our forum format. Rather than individually respond to each comment, you can put all replies into a single post and then post it. The mods prefer that as it keeps things neat. Also, you can edit your comments for up to 24 hours after they are posted, which is useful if you've made a typo or want to update your post :^)

You're very welcome, and I'm glad that you got over that hesitation - the more here the merrier! :D

Totally right! It's always great when people make that realisation - it's important to always be yourself.

Well, I got into Tamagotchis when the original Tamagotchi came to the West in 1997, when I was 13 (I'm in my mid-30s now), and I collected several different kinds of virtual pets back then, both by Bandai and not. However, life got busy, as life does, and I put the virtual pets hobby aside for several years.

When the Tamagotchi Connexion V4 was released in the UK, I picked one up on a whim, but I never really liked the Connexion/Connection line - it felt too over-complicated compared to the originals, and I found the lack of a complete life-cycle to be off-putting, so I lost interest quite quickly. (The general consensus that I noticed in this country at the time, was that the Connections were a bit of a misfired attempt at a comeback that didn't quite recapture what made the originals catch on.)

Fast-forward to last October, however, and the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini hit my country. I knew that they were very cut-down, but I still wanted one because they offered what I wanted out of a virtual pet - a complete life-cycle for a virtual creature, rather than a nigh-immortal multi-generational "virtual friend" who can get a job and have kids but who still poops all over the floor. :p I was able to get one from the first wave, amid all the sell-outs, and the cut-down nature of it took a while to grow on me, even though I'd known about it beforehand. This prompted me to finally properly get back into the hobby, and since last October I've amassed a collection of 16 mainly-vintage Tamagotchi and non-Tamagotchi virtual pets (which reminds me, I need to post an updated photograph over in the collection thread!). I should still have my old virtual pets from back in the day somewhere, and if or when I find them, I'll add them to my current collection, too.

I love penguins, so part of my collecting focus over the last year was to pick up every known dedicated penguin virtual pet that was made back in the day, which I have done, along with picking up some multi-pets old and new that feature penguins. :D And there's an upcoming penguin from the revived GigaPetsAR series, too - I can't wait for that!

But I'm getting off-track, now. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to hear you're having a good time :^) I also agree with you that people who actually care wont make you ashamed of the things you love; it makes perfect sense.

Like you, I grew up more with the connections as my first Tamagotchi was a V3 that I got when I was really, really young at Christmas. Actually, it was a wonder how I even got a Tamagotchi since being homeschooled, I missed out on all the fads. Around the time I got my V3, which could be anywhere from 2005-2008, I also got a V4 and a V5, and maybe others because I remember taking them apart and replacing the background with little images (sadly, I threw out those parts long ago but I wished I had kept them so I could reassemble them). I only really started getting interested in Tamagotchis again in 2016, as I started up my V3 again in November and bought a Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town around January of the next year. From that collection of 4 tamas (my V3, V4, V5, and Dream Town), I have since amassed 18 tamas and 7 oddpets (devices like Tamagotchis). I only have one colour (an ID) and most of my collection is connection and vintage models. I'm more interested in Oddpets at the moment as there is that special element of discovery.

Just one little note about our forum format. Rather than individually respond to each comment, you can put all replies into a single post and then post it. The mods prefer that as it keeps things neat. Also, you can edit your comments for up to 24 hours after they are posted, which is useful if you've made a typo or want to update your post :^)
Oh cool! and wow, I did homeschooling for the last part of high school; I feel like I did a lot better that way!

I did have 2 oddpets when I was younger, I went to my local toy store when I was like 8/9 and wanted to get another Tamagotchi but they were out of stock, but they had these little cheap $5 ones that at the time I didn't think their would be much of a difference (once I used them I found that their definitely was), but they ended up breaking and from then on I found my self drawn to just the regular thing, but I think it's cool now to see how many different ones there are!

Since my Tamagotchi P's I have been non-stop running it, but I occasionally will have a black and white one running at the same time if I have some time off work. Usually my V3 or Tama Go! ^_^

Thank you for that! I hope I got it right this time? :D

You're very welcome, and I'm glad that you got over that hesitation - the more here the merrier! :D

Totally right! It's always great when people make that realisation - it's important to always be yourself.

Well, I got into Tamagotchis when the original Tamagotchi came to the West in 1997, when I was 13 (I'm in my mid-30s now), and I collected several different kinds of virtual pets back then, both by Bandai and not. However, life got busy, as life does, and I put the virtual pets hobby aside for several years.

When the Tamagotchi Connexion V4 was released in the UK, I picked one up on a whim, but I never really liked the Connexion/Connection line - it felt too over-complicated compared to the originals, and I found the lack of a complete life-cycle to be off-putting, so I lost interest quite quickly. (The general consensus that I noticed in this country at the time, was that the Connections were a bit of a misfired attempt at a comeback that didn't quite recapture what made the originals catch on.)

Fast-forward to last October, however, and the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini hit my country. I knew that they were very cut-down, but I still wanted one because they offered what I wanted out of a virtual pet - a complete life-cycle for a virtual creature, rather than a nigh-immortal multi-generational "virtual friend" who can get a job and have kids but who still poops all over the floor. :p I was able to get one from the first wave, amid all the sell-outs, and the cut-down nature of it took a while to grow on me, even though I'd known about it beforehand. This prompted me to finally properly get back into the hobby, and since last October I've amassed a collection of 16 mainly-vintage Tamagotchi and non-Tamagotchi virtual pets (which reminds me, I need to post an updated photograph over in the collection thread!). I should still have my old virtual pets from back in the day somewhere, and if or when I find them, I'll add them to my current collection, too.

I love penguins, so part of my collecting focus over the last year was to pick up every known dedicated penguin virtual pet that was made back in the day, which I have done, along with picking up some multi-pets old and new that feature penguins. :D And there's an upcoming penguin from the revived GigaPetsAR series, too - I can't wait for that!

But I'm getting off-track, now. :lol:
I understand what you are saying in regards to putting it on hold, I definitely find myself floating between my different hobbies and just life in general. It's really cool that you got to experience seeing the first Tamagotchis coming out, I can't imagine how exciting it would have been! :D

It's so wild because I have heard it quiet commonly from a lot of other collectors from other countries how they aren't a big fan of the connections; where as here in Australia (at least where I am from) most people thought/think that the connections were the first ever Tamagotchi's It definitely makes me cringe, but I do understand that a lot of people here treated it like a fad, I don't actually know anyone in real-life where I'm from that collects Tamas. When people find out that I do collect a lot of the time they have that moment of nostalgia (Oh, I remember those!), not even knowing that they are still in production! :D

Wow, that is really cool to hear! I am glad you are enjoying collecting again, I have a few of the 20th anniversary ones too and I do enjoy having go of them self! I will pop over after this and have a look at your collection, I love seeing other peoples collections! I am hoping to post a picture of mine once the last of the ones I ordered a month ago arrive. I don't have many vintage Tamas at all as they are a bit hard for me to get my hands on, but I should have one arriving in the mail any day now! :lol:

Penguins are awesome! I think it's really cool when people have something special like that in their collection; something that makes it unique! :D

[...] in Australia (at least where I am from) [...] I don't actually know anyone in real-life where I'm from that collects Tamas.
Quite a few users on TamaTalk are indeed from Australia. In fact, if they aren't American or Canadian, they are usually Australian. They also seem to experience "left-out-itis" like we Canadians, in that our countries get mentioned so few times with other English-speaking countries we start to wonder if people know we exist XD (Although, I hadn't really heard "Australia" till I came here).

I did have 2 oddpets when I was younger, I went to my local toy store when I was like 8/9 and wanted to get another Tamagotchi but they were out of stock, but they had these little cheap $5 ones that at the time I didn't think their would be much of a difference (once I used them I found that their definitely was), but they ended up breaking and from then on I found my self drawn to just the regular thing, but I think it's cool now to see how many different ones there are!
There definitely are so many, just check out Porg's collection! I remember awhile back I tried looking for those cheap oddpets in my local Dollar Store but somewhat sadly, they are only available online. Lately, Chinese companies have made several different shells for a generically (and bizarrely) programmed cheap oddpet that I'm considering starting a little collection of those. Those shells range from a knock-off Tamagotchi shell, to penguin-like creatures, to houses, to clam-shelled dinosaur eggs. Being at the cheapest price imaginable, I'd imagine they would break as easily as the ones you had back then.

And yes, you did get our format right :lol: You can also edit quotes too, if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back