My Guinea pig is really ill....

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniwigg

Reaction score
Well my guinea pig Dec is really ill. He has got an infection and diarea. My other one Ant, I think is feeling lonely because they used to cuddle up to each other... He might die.... He is only tiny, he is about 15 weeks and he has lost loads of weight so he is titchy now..

Danni

TAKE HIM TO A VET! Excuse the big writing but it's really important that you get him to a vet...

Anyway, luckily I know a lot about guinea pigs. 8 years experience :) .

I have 3 guinea pigs. One of mine was like that and I didn't take her to a vet soon enough and she died. Well she needed an operation anyway...

If you have already taken him to a vet, make sure you give him a nice comfortable place to stay, away from your other guinea pig (you don't want 2 sick guinea pigs).

Since he's losing weight, try giving him nice soft food. Try Apple Puree and grated carrot. Since he has diorreha, make sure he has access to fresh water at ALL TIMES. He'll be losing fluids and if he can't drink from a bottle, put drop by drop on your finger and feed him that way. also, avoid all lettuce, it causes diorreha in guinea pigs. Never give him iceberg lettuce, even when he's well.

Keep him with you, even at night if possible, and definitely keep him inside.

If the worst happens... and he dies :huh: ... make sure you get a new companion for Ant. Remember that if you get a new guinea pig, quarantine it from the others for at least a week. :angry:

Hope that Dec gets better soon!

StarTama :lol:

Well my guinea pig Dec is really ill. He has got an infection and diarea. My other one Ant, I think is feeling lonely because they used to cuddle up to each other... He might die.... He is only tiny, he is about 15 weeks and he has lost loads of weight so he is titchy now..

Danni
Awww...

Poor little thing, maybe a trip to the vet would help?

Hope he dosn`t die..

T_R

StarTama gave some really good advice, i don't know much about Guinea Pigs, but i know a lot about cats and rabbits. i used to have a rabbit, but she died last year. and i might get a cat at some point in the future, so i've been reading a lot about them and taking notes. anyways, God Bless your guinea pigs and i really hope they get better! I prayed for your guinea pigs to get better. and you really should take him to a vet.

Awww...Poor little thing, maybe a trip to the vet would help?

Hope he dosn`t die..

T_R
We have and I think he is going to die in his sleep, because he is sleeping really heavily!! And he wont swallow the things we are gving him, to keep him alive...so he will probably die...

Danni
yes i also have my share of experience. i have had 2 guinea pigs and taken care of their babys. Try to recall if when you got dec at the store of they had advised to put a certian type of vitamin in his water. he could be missing somthing in his diet. and try changing his bedding, water and food often. Also be sure to especialy keep him away from the healthy pet, and give Ant a toy or somthing to sleep with so he won't be sad. :D

lol that was my cousin trying to sound smart :D but try that advice, and i hope it helps!

~Reanna

TAKE HIM TO A VET! Excuse the big writing but it's really important that you get him to a vet...Anyway, luckily I know a lot about guinea pigs. 8 years experience :) .

I have 3 guinea pigs. One of mine was like that and I didn't take her to a vet soon enough and she died. Well she needed an operation anyway...

If you have already taken him to a vet, make sure you give him a nice comfortable place to stay, away from your other guinea pig (you don't want 2 sick guinea pigs).

Since he's losing weight, try giving him nice soft food. Try Apple Puree and grated carrot. Since he has diorreha, make sure he has access to fresh water at ALL TIMES. He'll be losing fluids and if he can't drink from a bottle, put drop by drop on your finger and feed him that way. also, avoid all lettuce, it causes diorreha in guinea pigs. Never give him iceberg lettuce, even when he's well.

Keep him with you, even at night if possible, and definitely keep him inside.

If the worst happens... and he dies :D ... make sure you get a new companion for Ant. Remember that if you get a new guinea pig, quarantine it from the others for at least a week. :D

Hope that Dec gets better soon!

StarTama :D
I couldnt say it better myself!! Take him to a vet!! lol

We have and I think he is going to die in his sleep, because he is sleeping really heavily!! And he wont swallow the things we are gving him, to keep him alive...so he will probably die...
Well, I hope he lived a good life... :mametchi:

stay near him and try to change the angle he is sleeping in. maybe even wake him up and see if there are any last minute things you can do. if not, don't worry. it is not your fault.

~Reanna

awwww. i'm sry

i hope he gets better, i would hate to lose a pet

Guinea pigs are very fragile when it comes to illness. I've had several guinea pigs, and two of them died from bacterial infections that they gave to each other even before I could get them to their vet appointments. I still have the third one that was living with them, but I quarantined her immediately after the other two became ill. I'm sorry your pig died, but it sounds like he had already given up, andif an animal has no will to live, there's not alot you can do. I'm sure he feels much better where he's at now. :)

I'm so sry your guinea pig died. But I think I might know how he got sick-your not supposed to give any small animal veggies until they r at least 6 moths old. Also lettuce can kill them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back