Oboe!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psychotama

Reaction score
So who plays the most beautiful instrument in the world? It's so quirky and difficult at times D: but you gotta love it! discuss....

I don't play it.. but I kinda want to. My mom doesn't want me to switch from clarinet, and she said if she gets me an upgraded clarinet I can't.. (which I can understand) but I kinda want to play it.. is it a hard switch from clarinet.. is it easy/difficult, etc. I'm curious now. :)

I don't play it.. but I kinda want to. My mom doesn't want me to switch from clarinet, and she said if she gets me an upgraded clarinet I can't.. (which I can understand) but I kinda want to play it.. is it a hard switch from clarinet.. is it easy/difficult, etc. I'm curious now. :)
I've played clarinet for like 7 years and I decided to try the oboe because it's so...different haha. I started about a year ago and i've never had a lesson because I can't find a teacher and I'm the only oboe player in the school. The fingerings are completely different from clarinet, the embouchure is different, and you definitely need more breath control. The reeds are the most finicky little pieces of wood i've ever had to deal with X.X but it all pays off in the end.

Music wise, the oboe is more fun to play in a band because while the flute and clarie are playing a melody, the oboe plays weird little parts that tie the whole woodwind sound together. And if you ever wanted to be heard by the whole audience, oboe is the instrument for you. I learned this the hard way xD I'm first chair clarinet so I can't quit I just switch between clarie and oboe. But at my first concert playing oboe, it turns out the sound cuts above the entire ensemble. I could literally hear myself playing the whole concert lol. And the oboe gets lots of solos because it's sound is so unique. Also, if you are thinking about a music scholarship for college, oboe players have a much higher chance of getting a full ride because good oboists are so hard to find. So yeah I think you should go for it! You don't have to quit clarinet, just learn oboe on the side and eventually start playing it in concert. It's seriously the craziest instrument ever ;)

I do not play it. I play the flute and piccolo, but I sit next to two oboe players. I LOVE the oboe.... It's such a pretty instrument.

the piccolo.....such a piercing instrument D; lol. I mess around with my friend's all the time. It gives me such a headache. Flute just isn't my thing. I can't even get a sound out of it haha. And btw phantom of the opera is one of my most favorite things ever. Your sig makes me happy lol.

omg!!!!!! dude i play oboe in my 6th grade beggining band!!!!! in fact the girl who sits next to me (who also plays oboe) actually introduced me 2 tamas!!!!

omg!!!!!! dude i play oboe in my 6th grade beggining band!!!!! in fact the girl who sits next to me (who also plays oboe) actually introduced me 2 tamas!!!!
thats awesome. I wish I had gotten started back in 6th grade. I started clarinet in 5th.

Oh, I do! I've been playing since 5th grade. I've gotten quite good over the 5 years i've been playing, and have been in 4 band festivals and 3 band competitions. The only one that needed an audition was district band which i got into this year. I'm a sophomore so it's the first time i could try out. I didn't make it at first, but someone dropped out, and i was in! The rest of the band festivals were still select groups though. Thinking about majoring in it, but i still have a lot of time to decide.

Most importantly, i enjoy it and probably won't give it up any time soon. I do think it has a beautiful sound and want to impress people when i play, because i feel like it isn't as appreciated as it should be.

Haha, whenever I read "Stuff We Play" I think of videogames, not instruments. But I do indeed play the oboe. I have to go to a solo competition this weekend, actually. Urgh.

But yeah.

I started in 4th grade and currently am playing in my high school's honor band.

Next year I may be the only oboist in the honor band. e_e;

Idon'twannadosolosthepresssuuureee.

the piccolo.....such a piercing instrument D; lol. I mess around with my friend's all the time. It gives me such a headache. Flute just isn't my thing. I can't even get a sound out of it haha. And btw phantom of the opera is one of my most favorite things ever. Your sig makes me happy lol.
I know it is, but I enjoy it. I might start wearing a ear plug in my right ear.... I love flute, but I want to learn clarinet.... Oh and I know right!!! :D

Haha, whenever I read "Stuff We Play" I think of videogames, not instruments. But I do indeed play the oboe. I have to go to a solo competition this weekend, actually. Urgh.

But yeah.

I started in 4th grade and currently am playing in my high school's honor band.

Next year I may be the only oboist in the honor band. e_e;

Idon'twannadosolosthepresssuuureee.
I'm a soloist on piccolo... I hate being the only one, because of solos and stuff, but it's also fun, because your unique

@ Sweetpea: I love you and I don't even know you. You play the best instrument ever.

I play flute and piccolo (obviously lol), but my friend plays the oboe. I hear the reeds are really delicate and stupid. xD

But flute's cool that way cuz we have no reed :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back